TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Rock'N'Roller Coaster

^ and ^^

RNRC was custom when it was built, though. That's like saying Six Flags bought Great America a Batman clone. It was the first one. Every design AFTER that was "off-the-shelf". This one wasn't.

I stand corrected. I thought they bought after the first one was built (I cannot for the life of me remember the name, was it a Superman?????).

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

^Superman (now known as Xpress) opened at Walibi World in 2000...a year after Rock N Roller Coaster. http://www.rcdb.com/id769.htm

Disney seems to work with various manufacturers, but at the same time they kind of "plus up" everything to their specifications. IMO its a smart choice. Use a manufacturer that specializes in a particular kind of work, they handle the functional design aspects, obtaining materials, etc and then add your own spin to it.

Remember the lawsuit over Mission: Space a couple years ago? The manufacturer was mad they didn't get enough credit on creation of the experience. Then, of course, the aformentioned argument after the accident on California Screamin' where Intamin said they could no longer say that it was their ride due to the changes Disney made.

I also think its interesting that all of Disney's attractions have similar control panel set-ups regardless of manufacturer. Probably helps with streamlining training and maintenance to some extent.

"I think the answer to the falling out may be in the title of your book (I've bolded the potential problem)." (SirClinksalot)

Believe it or not, it wasn't the flying saucers. If I recall, it had something to do with Disney accusing Arrow of selling rides to other parks that were developed jointly by Arrow and Disney (like Autopia cars or something).

I'll do some more research into this and come back with an answer.

Eric

Disney lists the general manufacturers as "subcontractors" and themselves at the manufacturer. Since Disney is the official manufacturer, the substantial inhouse engineering group can modify and support the ride to their heart's content.

Well how many of disney's rides wern't made in house anyways? The only ones I can think of right now are Mission: Space (made by some centrifuge company), Rock'N'Rollercoaster, California Screamin', Maliboomer, Matterhorn Bobsleds.

Read the post above yours. Disney "sub-contracts" out a lot of the ride systems to outside vendors. Disney will design the ride (to a certain extent) and then hire outside firms (Vekoma, Intamin) who will meet their specifications to build it. Any sort of common ride system (roller coaster, flat type rides such as Dumbo) are from non-Disney manufacturers. On the other end of the spectrum, if a ride system is overly complex (Mission Space, Tower of Terror) they may hire a company that specializes in that type of system to help in the design. I'm betting most of the ride systems in the attractions(again, just the ride systems, not the theming or anything else) are partnerships between Disney and several other companies.