TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags South Carolina 1975-Today [RCT3]

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22nd Season

I've got great news! Next year's addition will be announced TOMORROW! From looking around the internet a little while today, it seems that most people believe that 2001 will bring a new coaster. The only question is: What kind will it be?

They've got a good plot of land to work with.

There is no sign of RoadRunner remaining. I was told that some of the ride's themeing will be dispersed and reused at other Six Flags parks.

Here's one last shot of Undertaker!

Signing off,

Tommy

Announcement

Straight Up, With A Twist! At Six Flags South Carolina

The new high-thrill supercoaster being built at Six Flags South Carolina for the 2001 summer season will rocket riders at speeds up to 70 mph – forward and backward – straight up and straight back down two 185-foot vertical skytowers.

Called “V2: Vertical Velocity,” the new Six Flags South Carolina ride will be the first of its kind East of the Mississippi River and one of only three suspended spiraling impulse coasters in America. When it opens Memorial Day Weekend, V2: Vertical Velocity will become the new tallest, fastest, most extreme roller coaster in the southeast. The new-generation impulse coaster’s extreme acceleration will “launch you into sensory overdrive,” Park officials declared, and deliver unparalleled “air time” – that free-fall feeling of weightlessness that roller coaster thrill seekers treasure.

The signature feature of V2: Vertical Velocity is a spiraling corkscrew atop the first vertical skytower, giving riders a wicked whirl just as they reach its already-dizzying heights. On the back swing, the straight-shot second tower dangles the daring and dauntless passengers face down from 18 stories high before releasing them on a pulse-pounding plummet back into the station.

V2: Vertical Velocity is manufactured by Intamin Worldwide of Switzerland. Its 28 passengers are secured, legs dangling, in ski-lift-style seats suspended beneath the steel track. An advanced-design propulsion system applies sequentially pulsing electro-magnetic power to propel the train at high speeds along the 670-foot-long, U-shaped track. The V2’s innovative Linear Induction Motor represents the bold future of extreme rides and is the only high-tech coaster launching system of its kind in the area.

Six Flags South Carolina's V2: Vertical Velocity is modeled after America’s first suspended, spiraling impulse coaster, called Superman: Ultimate Escape, which opened to rave reviews at Six Flags Ohio in 2000 and is rated one of the world’s top 25 steel roller coasters by Amusement Today magazine.

Vertical Velocity will stand on the land once occupied by the park's RoadRunner coaster.

The park's skyline will change drastically yet again in 2001. Click above to see a larger image.

Don't want to bash it, but it's definitely my least favorite addition.

1. The coaster's layout has never been used on any Impulse coasters.

2. When the coasters were introduced, the supports were a little heftier. In 2003 they added more supports.

3. That whole section before the spiral is unnecessary given that the GAm model doesn't have that, and neither do any of the 2001 models.

Don't want to bash it, but it's definitely my least favorite addition.

1. The coaster's layout has never been used on any Impulse coasters.

2. When the coasters were introduced, the supports were a little heftier. In 2003 they added more supports.

3. That whole section before the spiral is unnecessary given that the GAm model doesn't have that, and neither do any of the 2001 models.

That is actual concept art by Six Flags, that is not RCT3. They used this to announce V2.

I never expected an Impulse but I think you made a great choice. The skyline shot is awesome and V2 does fill it in quite nicely. Do you know of any hotel deals near the park?

Now you can market the park as being the first with three coasters that hang from the track.

Edited by Geauga Dog

I never expected an Impulse but I think you made a great choice. The skyline shot is awesome and V2 does fill it in quite nicely. Do you know of any hotel deals near the park?

Now you can market the park as being the first with three coasters that hang from the track.

In 2001 Six Flags Great America had 3. Batman, V2, and Deja Vu. I believe when Superman they even considered it a below track coaster for a total of 4. Deja Vu was taken out in 2007 though.