TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Conneaut Lake Park (CLP) Discussion Thread

^ Good to hear that the ride sounds like it's running about the last time I was there. Sad to hear that they can't even fill the trains. I mean, Friday night and Saturday night are going to be the peak of their business this weekend, and if they can't get the trains filled I really worry that this ride doesn't have the local support or the enthusiast support many people were thinking it would.

--Robb

I mean, Friday night and Saturday night are going to be the peak of their business this weekend, and if they can't get the trains filled I really worry that this ride doesn't have the local support or the enthusiast support many people were thinking it would.

Agreed.

I mean, surely non-local coaster enthusiasts aren't the only people who care about this project.

Maybe the Blue Streak opening this weekend was a spare-of-the-moment thing, and locals haven't caught on that it's open yet?

The weather really hurt the crowds yesterday, The midway was pretty busy until the rain came around 6-7pm from what I saw. Some people stuck it out though and for most of the night I never saw the blue streak train less than half full. Several times I had to wait for the next train, around 8pm or so the line was typically down the ramp.

Blue Streak was running ok, ran pretty fast with a full train after the rain too. The track bed definitely needs to wear in from all those years of neglect. I'm hoping some of the pepsi money will get the vettle train back into use as well as it tracks soooo much better than the NAD.

Conneaut has always been trying to keep its nose above water but it refuses to die. With the Lisko's dumping money into the place we should see some definite improvements over the years to come.

Also according to the ride op Blue Streak will be running during pumpkin fest and ghost lake. I plan on stopping there on the way to PPP.

Also according to the ride op Blue Streak will be running during pumpkin fest and ghost lake. I plan on stopping there on the way to PPP.

That's actually good to hear. Some of my friends and relatives wanted to ride, but couldn't this weekend because they are out of town. I will definitely be making a return trip!

Blue Streak was fantastic! 4 rides Friday night and 30 on Saturday. Got MUCH faster on Saturday, just as I remember it from years ago. They've done a great job, it really is not rough in comparison to most Cedar Fair wooden coasters and totally rideable in all but one seat (last seat in the first car.) Train was not full all of the time, however the crowd was fairly decent all day. ACE Western PA had ERT Saturday night, and the train was full for that entire time! Wooo Blue Streak !!!!

I don't post here a lot, but wanted to give a quick report from today at Conneaut.

Drove up today, got there around 2:00 (I live less than an hour from there)

Had to wait in line for almost 1/2 hour just to buy tickets for the Blue Streak, and about 45 minutes in line to ride! Been going to the park for 30 years, and today was the busiest I have seen it in probably 10 years, other than special events day, like the Pumpkin Fest.

The coaster was running great. As has been said, the first three hills are amazing as usual, and the turn around and return trip was better than it has been in many years. Had more speed on the return than there has been many, many years, so there was some air time over the little hills, which there hasn't been in a long time. It also seemed like the trim break before the turn around is gone!

They had the 4 car NAD train running with one lap bar not working, so it could handle 22 riders per trip.

Sorry if this is short and doesn't make a lot of sense, but I am tired, and heading for bed.

I'm off from work next Saturday (sept. 11) and was considering going to take a long drive over to Conneaut and Kennywood. But i can't tell from the website if the park is even open. Was this weekend the end of the season? The website just talks about hours during "the season" but never really says when the season begins or ends. The title posting about the coaster being open Sept 2-6, doesn't make it sound like it is either. But I just wanted to check before driving over there just to find everything closed.

I'm off from work next Saturday (sept. 11) and was considering going to take a long drive over to Conneaut and Kennywood. But i can't tell from the website if the park is even open. Was this weekend the end of the season? The website just talks about hours during "the season" but never really says when the season begins or ends. The title posting about the coaster being open Sept 2-6, doesn't make it sound like it is either. But I just wanted to check before driving over there just to find everything closed.

From their site:

Saturday, September 11

Ride area closed

When Saturday, Sep 11, 2010

Description All rides are closed for the weekend.

I'm not sure about Oktoberfest, but from what I have heard the park and Blue Streak will be open for most (if not all) of the "Ghost Lake" event.

Well, the planets aligned and I was able to visit the park yesterday to check out the Blue Streak. The park was PACKED. Maybe because it was Labor Day Sunday, but the Blue Streak was undoubtedly the main reason for the crowds.

The line to the ticket booth was almost a half hour wait. It probably would have been shorter if people could understand how the Blue Streak had a different set of tickets. Even when there were signs all over the window telling people that regular tickets were NOT accepted on the coaster, people kept getting frustrated at having to buy different tickets. I got three Blue Streak tickets and a wristband for the regular rides...and immediately met up with a friend of mine to get in line for the coaster.

The line was almost a half hour wait...the kind of line you WANT to see for the sake of CLP. The line overflowed from its space, but the crew moved very quickly. Once the train came up to the loading point, it was a very brief time before dispatch, not Phoenix quick but still pretty fast. The interiors of the train are a little worn, but are still in decent shape...the front seat of the last car had no lapbar and was kept empty. The car bodies, however, look spectacular. The metal, on first glance, is in better condition than the Century Flyers on Kennywood's Thunderbolt.

I got to ride the Blue Streak twice. Overall, it's a pretty fun ride (I had never been on it before). It is kind of rough, which varies depending on where you sit, but rides surprisingly well for having sat since 2006. The roughest parts were at the bottoms of the first two drops, but other than that, it was in pretty good shape. The retracked section, while the smoothest part of the ride by far, has a bit of a rattle to it, but it's not rough by any means. The tunnel obviously needs work as there are sections of the roof missing in many places, and about halfway through, the train feels like it won't make it to the lift. My first ride was in the center of the front car. The ride felt slightly smoother here, and there was nice floater on the hills in the first half. My second ride was in the very last seat...what a ride! Here the first half of the ride was so rough that it was almost painful, but the train pretty much YANKS you down the hills. The first two drops redefined ejector airtime...if I hadn't held on it felt like it WOULD have been thrown out of the train! It was THE strongest airtime I've ever experienced (I do have a relatively low track record, but including the Phoenix, the Jack Rabbit, etc. that should be saying something), and the third hill's airtime was also pretty strong. I normally have my hands up on coasters, but held on for this one even after the first hills, just so I didn't get as beat up. The second half was more bearable.

All in all, it's still a great ride that can only get better as work continues on the ride, and I'm happy Conneaut beat the odds and managed to get the ride up and running again.

Edited by Myself

^ Thanks, Larry - I also pulled this up from the CLP website:

Oktoberfest

Polka Music and Dancing

Bavarian, Polish, and Slovene

Oldies, Country, Marching bands, microbreweries, ethnic food

$7 per person at the gate to enter the park grounds; includes all rides except the Blue Streak ($3 per person, per ride fee)

Saturday, car cruise, featuring Dorals

Sunday, cycle day, featuring Teez

WOO-HOO! Now I know where I will be going for my b-day weekend! Knowing I can't go to the real Oktoberfest with TPR, this may be the next best thing. Think they'll have Paulaner on draft?

I'll make sure I get lot's of pics and do a TR!

PS - I see they are doing Ghost Lake again this year starting on September 24th till Halloween, but the site does not mention if the Blue Streak will be open. The year I went, the rides weren't open yet so not sure if they will have the rides closed and have haunts in the Devil's Den or Dodge Em's?

I may have to go back for it on October 16th or 17th to find out...that is also when they are having a Thunderstruck AC/DC tribute band!