TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Wooden Coasters that Need a Renovation

I haven't yet had the opportunity to actually ride Thunder Road at Carowinds since they've renovated the ride. In fact, they're still performing more work as I write this! I did see a video on You Tube that comparatively looked MUCH smoother than older videos. Here's a list of all the rides GCI has renovated:

Great Coasters' Renovation Work

Dragon Coaster 2009

Boulder Dash 2008

Cheetah 2008

Falken 2008

Sky Princess 2008

Thunder Road 2008

Thundercoaster 2008

Cornball Express 2007

Hoosier Hurricane 2007

Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain 2007

Tsunami 2005

GhostRider 2004

Arkansas Twister 2003

Big Bad John 2002

Magnus Colossus 2002

Stampida 2002

Dania Beach Hurricane 2001

Roller Coaster 1997

My questions are, has anyone ridden these coasters since they've been renovated, and what coasters do you wish that GCI would work on?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GCI also retracked Boss and Screamin Eagle at SFSTL. Boss ran a little better, and Screamin Eagle ran about the same. Boss could be a great coaster, but the g-trains ruin it.

Even though it has received a lot of work over the years, American Eagle could use some work from GCI. It is rough, not in a painful way though, and the whole structure seems like it will fall apart. Of course, if American Eagle ever received major structural work, I would love to see it receive some new trains.

Boss could be a great coaster, but the g-trains ruin it.

Why is it that the Gerstlauer trains only seem to have negative effects on rides in the USA?

Both Falken and Mammut have Gerstlauer trains and I gotta say they both ran VERY smooth. And am I the only one that thought Son of Beast actually rode slightly BETTER with the Gerstlauer trians?

Are we *sure* it's the trains?

--Robb

Yeah Mean Streak needs a complete overhaul.

Another woodie in need of work is Georgia Cyclone. All of the track just needs to be smoothed out.

^I was gonna say. Son of Beast has G-trains and it gives a pretty smooth ride (well, WAY smoother than it used to be with Premier trains. *shutters* Those things gave the worst ride ever).

Wasn't GCI doing some work on Mean Streak this off-season?

Boulder Dash was excellent last year, thanks to GCI's renovation rescue.

Ghostrider really has gone to hell in the last few years, they either need to bring in GCI or a demolition crew.

And am I the only one that thought Son of Beast actually rode slightly BETTER with the Gerstlauer trians?

Are we *sure* it's the trains?

--Robb

Hell no! Slightly better? I'd say much better...but it really is a hit or miss sometimes. It can be smooth in the front....and then it can be horrible. Same with the back seat. Usually the front seat is a safe spot.

Though I think it's safe to say anything would be an improvement from those old Premier trains, the G-Trains are on the wrong rides in America. Falken is only 65ft tall, and Mammut is only 30 ft taller; not very stong g-forces. But rides like Son of Beast, Hellcat, really push the limits of a wooden coaster.

I think anything built by Dinn could probably use a complete overhaul.

Any coaster built by Dinn with the exception of Thunder Run should be burned down.

Zeus at Mt. Olympus and Twister II at Elitch Gardens were both pretty bad the last time I rode them. Zeus has some potential, but it just doesn't give the ride that it is capable of.

Thunder Run at SFKK!

This coaster has so much potential...it was one of my favorites just a few years ago, but now it is painfully rough. The train shuffles side to side on the chain lift!

Both Falken and Mammut have Gerstlauer trains and I gotta say they both ran VERY smooth. And am I the only one that thought Son of Beast actually rode slightly BETTER with the Gerstlauer trians?

One key difference though: The Der Mammut trains had nice soft padding, as opposed to the rocks they normally use for seat backs.