TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Conneaut Lake Park (CLP) Discussion Thread

While it looks as though they didn't get many people there for the first run, they did generate some media coverage:

CBS 3

Meadville Tribune

And a biggie--with circulation over 200,000-- The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Usually for events like this, the public and the media have a lot more lead time...so the fact that they got what they did is still impressive. Maybe this exposure will help draw in some more people for the weekend!

I'm extremely excited to see The Blue Streak win the Pepsi Project and that it's back up and running. I've never been out there to ride it, but I'm definitely passionate about preserving our oldest roller coasters, if only for the sake of having that piece of nostalgia to look back upon. I don't see it as being any different than our grandparents, or us for that matter, hanging onto childhood relics and little bits of our past to preserve memories of the "good old days".

Damn... if it were earlier in the day, I'd head out! It's about an 8 hour drive from Chicago (I stop alot), so it's too late now. I like doing spontaneous things. I've wanted to ride this ride forever... literally since the mid-80's. Had the chance in 2006 just missed by a day after it was hit by lightning.

Can't wait to ride it!

I really don't understand why it is so important to people all across the country for the park to stay open. It's small, kinda scummy, in the middle of nowhere (Waldameer is only, what, 45-60mins away if you're so worried about the locals not having a park), and the coaster isn't very good. How many times has the park needed to get money to reopen? How many lenders are still owed money by the park?

Market economics has spoken: the park should have died long ago. The refresh project is just the latest to succumb to CLP.. but, it's Pepsi, so them losing money is ok by me

I hate to say it (well actually I don't hate it considering I am going to say it) but I have to agree. Seriously. Let the place die a death with some dignity. It clearly isn't going to thrive this time around, just like it hasn't for many years. It is really a failing effort, a waste of time, and people could really be spending their time a little better by supporting a cause that is more worth it. (I realize this is a theme park site that I am frequenting)

^ How would closing after having a owner be convicted of tax evasion, having multiple fires, and multiple break-ins be "dying with dignity?" I'd say that's the complete opposite if anything, which is why the park deserves another chance to gain some of it's dignity back.

Anyway, I'll be leaving in a few minutes. I'll be sure to post my thoughts later tonight when I get back.

taking into consideration what looks like to have been a handheld video camera, looks to me to be of acceptable roughness given it's age, the return looked smooth, I'm guessing when they hit the bottom of the 1 and 2 drops the force putting the shooter back in the seat made it seem worse than it is. Would love to get up there next season.

I just got back. Sorry, no pictures, I don't own a camera and my phone had only one bar of battery left that I had to save for the drive home. Anyway, here are my thoughts...

I'd like to start with saying that there are NO SEAT BELTS, ONLY buzz-bars! That definitely heightens the experience.

This coaster is running like a champ! It was really fun, with some surprising airtime at the top of the hills. I'd suggest sitting towards the back, that area gives the best rides. The front is a bit rough, but nothing you wouldn't expect out of a coaster built in 1938 with trains that haven't been used in 7 years.

I got 3 total rides, one in the front seat of the last car, and two in the last seat of the front car. Like I said, the back is definitely where it's at. Much smoother than I anticipated, some MAJOR air cresting the first drop, and nice air on every hill. The front was fun, but at the bottom of the hills you had to brace yourself a bit.

Regarding some questions about the video and just questions in general. Maybe it's because the train is starting to break-in a bit more, but it didn't seem slow at all while going over the hills. The new track during the turnaround is slightly smoother, but the whole track in general, for the most part, is still fairly smooth, at least a LOT smoother than I had expected. Like I said already, the bottom of the hills are the roughest parts of this ride. In the back it's not rough at all, but be ready if you sit towards the front.

Riding through the tunnel from the station to the lift was actually REALLY cool. All the holes in the roof reminded me of what this park had been through, and the fact that they overcame all those troubles and got it running again. During that stretch is when it hit home and made me smile knowing I was on a coaster I thought I'd never ride again.

What I assume was the main mechanic was one AWESOME guy! You could tell he had much pride in what he did to help the Blue Streak and get it open again. Even though there was only about 8-12 of us, he literally thanked everyone countless times for their support. Also, for being so supportive, he gave us a FREE RIDE! I actually felt kind of bad, though, because I know how much the park needs the money.

All-in-all, if this is a coaster you have always wanted to ride and never got the chance, I say GET THERE AND DO IT! You never know how much longer you may have, and not to mention it's running very well!

P.S. - Was anyone from TPR there tonight? I sat behind someone with an ACE shirt on, and overhead them say they drove 3 hours.

Edited by FeelTheFORCE

Blue Streak could be my #400. That's dignity right there. I came to the park last year so to see this reopen would be a victory for me.

I want to go there Monday for opening. I'll probably wear a Phillies or El Toro shirt. I didn't know it then but when I went to ride the Williams Grove Cyclone on a Labor Day a couple years it turned out to be the park's last operating day ever. Labor Day is unique to me then. I'm going to try it again.

