TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Conneaut Lake Park (CLP) Discussion Thread

Usually parks will shut down all rides, especially coasters, when there are reports of lightning in the area. However maybe this isn't the case for smaller parks, as I've only ever seen it happen in big chain parks.

Usually parks will shut down all rides, especially coasters, when there are reports of lightning in the area. However maybe this isn't the case for smaller parks, as I've only ever seen it happen in big chain parks.

We were shut down. The only thing still going was the chain.

BGE shuts down all the coasters and other outdoor rides during t-storms (I think you can still ride DarKastle, though). A few years ago, a storm blew in so quickly from off the James River that the park didn't get the chance to shut down and clear people off all the rides. A train full of people had just departed the station of the Loch Ness Monster when lightning struck a tree, which came down and ripped a big gash in the side of the train as it headed toward the lifthill (fortunately, no one was seriously hurt).

It should be open wendsday

The Blue Streak roller coaster at Conneaut Lake Park will be out of service at least until the middle of next week, according to George Deshner, the park’s director of operations.

The coaster’s 75-horsepower electric motor was damaged Thursday by a lightning strike.

While the rest of the park is open and operational, the spare motor for the Blue Streak must be reconditioned before it can be used, Deshner said. The motor won’t be ready until the middle of next week, Deshner said.

The Blue Streak Challenge, a fund-raiser for the roller coaster, that was scheduled for Monday has been postponed until July 17.

Man, that park can't get a break.

Did the park ever get the water slides up yet?

I was in Maryland all last week and only heard about this today.

glad no one was hurt.

I first saw it in the Meadville trib. What animals is that one person talking about? I thought the animal rights people blocked them on animals.

Call the BlueStreak what you will, but a 'death trap' is far from the truth on that one.

GP hacks...

We may be going to CLP this weekend.

Yesturday I was promoted out of kiddieland. And I was on the tilt a whirl and the scotters were open and I saw thge best flying on that thing. A guy was up over the supports then slamed to the ground.

Also the train gave its first rides yesturday.

And It was great to meet you NatPac and Ted.

Good to meet you too. I ran into Ted and Catrina as they stopped by for a quick visit.

The Flying Scooters were open Saturday and they were getting ready for the reopening of the train on Sunday. Bug was looking good but I don't know if it will be open for the holiday on Tuesday. It looked like one of the waterslides was open. Good to see the Round Up going and the Toboggan, even with one car (I think everyone is afraid of that thing as it still had no line). Apparently the Scrambler will be placed where the Yo-Yo used to be. That will help fill the midway in a bit more. The park is getting close to having all rides open for the first time in a long time.

I also had a chance to ride the Witch's Stew for the first time since it reopened. That thing is powerful. It also can make you sick if you're not careful too. I thought a couple kids next to me were going to lose their lunch.

• 5 weeks later...