TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What did Coasters feel like before you become obsessed?

Wow- that's funny this topic popped up as my Partner and I were talking about this last night!

I can tell you to the day, hour minute and second when it changed for me. I'd ridden a few coasters prior to the 'revelation' of coasters to me. The Scooby Doo at KD and BBW at BGW were my first 'two' coasters- as I'd never had the inkling to ride much; I suffered mightily from motion sickness growing up- which kinda prevented me from riding. Thus, for me, I was rather shy of riding for any reason.

Well, in early January 1988, my Family found out that we were headed to WDW for a week in March, courtesy the Company Mom worked for at the time. I was -estatic- despite my hesitiation of coasters to experience Disney. So, on March 8, 1988, at 9:16AM, Space Mountain, Right Side. (As you 'enter' the platform) I took my first ride....

As most (if not all) of us know, SM shoots 'through' the lift hill about 2/3rds the way through the voyage through space, then turns LEFT 90 degrees or so and enters a brief straight track. It was THERE that it hit me. I REALLY REALLY LIKE this. One of those single 'clarity' moments in one's life; very similar to finding true love or discovering something with a passion. In one minute it hit me light lightning- and I've never been the same since.

(Which might explain why I'm warped today!)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was obsessed from almost the first few times I rode them as a little kid, so for me, there really isn't a 'before I was obsessed'. But, back then, finding photos, writing or videos about coasters was quite difficult.

I can tell you what I used to do before sites like TPR came around... I would come home from school and watch all the cheesy afternoon comedies, hoping to catch a Cedar Point commercial! Also, I'd often check the travel section of the newspaper for articles on coasters.

It was sort of a gradual process for me. I was always interested in coasters but when we'd go to KW I'd just sit at the Potato Patch and watch Thunderbolt zoom by over and over, or hang out near the picnic groves at the rear of Jack Rabbit and watch it go for hours and hours. Over the course of 2 or 3 summers I went from riding no coasters to Jack Rabbit/ Racer then eventually all of KW's coasters at the time (1986 JR/Racer/TB/LL). I was still kind of scared of bigger rides though...

What really took all the fear away was Magnum XL 200 during it's first year ('89). I never was so scared on a ride, and I haven't been as scared since.

I was petrified of all moving rides when I was younger (even Horizons scared me at one point). Slowly, I pushed myself to ride new rides, getting a better feel for the thrill. My first real coaster was Thunder Mountain, followed by Space Mountain. After I grew comfortable with those Disney coasters, my brother felt I was ready for Kraken, forcing me to ride. Much to my surprise I loved it, and that event stemmed my passion for theme parks, coasters and the industry itself.

I look back on the whole story and realize that without my brother, I wouldn't be preparing to study in the field of Hospitality Management for theme park management.

Always had an interest in them, along with the weather and baseball. I liked to talk about them and knew alot about them, but I never would ride big rides since I was afraid of them. This website when I found it in 2001 helped keep my interest and I felt like it was something I should keep my eyes on and POOF! The forums came around, and well here I am now!

I rode Millennium Force when I was 13 and never looked back, and I became the coaster loving person I am now. I think I had to wait about an hour for it, but I never looked back and I'm glad I did. I love roller coasters, and baseball alot more now!

I was scared of Ghoster Coaster at CW, left the line on Dragon Fire (CW), pouted like a lil' girl when my sister dragged me on Viper at Darien Lake, and squeezed my eyes tight shut on the Cedar Creek Mine Ride and Gemini.

That's what got me hooked...

I have liked roller coasters since any time I can remember. When I was little (after the really kiddie coasters), I remember really wanting to ride the "big roller coasters" all-by-myself. The park I remember most as a child was Canobie Lake park in NH. I loved the Corkscrew and remember how excited I was to ride it alone for the first time. For a short period of time when I was little (and skinny), I did get nervous riding some wooden coasters (yankee cannonball, coney island cyclone, etc), afraid of flying out of the train. Once I got a little bigger though, it was no longer a concern.

I really didn't become an "enthusiast" until after my first trip to CP in 2000. I had gone to many parks before that (my favorite being Busch Gardens Williamsburg), but it was finally getting to the "roller coaster capitol of the world" and riding the "tallest roller coaster in the world (Millie)" that turned me into the "geek" I am now.

I remember my days as a member of the GP, I mean ever since I got RCT1 back in the day I've loved them, but I really didnt know much about them until I did a year long report about them. I remember going to sfmm for my first time in the summer of 07 and noticing how Revolution ripped off California Screamin because it had the same track style, and how Six Flags needed to learn how to build brakes because rides like Ninja and Revolution make that weird dog whimpering noise when they brake. Now I can laugh at my GP friends and easily out nerd them!

My first BIG amusement park trip was to King's Island in '78. I rode Screamin' Demon because I didn't know better- but it scared me enough that I couldn't ride "The Racer" at that time.

During the next couple of years, I kept seeing reports on "The Beast" being built and opened and after "Real People" (an old old NBC show) had one of their correspondants ride it ( I 'think' it was Byron Allen), I truly became "obsessed" in that I had to not only go back to KI and re-ride Demon and get on Racer, but that I absolutely "HAD" to ride Beast, because it looked so mysterious.

My name is James and I've been a CoasterHolic since 1980.

I have always been afraid of heights and still am to this day (although I'm alot better). Riding coasters actually helped me "put the fear aside" knowing I'm not going anywhere (as in not falling out). I used to watch rollercoaster shows on discovery channel all the time because I was too chicken to get onto big ones. Since my cousins took me on Behemoth last August, I guess that was the beginning of my obsession. Then I started researching rollercoasters on the internet and from library books. Well I was diagnosed with ASD and ADD at a young age so the "obsessive behavior" is not surprizing. I have a tendency to get obsessed with everything I get into it seems like.

~ Jess "Obsessed, but not posessed" Chan

^^ 'Real People' - Wow...talk about a blast from the past! Remember Sarah Purcell and Fred Willard???

How about 'That's Incredible' with Fran Tarkenton, John Davidson and Cathy Lee Crosby?

Ooops...off topic. I mean - hoorrah for being obsessed with coasters! Woo-Hoo!