TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dave's Restaurant & Food Thread

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Bob. Claim Jumper's food is good, their portion sizes are large and they are a bit overpriced as well. My wife and I used to go to lunch there all of the time and would always spend about $40 for lunch for just the two of us.

This may sound really random and boring to most, but would you be able to do one at Sizzler? Because I work at Sizzler over here (in Australia) and I would like to see how different ours are to the ones in America. Thanks!

I´ve been to a "Sizzler" once, and that one time was one time to much!

The one I´ve been in Kissimee was very dirty and the food they served wasn´t even eatable (notice: I´m NOT picky!!!): all dried out, the salads looked like they´ve been at the buffet since days, the soda-fountain was only running with coke, nothing else.....

I don´t know if I made the experience with a very bad "sizzler and how the "Sizzler" in down under are, but I can´t imagine that I´ll ever give them restaurants a second chance.

Somebody has told me that the ones in America are more down market than the ones here. We may have a few bad stores, but at worst you may just find a rude waiter or a badly cooked steak. I know all the salads in all Australian stores are made fresh daily. Also the whole store and staff are tested by mystery shoppers at least once a month. With each store competing with each other.

The restaurants are mostly kept quite clean (again, some stores in daggy areas don't always look the best) and staff are normally pretty friendly.

Looking at the prices online, it also seems that our prices aren't as cheap as their American counterparts.

^^Having been to Sizzler once in Australia I agree with you. The Sizzlers in Australia are clean and much nicer than the Sizzlers here in America. If I remember right, Sizzler was the only place we found with a decent salad bar in Australia. (Your salad dressing over there leaves a lot to be desired!)

Sizzlers in America are like one step above a bus station cafeteria.

I don't think Dave, or anyone smart will be stepping into one anytime soon.

Yeah, this is the truth. I hate these kinds of places, so I won't be eating at one. I might check out an Australian one whenever I make it over there, since it sounds like they're a higher quality place. But in general, I don't like most chain restaurants, so you'll rarely see any here.

Right now, I'm in Las Vegas, and have been eating at all sorts of interesting places. So look for lots of updates next week!

dt

OK, time for another update. And today's update is...SIDE STREET CAFE IN COCKEYSVILLE, MD!

This is one of those places that most local people probably have never seen. It is indeed on a side street, hidden behind a U-Haul rental place and other random businesses. It looks like an old house inside, and the dining area is divided into different rooms (likely because the owners never bothered to knock down any walls or anything). Despite the odd location, this place kicks ass, with totally fresh and amazing food. It's only open at lunch time, and is the perfect place to get lunch, and I highly recommend this place if you're in the area.

Anyway, enough of my yammering, let's go to the visuals!

dt

1726816327_DSCN3528640x480.JPG.471b0d84122369701425be1efe0fd38b.JPG

And this is why I come here: the best chicken salad sandwich I have ever had. Seriously amazing. All the food here is very good. Thus concludes another update! Another local place tomorrow!

1457095352_DSCN3527640x480.JPG.aa30d21c5e65750cd8fcdce5744f7f9f.JPG

First up, some Maryland Crab Soup! They make about six different types of soup here every day, and they're all tasty.

Dave, what's the side dish in the small container?

It looks like a mixed salad of some kind. Maybe not.

Sandwich looks great, all nice and toasted there. Mmmmm.

^That is the truth. Especially when it comes to chinese food or pizza.

Anyway, Falafel reminds me that it's time for another update. Today's restaurant is AN POITIN STIL IN TIMONIUM, MD!

This is our local Irish Pub place, and the food here is really, really good. They have all sorts of the sort of stuff you'd expect here, but the thing I order 99% of the time is the godly Shepard's Pie, which is huge and tasty. It is pictured below. Enjoy!

dt

1781746722_DSCN3529640x480.JPG.bd44795b93967056e633d56385b3b5a6.JPG

Shepard's Pie. So tasty...

Update time!

Today we take a look at a somewhere I had never been before, OCEANAIRE SEAFOOD IN FELLS POINT!

This is another place that made the top ten in the recent "Best Restaurants" list in Baltimore magazine. Known for it's super fresh seafood, this place also features portions much larger than usual at most seafood places. The fish is excellent, some of the best I've had in the area, and this is a place I'll be visiting again.

Anyway, enough of my yammering, let's go to the visuals!

dt

1715968392_DSCN3536640x480.JPG.154246e480b409487cd2fe9e6353873a.JPG

And for dessert, how about some fresh chocolate chip cookies? They were fresh from the oven, and were probably the best chocolate chip cookies I've ever had. I only ate one, saving the others for later meals. Thus concludes today's update! Stay tuned for the next one, which will feature one of Robb's favorite local places!

2111050197_DSCN3535640x480.JPG.1afc3b893d8851dfb0a03c326971f9b1.JPG

And how about a giant slab of seared rare tuna? This might be the best tuna I've ever had at any restaurant. They are not kidding here about their extra-fresh fish. The quality of the food is stunning.

723913436_DSCN3534640x480.JPG.5d90ef0a9c7a79dabccc77b6b7f78c08.JPG

Crab dip, a Maryland staple. Extra tasty, but huge, so most of it went home to be re-heated for dinner the next night. And it was still tasty then!

1649054000_DSCN3533640x480.JPG.4e96c6497aac14d78a53471b98e21f1d.JPG

Let's start with some raw fish. I can't remember what the fish was, but it was something from Australia. Raw fish rules!

1238745778_DSCN3532640x480.JPG.5f969eaad034698081fd9f5e6b5c13b0.JPG

Any place that puts a can of Old Bay right on the table is going to be extra awesome!

215640280_DSCN3530640x480.JPG.2c1c2301f55fcacac3fa1a35ecc32eff.JPG

Restaurant sign!