TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Favorite Coaster Moment

Hey everybody!

As the title says, I was wondering what your favorite coaster moment is. Many people who go to theme parks have had at least one funny, cool, close, scary, special, or otherwise notable moment on a coaster. What's yours?

Mine is when I was riding Steel Eel at Sea World Texas. When I was riding with my dad in the front seat, we had taken our walkie talkies out for a photo pose (Don't worry, the park let us). If you've seen the layout of SE, you probably know that there are some small bunny hills right before the brakes at the end. As we went around the last corner, I dropped mine onto the floor. Frantically, I tried to grab it, but the airtime made it float! I managed to get it back before it blew away, and it has always been a cool moment ever since!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite coaaster moment is when I was 5, I went on my first coaster, Yankee Cannonball, at Canobie Lake Park. I had no idea what to expect, and it had just rained. It was fast, and full of airtime. Still my favorite wooden coaster. Yankee Cannonball is a 1930 PTC wooden coaster. Up until a few years ago it had gone 40 years without new trains or major retrack. 2 weeks after my first ride it was closed for a major retrack by CCI and new trains by PTC with seat dividers and headrests. Suprisingly, the new trains are very comefertable and the buzz bars allow some great airtime.

My favorite coaster moment was my first time on El Toro at SFGAdv on 8/14/08. I knew it was going to be insane, So me and my brother went in the back row of awesomeness. I was so exited when going up, we went around the curve toward the first drop, I put my hands up, "HOLY ****!!!!!" I said out loud as I was thrown out of my seat on the first drop. That is a big deal because I NEVER curse!

The rest of the ride was an airtime filled blur. The moment we hit the brakes, I just couldn't stop saying "HOLYCRAPTHATWASINSANEIT'SMYNEWNUMBER1COASTER" so fast it was just as hard to understand in person as it was typed in the previous line. I need to get back to NJ to ride this AMAZING ride again.

First time on BBW

The first drop into the village was probably one of the most intense moments on a roller coaster that I've experienced. The train felt like it was going SO FAST down that tiny little drop, the countless Wolf POVs that I watched before could not prepare me for anything like that. I actually thought that drop was actually better than the drop over the water.

Second is my first time on Alpengeist. I remember reading that the coaster was forceless, but I did feel some forces at the bottom of the first drop going into the immelman and inside the cobra roll. The ride itself was very disorienting and I really loved it.

Xcelerator @ KBF.

When I went, the only rides I had not ridden were Pony Express (broke down the last time I went) Ghostrider (was closed the last time I went) and Xcelerator (wouldn't walk near it the last time I went). (This visit was also in July 08' and the last time I had went was a month before in June).

I was really scared for it and was freaking out days before and the whole day inside the park. When I first got there I thought it might have been closed (:)) because it wasn't running, but unfortunately, it wasn't and I would have to ride it (I was forcing myself).

I was also with my friend's, and they really wanted to ride it, but they didn't care when so I kept putting it off until later in the day. Finally, I forced myself in the line. I was shaking, watching the launch go by and the people's faces just becoming blurs.

After about 20 minutes which seemed a lot longer, I was about to be next. I wanted to sit in the back since that's where I figured the launch would be the least intense, but my friend's wanted to sit in the front, so I talked them into the second row.

When we were about 2 people away, it broke down. People were leaving and leaving, but we stayed. Eventually we were almost the only one's in the station and the ride operator's had no idea when it would be fixed or if it would be fixed. So finally I left with 2 of my friend's while the other for some reason stayed. We went to Pony Express but it had a really long line (we got the credit later, don't worry) so we went back over to Xcelerator and found my friend who waited at the Coaster's Drive In Restaurant.

He told us he waited long enough to the point where the operator's told him and anyone else still waiting in the line that they could come back before closing, skip the line, and ride it. They were all excited and I was glad that I would ride it and get it out of the way, but I was also still scared of it and even more scared we'd have to ride it at night.

We ate at the Coaster's Drive In and then 2 of my friend's decided they were going to ride Supreme Scream. In case you didn't know, you pass Xcelerator's exit on the way to Supreme Scream, and for some reason they suddenly ran in it. My other friend and I followed them and within a minute, we were all pulling down Xcelerator's lap bar and waiting to launch.

It had all happened so fast which almost was a good thing since I didn't have time to think about it and get more scared, and here's when the best ride moment happened.

The train was slowly moving back, and my friend's were getting scared (which surprised me since they had acted so cool about the ride before) but I just kept my eyes on the lights slowly moving to green.

3 red

2 red

1 red

0 green.

And we launched. That launch was soooo intense and cool, and the rest of the ride was just awesome. The top hat filled with air-time, the smooth overbanked turns, and the brakes letting you catch your breath.

Xcelerator is my #3 roller coaster, the scariest coaster I've been on, and it still holds the best ride moment I've ever had.

