TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Custom models of Sheikra, TTD, Insane and now Manta!

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mole- An X-Flight would be quite cool, indeed. I guess we will see once I finish Manta!

Netdvn-That is exactly my plan. I will paint all of the track first and then move on to the supports. I think my solution to the small areas is to get a sponge and cut it into the right size and then dunk it 1/2 cm in paint. That way 5 sides of the brush will have paint and all I will really have to do is push it inbetween each tie.

RD-Track sound be easy to make. The key is to find a solid piece of styrene, that is, not a hollow one. The reason being a hollow spine will "buckle" when you try to twist the spine: one side will stretch and one will compress, which will ruin the shape. It crossed my mind to paint before I bent the spine, but figured the paint would just fracture and spiderweb. With the knowledge of hindsight, I should have painted the spine after bending but before hanging it. You live and you learn.

Awesome-Not trying to sound defensive, but I encourage you to melt the plastic and bend it perfectly...it is not easy. In a perfect world, the train goes on the splashdown, however, given the distance of track to baseboard, it will have to go elsewhere. Thanks for the compliment, though, it is also my favorite model and there is still a lot more to go!

Ntweisen-Truthfully, I used google earth and the ruler tool to get most of the angles, distance, etc. At the time I drew out this model, the coaster was only a couple months old. It would have been nice to have more data.

What does everyone else think?

Hey Dude, good to see you back at it. This has been one of my favorite TPR threads, and this is definitely your best model to date.

Suggestions/Questions:

~Are you planning on adding some of the scenery and painting the board upon completion? Would LOVE to see the track actually scale up the rock after the splash down.

~How many trains are you making? I think it would be awesome (but obviously difficult) to put a few trains out on the course.

Keep up the great work, and I can't wait to see what you have for us next!

This might seem a little bit far fetched, but you could try taping the supports and parts you don't want painted and then using spray paint. Just a suggestion, albeit a bit out in left field.

Looks great! One suggestion on painting, is to paint after shaping, but before installing. Paint the track, do a dry fit, assemble supports, dry fit them althogether, paint supports, glue. Then you'd only have small touch ups where the glue "melts" the styrene.

I love models of all kinds (mostly trains), but I've loved following this thread.

Here's some of my N scale locos:

Edited by mcjaco

I ran HO Trains with my dad growing up. I had a CSX Freight with several coal cars but my faves were the Canadian National Freight engine and the Canadian National Passenger series. Engine, several coach, few sleepers all the way to the end. Good times.

Wish I still had time to do stuff like these models.

Triggernel-Thank you for the kind words! Keep your eyes peeled as the decorating continues. In regards to your questions, I plan on fully decorating the model with all the queue, rocks/ponds, buildings, etc. which I plan on starting once the coaster is painted. I have not considered how many trains I will make or even where I will put them. If I had to guess, I would say potentially two trains at the splashdown (if it fits) and heading into the pretzel. What are your thoughts?

Yamez- Truth to be told, that is how every other model has been painted in the past. I wanted to up my game this model with the hand painting because it yields at better end product. Spray paint always tended to drip a little or be splotchy. Excellent advice though, so thank you!

Mcjaco- With the beauty of hindsight, that is exactly how I would have done the painting. However, I will obviously be doing it in a more time consuming way. I look forward to hearing your feedback with each update, so thank you for your continual reading. Your trains are incredibly accurate and realistic. How long does it take to make one of them and could I interest you in making the trains for this? haha

Real- I imagine train modelling is extremely time consuming. I have to admit, I do not know if I will have the time to make another model following this one. I guess time will tell!

Any other feedback, tpr?

Triggernel-Thank you for the kind words! Keep your eyes peeled as the decorating continues. In regards to your questions, I plan on fully decorating the model with all the queue, rocks/ponds, buildings, etc. which I plan on starting once the coaster is painted. I have not considered how many trains I will make or even where I will put them. If I had to guess, I would say potentially two trains at the splashdown (if it fits) and heading into the pretzel. What are your thoughts?

~Wow! That's gonna be quite the undertaking to do the entire queue. Will that include a miniature Ray tank, too? Really looking forward to seeing the finished product now.

~As far as the train position goes, I agree with the placement near the Pretzel Loop, and if you can't fit the train in the Splashdown, maybe in the aforementioned Wall Climb? That would look really great!

Triggernel- Obviously, I won't make the queue inside the station house because no one will be able to see it. With that said, I will make all of the buildings, bodies of water, etc. Like I said, this model will look as identical with the real one as I can make it. Where is the wall climb? Is that the picture everyone takes immediately following the splashdown where you can get a picture of the train and sign? Thanks for following.

EB-Thanks for reading and following! Hope you're well.

^I'm in between doing it there and the lead up to the pretzel. Lets just stay tuned and figure it out after I finish the decorating because the train will be the last thing I complete.

In other news, I figured out a brilliant way to paint: sponges! I got some cheap foam brushes from the Depot and cut them down to the average size between ties. Then, I dunked the sponge in the paint and applied it to the spine. Piece of cake!! So, the first coat of the paint for the spine is done! Just a little teaser below.

-JD

1836806648_photo(7).jpg.c2b4f62ae3b3df8197c625394f7d39b0.jpg

The coaster looks great especially being built from scratch. What projects do you have planned after this one? I built my first coaster from scratch and it is definately a labor of love. Mine is a simple out and back wooden coaster inspired by the Starliner from Miracle Strip Park in Panama Beach, Florida. I'll take some pics of it and post them soon.

• 3 months later...

The painting is completed! I have spent the last couple of days touching up on the track and supports and now present to you the finished product. Share your thoughts! Sorry the pictures are kind of blurry...will post nice ones real soon!

Next up will be the construction of the buildings followed by the groundwork shortly thereafter.

Enjoy!

2056419196_photo(12).thumb.jpg.56fbfc953c1428765f9eaf95ab357c3d.jpg

General overview

1649866712_photo(13).thumb.jpg.fa4c70a3f9a51699bfe2b65babcac67b.jpg

1595069510_photo(14).thumb.jpg.d733672228af2b16594606a50d17ee14.jpg

330676614_photo(15).thumb.jpg.50598dc240f3bf4cfc69ae4419118402.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...