TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Fun Spot in Northern Indiana remains closed for 2010

I was taking onride and JUST MISSED getting our crash on tape. The ride was over so I was turning off my video camera just when it hapenned --you can only see us all freak out for about 1/2 second (we went right through the brakes no grab and slammed into the car infront of us). I have footage afterward of the cars not where they're supposed to be and the less-than-stellar maintenance team trying to winch the cars back to the appropriate spots.

Hey timberskara, is there anyway you could send me that video or post to coastertube? Fun Spot fascinated me for some reason while i was there. Never been to a place like it. when was your trip?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was taking onride and JUST MISSED getting our crash on tape. The ride was over so I was turning off my video camera just when it hapenned --you can only see us all freak out for about 1/2 second (we went right through the brakes no grab and slammed into the car infront of us).

Yeah, that's not at all fun when something like that happens. We had a near miss on the ZL42 in Cairo where the train shot through the block brakes, and impact was only averted by a quick thinking ride operator who grabbed the train. Frankly I'm amazed he was able to stop it, but he managed it...

ILets face it, IN, OH, and MI have been hit some of the hardest in the country so it seems like the economy excuse could be true.

While that is true about the economy being quite poor in those states ( though I have friends who live in both Indianapolis and Cincinatti who claim otherwise ), I have to go with Rob about some of these places using the "economy" as an excuse.

Also as far the ecomony in itself goes, the press really isn't helping. A few weeks back I was in San Diego. Of course I stopped by Belmont Park. While there I had the chance to talk to one of their employees and she was telling me they had been hearing such things from the public as this..

"...I would love to spend some money but channel 10 told us not too because of the recession"

or even..

"..according to channel 8...I could be fired from my job tomorrow..better not spend my money on tickets...."

Back during the Great Depression radio & newspapers tried to cheer the public up" Today it really is the other way around.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
(3/5/10) According to one of our readers, Fun Spot in Indiana is likely to never open again. As you can see in this ad placed in Amusement Today the park is selling their coaster as well as their other 22 rides. I’m not sure if it is too late or not, but they’ve started a petition to show support for the park, asking that it be reopened.

Screamscape.com

Sign that petition!

^I doubt it, unless some local park decided they really wanted an old Arrow shuttle loop

While it's always sad to see a park close, it's no loss as the park didn't seem very good to begin with, and obviously, if it was popular, it wouldn't have closed. Pretty much all we can do is hope the rides and animals get sent to new homes.

• 1 year later...

News update:

IRM, the firm that resells rides, has posted all the attractions on the Fun Spot park are now up for sale. These include both the 'large' coasters (A Pinfari Zyklon from 1975) and the Arrow Shuttle Loop coaster from 1977. (According to IRM, the elevator IS included with the ride.)

A link to the Facebook page with the new rides for sale- and pictures.

Now if there are any inventive TPR members with 30 acres of land, you can get a pre-built package for your park!

R.D.

Those rides have been for sale for forever, IIRC. The latest issue of amusement today had a classified ad for them that had them going for a few thousand a piece. Sounds like they really want to just get rid of them.

They have been- but now that IRM has been called in, we can hope a few of those classic beauties find new homes around the USA before too long.

As much as an Arrow Shuttle Loop is considered dated/obsolete, it is still a visually attractive ride to me. Not to mention the Calypso, a very rare Schwarzkopf flat, and a Bayern Kurve I- one of the very few of those still around.

(BTW, I've been pestering Knoebels' about both of those rides... they'd look so good there!)

^ Why is there a petition? What's the point The park was dying, lets force it to open up and lose even more money? We have no right or claim to the park or the rides, only the owners and/or creditors do.

Surely, you will recall the awesome and terrifying power a small group of spurned enthusiasts is capable of wielding once it's found out that a roller coaster or theme park is closing. Give them a professional looking website clearly stating their goal and how it will be achieved and a working paypal link, stand back, and behold. Watch magic.

Petitions are only for the meek and those who follow.