TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Ghost Town In The Sky Discussion Thread

• 3 months later...

Didn't want to start a new thread, and this was the closest to the news. If you're not facebook friends with Ghost Town in The Sky. Here's the news: Cliffhanger is now testing!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1933378&op=1&o=all&view=all&subj=53104733242&aid=-1&oid=53104733242&id=833537435 A nice shot of it testing, I'm not sure if non-facebook users can see it though. I think it's time for me to start planning my trip to GTITS and Dollywood now.

Just called the park, because I was thinking of going on Thursday. The lady I talked to said that it was being tested at this very moment by the state of NC, and that they're hoping to have it open for guests by July 4.

Glad I called first.

The title is very misleading. I got a facebook email from GTITS on Sunday showing it off, so I thought it actually did reopen. It's not open yet, although darn close. I've been holding off my trip to Dollywood until i'm 100% sure Cliffhanger will be open.

The parks website confirms that it's open, too. I'm in no hurry to get there until it's been running a little while, to work out any bugs.

I made this for the park, hopefully they will put it up:

709326462_Picture1.png.d9e28990343feb65127f8659bc121a4a.png

I rode this back in 1998 or so and the rickity track and train falling apart plus my fear of heights made this the scariest coaster I'd ever been on. I still count it as that, but I'm sure the new train will help a bit.

I do wonder if the loop still shakes back and forth when the train goes through it though. That was a bit disconcerting. It's hard to tell from the video but it doesn't look as shaky as it used to be.

I wonder also if they still have the indoor twister near the roller coaster. When I was there they were blaring AC/DC, this guy drinking from a giant beer can in a paper bag was running the ride and he gave us about 15 minutes ride time. I was crushing my former mother in law and after about 5 minutes it was a bit uncomfortable to say the least.

If I remember right there's a tiny dip after the lift and you round a curve into the station. Back when I rode it in the late 1990's it had a concrete pad sitting below the curve near the station with the cannibalized 2nd train sitting on it. I guess they were stripping it for parts for the train they had running at the time (which was duct-taped and seemed to be falling apart too). Scariest roller-coaster I ever went on.

I'm wondering if they still have the Yo-Yo swing ride that actually spun you out over the mountain side with a pretty steep drop underneath you. I only rode that once and was scared to death at the time.