TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Custom models of Sheikra, TTD, Insane and now Manta!

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to see you didn't make it a working model. Your skills as a modeler are improving, grasshopper.

If you do want to make a working model, I would suggest making a model of some kiddie coaster, like a Dragon. Something as complicated as a B&M Flyer I see as being incredibly difficult for a 1st working model. Start with something that you can learn the skills on and experiment, and then move up to more complicated things.

Manta is looking sharp. Keep it up!

Squid

Triggernel- Thanks! I'm psyched at how she is turning out.

Atem-Nah. But I'll be at SFMM over xmas break, maybe I'll see you there.

Squid-haha Thanks! I am with you with making a smaller working model before going to a big one. The biggest problem I am encountering with making one though, is the scale. If I went in HO or O scale, I would use coasterdynamix trains and lift hill, but make the track myself. But I am significantly beneath that scale, largely thanks to the size of my dorm room, which hinders me from going bigger. Either way, I am putting more attention to detail in to this model than I have the others, so the finished product should be sweet.

Thrillrideseeker- Thanks. As to your question, the reason I am painting last is because of the glue. On SheiKra, I had to go back and paint over all the glue for the rails, all of this after the spine and supports got painted. With this styrene glue too, it literally chemically melts the pieces together and it takes awhile to completely dry, so I figured it would be more efficient to do it at the end. Also, I don't really want to smell it in my small living space.

Jizzy- Hopefully you got here through my signature. I just added it there hoping to get more people who never come to this thread to check it out. And yes, it is a lot of fun, though very time consuming.

Fraroc-We'll see when it is complete. As the coasterdynamix guy said, it is tough to carry the speed on something so tiny. I guess we will see later, for now I just want it to look perfect.

Well, I want with what was advised to me in using styrene, and well, Evergreen Scale Models was the company I went with. The other company offered to me, on page 2 I think, was incredibly rude and frankly doesn't deserve my or your business. [/rant]

To connect the spine to the the rails by little strips I cut out of sheets. The sheets are just standard white sheets on their website. Then I use styrene glue, same stuff that you would use for a model car, to put everything together.

Any idea what coaster you are going to build?

Thanks for the link and the information. I have Non-toxic Cement for Plastic Models. On the back it says for joining polystyrene. It's what my brother uses for model cars so that would work fine, wouldn't it?

I wanted to do Apollo's Chariot, but I would have to build a landscape with it, because the lift is 177 feet and the drop is 210. I just want to do something easy,as this will be my first model, like maybe Mantis or Goliath at SFOG. If I can't decide what I want to build, I was thinking that I could just build a custom invert or something.

Ya that glue should work fine.

All I can say is you're being quite bold for (your first) model, and I wish you the best of luck. Goliath at SFOG is one of my favorites, and so is AC, so I would be very interested to see what you do with those. Mantis similarly is a good coaster, remember I was going to do Riddlers for a little bit. Best of luck my friend, and I will be here to answer any other questions or assist you.

2 finals down, 3 to go. Then its first drop time.

Your Manta model looks amazing and may have inspired me to give it a shot myself. I've always wanted to try it, and after checking out the link you gave selling Styrene, I might just have to.

Quick question though, what sizes are you using for the square and round tubing? Also, it may have been asked before (sorry if it has), what are you using for supports?

Yeah, yeah, yeah, Matt. You get to ride Manta whenever you want. You know I'm jealous haha. But then I rebutal by saying I have a Walter Bolliger autographed dive machine brochure. "Touche, Jordan. Touche." That's OK, I am sure someday we will end up in management somewhere ruling the place. I will glady ride X2, but first is the new credit in Terminator.

