TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Looking for double ferris wheel in California (Bay Area)

I used to love the "Sky Wheel" / double ferris wheel as a kid, and I haven't seen one in years.

Has anyone seen one operating in the San Francisco bay area (or anywhere in California) in recent years?

Thanks!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I honestly haven't been to the Alameda County Fair in ages, but all the times I have been there as a kid, they always had a skywheel. I loved riding that thing too. From what I remember, the ACF usually had a good collection of rides the times I had gone. Have you been there recently?

I've been to Alameda County Fair a few years recently... I'd guess 2001, 2002, 2006... and no Skywheel

The Skywheel creates a wild array of forces that is unlike anything else I've ridden... it's sort of like a vertical Scrambler.

I wonder what it would be like if there was a sort of triple-wheel. Not like the Intamin thing... that would be just about the same as the double-wheel. But, like an insane super-structure that holds two double-wheels...

crappy photoshop coming up....

skywheel2.jpg.4788e621c8ff05eb9021be225bc30017.jpg

Last time I saw one was at the Minnesota State Fair in about 2005. I was working for the newspaper at the time and I made sure to write a little blurb about how cool and rare the Herschell double ferris wheel is.

I won't ride one, but I LOVE to look at them! In my hometown, they used to set it up so close to the Zipper that you could spot your friend on the Sky Wheel while you whizzed past in your Zipper cage.

Sorry I don't have any info on where these things tour.

I checked up on RidesDB and it came up with six companies that own or have owned Sky Wheels in the US; they are:

Do own:

-McDonagh's Amusements (Michagan)

-Belle City Amusements (Florida)

-Midway of Fun (California)

-Mighty Bluegrass Shows (Florida)

The following two were also listed, but I'm not sure if they still have them operating (or even have them anymore!):

-Amusements of America

-Shamrock Shows

So if you're looking for a Sky Wheel, your best bet would be to attend a carnival that one of the four companies in bold are working.

I hope that sort of helps with something!

That's perfect! Thanks! I didn't realize there was a DB that tracked carnival rides.

Their (Midway of Fun) site has it in the ride list stll, and their zip code seems within driving range... hopefully they can complete the trifecta by answering my email

update: doh! they sold the Sky Wheel last week. TO...... ?

Yeah, that's totally what I'm looking for... to ride, of course.

Look at the way the seats are mounted... the center of gravity was pretty wild, and there were some wicked sensations... your wheel would be headed down, and your seat headed upward within the wheel, and then as soon as your wheel swung around and headed back up, your seat would begin to head downward within your wheel. All of those direction changes caused the seats to rock back and forth... so cool...

Well you know the Americana Skywheel is operating at Midway of Fun.

Skywheel with racked in double trailers to set up about 6 and half hour with six men and 4 and half hour to tear down with six men.

The Skywheel come to Solano County Fair in Vallejo CA close to SFDK, Contra Costa County Fair in Antioch, CA, Sacramento County Fair in Sacramento CA, Stanislaus County Fair in Turlock CA, Yolo County Fair in Woodland CA and San Mateo County Fair in San Mateo, CA.

Here you go for skywheel picture @ midway of fun. They are open at the fair and carnival but skywheel set-up too slowly.

skywheel.thumb.jpg.a0661b852be5b6b43f553fc66f79bdf8.jpg

Skywheel

• 7 years later...

^ You know, now that you've drug up the topic I'm so curious about these rides. I remember seeing one at a local fair when I was a kid, but never had the chance to ride it... Now I'm dying to ride one!!

^ You know, now that you've drug up the topic I'm so curious about these rides. I remember seeing one at a local fair when I was a kid, but never had the chance to ride it... Now I'm dying to ride one!!

I rode a double wheel with a friend at the Stanislaus County Fair in Turlock, California, during my high-school days. It scared the crap out of both of us.

Edited by cfc

There are two of these on the Carnival circuit in Florida. One by Belle City Amusments and the other with Wade shows.

The one at Lake Winnie growing up was my jam, so it's awesome to have access to one again around february/march when the fairs roll in.

There are two of these on the Carnival circuit in Florida. One by Belle City Amusments and the other with Wade shows.

Thanks, that's some good info!

A bit more searching did confirm that Belle Citydoes have an operating Sky Wheel but Wade Shows did not show one under their list of rides. I also found Big Rock Amusements has one.

Unfortunately for me, there don't seem to be any of these out west. I'd appreciate some pics and a ride report if anyone gets a chance to get on one this summer. Thanks.