TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags South Carolina 1975-Today [RCT3]

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Hello! My name is Joe Martin and I am a local journalist who has been assigned to the Charleston Gardens story! And what a story it has been these past few years!

For those of you who might not have been following the story closely, I'll give you a quick recap:

After Hugo, Funtime Parks, Inc. left the park untouched for the majority of 1991 as they dealt with insurers and continued the search for a new operator.

Earlier this year, Funtime Parks, Inc. announced that they had handed the park over to the city of Charleston in an undisclosed deal. There were no numbers released on how much the transaction cost either side.

Since that transaction took place, the city has cleaned out the heavily damaged buildings and have started soliciting the park to possible buyers, apparently offering quite a good deal to any taker.

Now it is late August of 1992, nearly three years after Hurricane Hugo struck the coast. There are whispers throughout the city that a major announcement is approaching regarding the park. This could be anything from a buyer to the demolition of the entire park. I know the city is not going to hunt for a buyer forever.

I was lucky enough to be given a tour of the shattered amusement park.

16349899069_fae87e41f2_o.jpg

The entrance building has completely removed, as well as a large part of the building that held the park offices.

16535114942_5707be92f5_o.jpg

The carousel was damaged beyond repair.

15913610034_c5c5e05b0c_o.jpg

Gullly Gulch Grill and the Emporium next to it were both heavily damaged and were bulldozed by the city.

16535114892_b060c5d3ae_o.jpg

All of the coasters' trains were safelty taken into storage before the storm hit.

16350272537_ef82f44772_o.jpg

The interior of this game building was heavily damaged.

16348494608_b56da233a7_o.jpg

I was told over 60% of the trees in the "upper level" of the park were lost in the storm.

16350272637_4e34d62523_o.jpg

The SkyWheel ride partially collapsed during the storm and was removed earlier this year.

Thank you for following me through this tour! I will bring you updates as soon as we hear more about this announcement!

- Joe

Edited by coasterdude5

• 2 weeks later...

I've just learned that a huge announcement will be made tomorrow regarding the future of Charleston Gardens Amusement Park. No word on who is making the announcement. I've been told the announcement could be very positive or very negative. There's no telling at this point. Check back tomorrow to see what will become of the park!

- Joe Martin

November 1st, 1992

16551457658_b271569b12_o.jpg

CHARLESTON - Six Flags, Inc. announced plans today to invest over $30 million in the former Charleston Gardens Amusement Park and to reopen the park as Six Flags South Carolina in the spring of 1994.

Six Flags, Inc., which owns properties such Six Flags over Georgia in Atlanta, Six Flags over Mid-America in St. Louis, and Six Flags Great America in Chicago, said in a news conference today that a large part of the $30 million dollars will go towards repairing the heavily damaged and flooded buildings which have been left to decay since Hurricane Hugo hit the coast in 1989.

The remaining money will go towards new attractions and features inside the park, including Batman: The Ride, an inverted twisting and turning rollercoaster which will turn riders upside down a total of five times. A new carousel, ticket building, turnstile building, and a variety of shops and restaurants will also debut when the rebranded park opens.

"We see this property as a great opportunity to establish a presence in the Carolinas," a spokesman said at the press conference. "We are dedicated to not only returning this park to the condition it was in before the storm, but improving it for future generations to enjoy."

"Guests will see a very different park when it reopens," new park manager Jeffrey Bell said at the press conference. "We are excited about these changes.

With the Six Flags brand also comes well-known characters such as Bugs Bunny, Batman and Scooby-Doo.

Six Flags secretly acquired the property in late August and was able to begin repairing the infrastructure of the park. Representatives for the company expect construction on new rides and buildings to begin in January of 1993. They are anticipating the park to reopen by April of 1994.

Charleston Gardens Amusement Park opened in 1975 and closed at the end of the 1989 season as a result of the extensive damage from Hurricane Hugo. The park was sold to the city of Charleston in 1990 for an undisclosed amount by Funtime Parks, Inc.

16348714480_01399f05d7_o.jpg

Batman: The Ride will take riders upside down five times as they speed through Gotham City. Batman: The Ride will be part of a new area at the park named Gotham Studios.

This is a very exciting day for Charleston! I am looking forward to following the development and revitalization of this park!

- Joe Martin

Edited by coasterdude5

I am so stoked that this park is making a comeback. Shame about it being Six Flags though

I don't think that it's too bad it's becoming a Six Flags, cuse if you know what this guy is capable of in RCT 3, you know you wont be dissapointed, and i bet he will make an astonishing work with a six flags park

I was hoping Herschend or Busch would buy out the park since everybody always does SF buyouts for their RCT parks. And Herschend/Busch would continue focusing on the level of theming/attention to detail that you're is known for.

Oh well, at least the park survives for a few more years. Looking forward to the rest of the project.

Thanks for the replies!

I was hoping Herschend or Busch would buy out the park since everybody always does SF buyouts for their RCT parks. And Herschend/Busch would continue focusing on the level of theming/attention to detail that you're is known for.

Oh well, at least the park survives for a few more years. Looking forward to the rest of the project.

Aside from the Gully Gulch rides, most of the park is pretty much "generic." I think the park fits in perfectly with the rest of the Six Flags parks (during the 90's time period).