TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Conneaut Lake Park (CLP) Discussion Thread

Well, we shooting for going to CLP this weekend and still might make a day-trip out of it. Hit Conneaut Cellars for a few bottles maybe check out Cutters if it's still there.

If we get there saturday afternoon, I'll look for ya ken if the L'll dipper is running.

Published May 21, 2007 02:00 pm - Conneaut Lake Park’s future will remain up in the air until at least Tuesday.

Conneaut Lake Park decision postponed

By Jane Smith

CONNEAUT LAKE PARK —

CONNEAUT LAKE PARK — Conneaut Lake Park’s future will remain up in the air until at least Tuesday.

Officials had called a late-morning press conference for today to discuss what will be the next step if $100,000 the 115-year-old amusement park expects to receive doesn’t materialize. The money would allow the park to launch a limited opening, such as Hotel Conneaut, the Beach Club, Dreamland Ballroom and other attractions.

However, the announcement was postponed after park officials received a last-minute phone call from a local business person apparently offering financial assistance. After waiting two and one-half hours for a follow-up confirmation call, officials agreed to delay any announcement until 11 a.m.

and the hits just keep on coming....

Sorry for the double post:

this sucks!

Published May 22, 2007 11:29 am -

CONNEAUT LAKE PARK CLOSED

Conneaut Lake Park will be closed, effective immediately.

The announcement, certain to come as bad news to many local observers, was made this morning following a meeting at the park office. Although an anonymous donor had indicated interest in supporting the park on Monday, the support was to be a loan, not a donation, park officials later learned. However, previous decisions had been made to not accept any more start-up loans for the 115-year-old amusement park.

Leroy Stearns, court-appointed custodian, said he will seek a petition to have the custodian removed from directing any further park operations.

Although previously there were plans for a farewell concert this weekend, that has been canceled, as has the DoWopp Weekend that had been scheduled to start Friday.

All employees have been laid off, park officials said.

Money from a recent token drive will be used to pay bills instead of as start-up funds for the 2007 season.

^ That sucks. I was hoping to shoot over to CLP this summer (it's only 10 minutes away from my camp) to get one last ride on Blue Streak, good thing I already have the credit. I wonder what will happen to Blue Streak? Hopefully it won't be demolished, I hope it will find a new home somewhere that won't close for a long time.

This is a truly sad announcement. Remember that the park was closed in 1995 and reopened. This isn't necessarily the death nail but it's not good at all and at best will be a huge setback for the future of the park if there is one. Strangely I felt better about the park future last fall than the previous fall.

I simply can't understand why they couldn't sell the land to pay off the outstanding debt and give the park money to open up this year. I also cannot understand why they couldn't get more of an offer for the prime waterfront land (look at the palaces across the lake). So now they will look to liquidate park assets. Yeah, that's better than finding a way to sell of a little land which would have solved a ton of problems. I swear the local "leaders" are straight out of Mayberry. It didn't help that the park management still couldn't quite get a handle on their accounting either.

This makes me so sad. This park wen't back in my family, it was my grandpa's favorite park. (R.I.P!) I really hope Blue Streak doesn't get demolished, but that thing is so old it might have to, if they move it I'm sure a lot of it will have to be replaced. I will miss this park so much, it was a great place to go on the weekends for me if I wasn't busy....

RIP Conneaut Lake Park

This is horrible news. The park has always looked interesting to me, Blue Streak has always looked amazing, and I was really hoping to get there either this summer or next. Very sad news, and I feel especially sorry to those who had this place as a home park.

Well the only way for the park to be saved is for someone with money to come in and take over. The should of sold it to the guy that is building snow waters when they had the chance.

Leroy is steping down from being the custodin I think he is just made he lost the local election for city council.

And Wanda (alady that has be spreading a bad word about the park) said this is a good thing which I don't agree with..

Eh, It was only a matter of time. While it is sad to see a park go, this is no real loss, and the park didn't seem that great in the first place. Now, before the locals to CLP get upset with me...well I have no reason for them not to be. I know the community wanted to save the park, but a park like CLP can't compete with other historical parks that are just a relatively short distance away.

Eh, It was only a matter of time. While it is sad to see a park go, this is no real loss, and the park didn't seem that great in the first place. Now, before the locals to CLP get upset with me...well I have no reason for them not to be. I know the community wanted to save the park, but a park like CLP can't compete with other historical parks that are just a relatively short distance away.

So you're saying that running for 115 years has little to no significance whatsoever?

What other historical parks are close? Besides Kennywood.

^^It is significant for a park to be open for 115 years, but in an area like where CLP is located, there are better parks in the area. The only thing the park seemed to have was Blue Streak, and sadly, it has a good chance of meeting the wrecking ball now. I'm sure CLP was a great park at one point, but over the last few year, it seems to have gone downhill.

^Just Kennywood is nearby? Sorry, I thought there were some more historical parks nearby.

The park was never "great". It was never a park to go to and expect a thrilling experience at. The atmosphere is what makes this closing sad. The park's people were so kind, and there were more classic rides than Blue Streak. Devils Den, and the indoor scrambler were two popular rides there also. Along with the Rollo-Plane. It was a great place to go with the family for a day, and go down to the beach, and maybe stay in the hotel. CLP was never expected to compete with surrounding parks, it was a place for family to go have fun, and share their past times at the park with their kids. I know my mom told me a lot of stories about her family going to the park and fishing in the lake, ect. I will miss this park very badly and will never forget any of my visits there.

What other historical parks are close? Besides Kennywood.

Geauga Lake and Waldameer(though it isn't that historic). Hopefully the Blue Streak can be saved and rebuilt in a smaller park...Mabey Kennywood could buy it for their new expansion in a couple years.

I love classic parks, and I'm sad that CLP is closing However from a business sense, it won't change the area much. Keep in mind I've never been to CLP, so I can't tell any stories from my visits, but if a park say when Kiddieland(due to close in 09) closes, I'll be saying the same thing you are. Kiddieland is not a great park, but it is a nice family owned park.

^Exactly.

^^I highly doubt Kennywood will purchase Blue Streak IF it goes up for sale. I think Kennywood is looking to get alot of new things with their expansion plans. Our GM has mentioned he really likes B&M Hypers...so if anything expected I think a B&M Hyper is the most.