Even though there was only about 8-12 of us

Wait...please tell me the re-opening of this classic coaster was able to draw more than 8-12 people out on a Friday night to come ride. Was attendance really this light?

Edited by robbalvey

Even though there was only about 8-12 of us

Wait...please tell me the re-opening of this classic coaster was able to draw more than 8-12 people out on a Friday night.

To be fair, it rained and stormed pretty heavily here/there right as the park was scheduled to open. The main mechanic I was talking about above said that because of that, only 8 people showed up for work, and 20-something (24 maybe, I can't remember exactly) rides needed operators. Blue Streak was the only ride running.

Only a mere two hours had passed since I arrived, but as I was leaving there were many more people out and about walking up and down the road outside the park, and in the park area in general. If the weather cooperates, tomorrow and Sunday will most likely be better because more people will be in the area looking for things to do, as opposed to just arriving and getting settled. The entire town of Conneaut, nearby areas such as Pymatuning, Linesville and the Spillway, etc. have always thrived on weekends and holidays, and always seem like ghost towns during the week.

Edited by FeelTheFORCE

So there were only about 8-12 people riding the coaster tonight? You didn't really answer my question.

Yep, maybe a few more (5 or so) for my third ride. When I first pulled up I actually thought the park was closed. There were no cars in the lot and the front gates were closed. Finally after making a couple passes, making myself look like a jacka$$, I asked the security guard and I parked way in the back in what seemed like an employee parking lot, or maintenance lot. Even when I started walking in the park everything was dark, closed, and silent, and I thought I was the only one in the park at that time, until I saw a few people standing around the Blue Streak area up ahead.

^ Wow. See, that just sounds really bizarre to me. I understand that weather wasn't great. But, c'mon, this was supposed to be the rides BIG RE-OPENING WEEKEND! And the first two nights it sounds like no one showed up.

Is it just me or does that sounds a little concerning? Again, I'm hoping the weekend is much better, but it really sounds like so far Blue Streak's grand re-opening has been kind of lackluster and forgotten about.

--Robb "Where was the fanfare? Or even just the fans?" Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

^ While I agree that the coaster deserves a much better reopening it's just bad timing. I doubt they even advertised this other than by word of mouth. It's the end of the season and Blue Streak or not everyone is going into fall mode. I would like to take the drive up to Conneaut and even document it if I can, but I need to work and save money. It would be cool to film it because I have access to HD cameras. I probably wouldn't do an onride with one though.

Robb, don't forget that they even dropped the price to $3 per ride! (it was $5 several years ago)

Again... I don't mind "saving" a successful park. If Knoebels, or Indiana Beach, or even a bigger independent park like Holiday World was going to suddenly close, I say do what you can to save them.. but CONNEAUT LAKE PARK IS DOOMED TO FAIL!!! It has done so OVER AND OVER AGAIN!

(and my "coaster wasn't very good" comment may be subjective, BUT, it doesn't exactly rank high in Mitch's poll, and I meant more or less the ride doesn't strike me one as worthy of garnering national attention in an effort to save it)

Did anyone even know it was going to open?

Apparently on Thursday it was in all the local media (newspapers, network news, etc) and I know that all the enthusiast press and organizations sent out email or posted about it. (It was on our front page.)

I understand that it's the end of the season. I realize that the weather wasn't great. But c'mon, this is the project that was just voted #1 in the Pepsi refresh, the opening announcement was on the CBS news in Pittsburgh the night before as well as two other big newspapers, It's been all over people's Facebook and Twitter...and they didn't even have enough people come out to fill a train?

That's what shocks me. I mean, it's one thing to only have, let's say, 50 or 60 people show up, ok...but not even enough to fill the 16 seats on the train? Two nights in a row? To me...that's shocking.

I would have at least thought there would be more local enthusiasts considering the park is only 2 1/2 hours away from a major market like Pittsburgh turn up to ride this "Classic Woodie" that's been SBNO for nearly half a decade.

I guess we'll see how it goes this weekend.

--Robb "I'm seeing signs of Starliner's re-opening here..." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

^I agree with that. It falls along the lines of it's easier to be a keyboard warrior for the project then actually take the time to care about it in person.

Also, with the Pepsi Refresh, there is no guarantee they get the money. Pepsi has until September 22 to decided if they get the cash. If Pepsi goes with the wording in the proposal, where it seems like the ride will not re-open without the money, there could be issues.

I was at the park today. Pictures and more descriptions tomorrow. But in short, there were a decent amount of people around, but mostly at the "beach club" thing or whatever. There were never more than 10 people or so on a Blue Streak train. I didn't find it really rough. At least not painful rough. The first two hills in the back were crazy with just the buzz bar. But it then fizzled out quickly. Still a neat ride and cool looking park.

-Nick