My number one favorite moment was the first time I rode X2, it was the point at the top where it faces you down for the first drop, I remember thinking (and accidentally muttering) holy ****! It was the most amazing thing looking straight down from apx170 feet up.

My second favorite moment was on Sierra Sidewinder, my friend and I got lucky enough to be facing towards the ground in its lowest turn, it was one of the most intense moments I've had on a ride oddly enough, hopefully it'll happen again whenever I go there next.

Taking my girlfriend for her first EVER rollercoaster

I thought I'd break her in nicely, do a gentle ride.

So I took her on Nemesis at Alton Towers

Nice and gentle

Needles to say, she loved it, although her faces of fear before hand will always be something special

^^^^I remember I felt the EXACT same way when I went on Dragster, and I remember feeling "Wow. Just...... WOW!!! I wanna' do it again! I was scared of that? That was awesome!" I went for the 1st time in the 2nd seat and (oddly enough) 2nd time in the 1st seat. So I definitely know how you feel!

^^^I remember when I rode X for the 1st (and only) time, I was like that. Sitting in the station next to my dad, the right side of the car, the big restraints over my whole upper stomach and the techno music blaring in your ears. Then, you go up the LOUD as heck lift, reach the top, and crap your pants! Sadly, I didn't get to ride it in 2007 (literally, right before it closed to become X2) on my last trip to SFMM. Sigh, if only I hadn't ridden Tatsu right before that, I would have done it. Well, you can't do 'em all.

^^LOL! I remember I was like that when I rode my first (I think) coaster at the Puyallup Fair here in Washington.

^Hmmm...... That would be the ultimate date, a trip to Alton Towers for her 1st coaster. A lot of gentleness there!

I think my favorite times having to do with coasters have to do with the people I was with. On the East Coast Trip, the best times I think were ERT on Talon, Lightning Racers, Boulderdash, and Phoenix. Those rides were all incredible, and what made them so much better was to get to ride them over and over with close friends.

As for a specific area of a ride, the triple up on Boulderdash. By that point of the ride you are oblivious to anything and that final stretch of hills literally takes your breath away.

Toro's got nothin' on it.

I've got 3.

1: I got two consecutive rides on the Beast at night in the fog (THICK fog!!). That was the most epic coaster moment ever. On the second run going up the second lift, I said, "Am I dead?" because I saw nothing but the track lights at the top of the hill shining through the fog. It was cool.

2: The first time I rode Top Thrill Dragster. I literally could not talk for about 3 mins because of the sheer adrenaline rush going through me.

3: First time I rode the Voyage. To this day I have never ridden anything so intense and powerful. It blew me away. Still my #1 woodie and always will be.

My favorite coaster moment is when I rode the Phoenix at Knoebels 40 times in 1 day! This was in 2006 & I bought the all day ride pass & from 10:30 AM-8:00 PM I rode the Phoenix again, again, & again until the park closed. Even with the amazing ert we get on TPR trips I don't think I'll ever come close to riding 1 coaster that many times in one day again. Oh & the only other thing I did that day was ride Twister twice

Got 3 myself.

1. Riding Montu in 1996. Before that, the only other big coaster I had ridden or even known was Kumba. I had never heard of or even seen an inverted coaster at that point. The simple rush of the ride was amazing.

2. My first time on Superman: Ultimate Flight at SF Great America. This was my first coaster in 5 years plus. While not an amazing coaster (try to avoid it) the ride does mean something to me. It got me back into coasters.

3. My fiancee and I's first ride on Evel Knievel. She was fine with coaster before we took a trip to SF St. Louis for closing weekend. We took one ride on the coaster and she wanted to ride again and again. That ride, along with Mr. Freeze has helped make her a coaster fan as well.

The other kinda special moments for me are getting the last ride of the year on the Little Dipper at Kiddieland and Evel Knievel at SF St. Louis last year.

As a ride op in 2006,

I worked at Xcelerator at Knott's. I was standing at Load 1(Which is the position right in front of the christmas tree) and there was a couple sitting in row 1. Te guy kept pointing at the lights. unbeknownst to him, when the train launched, is hand was in front of his girlfriends face and the launch caused him to smack her in the face.

^Hahahahaha thats awesome.

My scariest moment was back in the 90's at some point when I was about 14. I used to have a habit of leaving restraints 'loose' as I liked the sensation of being flung about a bit more, so when the op came to push them down I'd sit forward a bit so it looked like it was tight.

I tried this on the Thunderlooper (Schwarzkopf shuttle loop) at Alton, and had the lap bar a good four inches above my legs. At this time the ride was having issues, they couldn't send a full train out for some reason. As we reached the top of the loop on the way back, with not enough speed I started to fall out of my seat, nearly crapped myself, and never rode it again without the lap bar fully down.