Chemical- Are you going to give Manta a go or another coaster? I have found all my coasters to be fun to make, except for TTD. The only reason that one wasn't fun is because I had "refined" my building techniques in building Insane, and when I went back to finish TTD I was unhappy with its quality. At this point though, Manta has been the most fun simply because styrene is fun to work with (though it burns me everytime), and it makes a perfect looking coaster. Like I said before, the innacuracies of this coaster aren't going to come from the building technique, but from the supplies. The supplies I bought were for Riddler, which is obviously not Manta. Either way, I am using part 199 for the spine, it is the largest solid piece they have. I thought about going with the tube style so it could be bigger, but the problem comes that when you bend it, you are stretching one side and stuffing another, and you would ultimately wreck the square. The biggest supports are 232, and the majority are 228. I am looking in to getting some that are in the middle of those though. The rails are 214, and the ties are cut from 1mm thick sheets of white. If you have any more specific questions, shoot me a PM, I will go more in depth.

Random story of the day: I buzzed my head for the first time in a decade. I went from having 6+ inch long hard, to a number 4 in a months time.

One more final! Then break. Look for an update soon, assuming you guys are ready for first drop action. No one had the xmas tree needed for the topping off.

Well, I want with what was advised to me in using styrene, and well, Evergreen Scale Models was the company I went with. The other company offered to me, on page 2 I think, was incredibly rude and frankly doesn't deserve my or your business. [/rant]

To connect the spine to the the rails by little strips I cut out of sheets. The sheets are just standard white sheets on their website. Then I use styrene glue, same stuff that you would use for a model car, to put everything together.

Any idea what coaster you are going to build?

Plastruct has a lot of architectural items preformed, which is why I suggested it. Evergreen is a great company too.

The glue I've used for years is Ambroid Liquid cement. Testor's and Plastruct have a version too, but I have found Ambroid's to be the best. Just personal preference.

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly, MERRY CHRISTMAS TPR!!

There is in fact an update, I just don't want to post it yet. I have the spine and ties and supports for the entire first drop complete, I just have to melt the rails in to place, and then I will post it. I also just checked johnnyupsidedown and realized I did glue one support backwards, so I ripped it out real quick, and will install in the right way asap (no more than 15 seconds work).

So, look for an update very soon, as I am psyched to share the first actual part of this coaster with everyone. Think of it as my christmas present to tpr.

How is your model coming along? Actually, of all you guys that asked for tips, how are all your models coming along? Im dying to see them.

Again, Merry Christmas!

-Jordan

Well my model is coming along very slowly. I am trying to make sure everything is going to be perfect. Right now I am in the process of drawing blue prints, and buying the materials. It's a lot more work than I thought, but it will be great in the end! I am excited to start posting when I have enough information, and photos to post!

Back on topic... I am super excited for your update!! I can not wait to see how this turns out!

~Matthew

^ What he said. I have my heat gun, craft saw, and glue via Christmas, but I still haven't bought my supplies yet. As for what I'm building, I've decided to build a couple of water slides first, to get used to working with styrene. I'll probably build a speed slide, then 1 or 2 twisty ones, coming from the same tower. I'll start a thread as soon as I actually have something to show you guys .

Congrats to both of you on the continuation of your models. It is cool that I can be an inspiration to others.

MANTA UPDATE!!! Well, the first drop has been completed. Turns out this styrene stuff is a lot harder to work with than it was when you were just turning in one single direction. Either way, I completed the first drop exactly how I wanted, so hopefully you can agree and enjoy.

At this point, you may also notice that there are streaks of silver or whatever on the track. Don't worry, its tape holding a piece in to dry. Also you may notice that the connection of the supports to the track is different than on the real one, and my answer to that is I am sorry. I tried using little pieces of the spine glued on to the actual spine as the connection point, but it just looked sloppy and gross. (This connection point is the same color of the track just fyi). So it is likely I do supports that connect straight to the track as seen in the 3 lower supports in lue of the spine pieces.

Sorry the update is short and sloppy, I leave for Cali in 7 hours and just wanted to get this uploaded before I left.

Jordan!

108_1475.JPG.42303453fef1e1dbb40ec7d8cd6989f1.JPG

108_1473.JPG.09cbcefccd4cd84fc06d493c0d550703.JPG

108_1472.JPG.c142a3e5467c13495b26145c94b9b947.JPG

108_1471.JPG.25c7857ff87448270a0cfcdc0cc6fedc.JPG