TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Will there ever be an official "Meet Up" thread?

Crazy4Coasters!

I have searched the forum for this topic and I saw at least one person try to do this topic before. Their mistake was placing the "official" stamp to it and Robb put a quick end to that. So I was wondering if they're any plans to make a "Sticky" thread in the future for meet ups between TPR members?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always hoped there'd be a meet-up calendar. A place where members could post when they would be going to a park. Other could reply to that and meet-up.

Or a forum section to organize 'unofficial' meetups.

Who knows, in the future...

Yea I can imagine how tricky it would be to actually have a thread in order with that topic. But I think having at least a "sticky meet up" thread can at least stop the countless new topics posted up all over TPR's forums that ask if people would like to meet up. At least all the mess would be concentrated in one thread only, almost like the "super rumor" thread.

^It has been discussed by Robb even to the point of thinking of including it in the next upgrade of the Park Index. i.e.: click on a park and see who is planning to be there and when. This is not happening, just something that was brought up at one time.

Robb has a ton of things on his plate with the design of the site and we just have to handle one thing at a time (like Coaster Tube) and make sure already is done right.

With Meet-Up threads, right now the choice is to have dozens of various "Meet-Up" threads one at a time or creating a SuperThread. The problem with a SuperThread is requests to meet-up would get lost in the sheer volume.

Another idea is possibly a Sticky like the "Favorite" Sticky thread with a different link for each park. However, even that is a daunting undertaking to upkeep and the more sticky threads we add, the longer it takes to scroll to active topics.

Yeah that would be a great idea. Maybe have a thread for specific parks, and or States, and have a member post the day and time. If anyones intrested they can Pm, call, text, what ever!

Specific parks or states is unworkable. The number of threads created is far to many. The logistics would be a nightmare.

One of the problems I see with a single thread is the number of pointless posts occurring. Some one would post that they are going to CP and then there would be a deluge of posts by people saying they can't make it. It would quickly get buried. Just look at the threads where the TPR trips or meets are announced and you'll see what I mean.

In the end, I'm not sure there is a good solution

Has this ever been tried before?

I think if people post that they are going to a park, and put a time limit down on it...say they can only post within 48 hours of going to a park. And give everyone a format that they have to follow. Like, When, Name of Park, Time, etc. I think that would be a great thing.

I'm one of those people that go to parks by myself (sad, isn't it) so I would like to be able to catch up with some like minded coaster geeks so I'm not so pathetic standing online trying to make friends.

One of the projects further down the road for TPR (in the coming months) will include a re-vamp of the member profile page and that will include the ability to have photo galleries, post comments to friends, and a social calendar. Much like a "MySpace Lite" kind of thing.

But we need to get CoasterTube and a new version of the park index done first! Not to mention the 2009 trips, Roller Coasters in the Raw 3 and Coaster Expedition Volumes 12 & 13!

That's a lot to do right now!

--Robb

^^^Man this is quite a conundrum for such a simple topic. Maybe is there was a way each member could view side note next to their avatar when someone were to head to a park at a certain day. Of course the person would update their park visit days manually through the profile page.

Or

Maybe if their was a forum made for unofficial meet ups but only initial post would be allowed and anyone able to join the other party can only PM (private message) them. No replies would be allowed keeping the thread pretty clean and would stop the pointless "wished I could go but I can't" post.

^ That's great to hear, I'm looking forward to the updated profile and features that are coming to TPR. Thanks for the open ears on the topic guys.

^ I had the same idea before I posted but the point is to make everyone who visits TPR know when you're headed to a park. If you have it on your signature not everyone will visit your profile or a post you made and therefore you would not have many responses to your meet up request. I think we should now just wait for the update on the profile Robb was talking about and see if that solves this issue.

What if the front page of the topic was updated every day, and you'd see someone going to this park and when. Then you'd reply to the person in the topic (but be specific about who you're responding to) saying if you can go.

For example:

CreditCrazy @ Knott's Berry Farm 1/1/100000000.

"Hey CreditCrazy I think I can make it!"

"Uh, okay...(I don't really like you) but...sure..."

" "

" "

I also like the avatar idea, or to make it even more noticable, it could be on your sig.

I think we should now just wait for the update on the profile Robb was talking about and see if that solves this issue.

This is very wise.

With the addition of Big Mike Banners and the CoasterFantatic Credit Counter, posters are already at their max size for a signture per the TPR Terms of Service and Posting Rules.

(Hint, hint. )

• 1 month later...

Im going to be traveling a bit this Summer and Id love to meet up with TPR members in Parks while im there. Likewise, Id be happy to meet up with/host other TPR members who are visting a park/parks while im at home. Is there any calendar/ good way of arranging some meetups?