TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Conneaut Lake Park (CLP) Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, coasterbill said:

It’s hilarious that everyone on the internet is worried because they’re going to have a structural engineer make sure the ride isn’t on the verge of collapse before they reopen it and EVERYONE knows that’s a pretty lofty standard for this thing. 🤣

With the history of the park and fire I'm amazed the thing hasn't burst into flames.
I'd be lying if I said it wouldn't be a disappointment if it was demolished (it was my second coaster) but I'd completely understand.  I'm happy to see and hear there is someone in charge of the park now who actually wants to make sure buildings won't collapse on people and that rides won't fall apart.

For sure everyone wants to be safe at the park.  I hope they can renovate Blue Streak so it can run for many years to come.  CLP without Blue Streak would never be the same.  Didn't they have an engineer checking on the coaster on a regular basis in the last few years?  The one that refurbished it.  I think it was Leonard Adams?

The trackwork they've done on the first three drops in the past five years has been impressive, and they were working on the lift hill pre-covid. It didn't seem like there was ever any new wood on the actual support structure, though.

The train, on the other hand, didn't seem to have much visible work done to it. As much as I love the vintage look, it really needs replaced. Retrofit the original Vettel train? Yeah, right...

10 minutes ago, CenturyFlyer said:

The train, on the other hand, didn't seem to have much visible work done to it. As much as I love the vintage look, it really needs replaced. 

^ How can someone with your profile picture and username possibly suggest getting rid of those wonderful trains!!? 😆

Last time I rode it was  June 2017 and it was running great!  My kids and I loved it!  There was fresh new track in some spots but it seemed there was no new wood on the structure, just the track.  It is a really good coaster.  The layout, tunnel, trains, vintage and abandonned look all make it special, scary and thrilling at the same time!!  I think the other coaster that was kind of like it was the William's Grove Cyclone which I didn't ride:( 

^ How can someone with your profile picture and username possibly suggest getting rid of those wonderful trains!!? [emoji38]
Haha, you're right! Of course I would love to see the train completely refurbished, with the return of the fourth car and working headlights again! Let's dream! I just thought it was worth mentioning that the train does need a refresh... but yeah, I would be sad if they got rid of it. Whatever needs to be done to preserve the ride is fine by me!

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using Tapatalk

I don't wish death on any wood coaster because if you re-track them and spend the money they can all be good but I will say that our only ride on it was terrible and we only rode once because we actually felt like we rode once and didn't die and we were already tempting fate. I also have a small splinter of wood that hit me in the face on my ride as a souvenir forever.

It would be a cool ride if they took care of it though.

I enjoyed the crazy airtime on Blue Streak's first three drops in the back car.  The airtime was so crazy that the seat itself got airtime and lifted off the train and spanked my behind on each drop.  The ride was extremely shaky in the valleys though.  I rode it a few times, but my fiancée could only take one ride on it.

I'm just not sure what to make of the updates I am seeing in the various Facebook groups I am a part of. Certainly making some headway getting rid of some stuff. Clearly the Midway was in disrepair and it was hard to see a scenario where it would be lively and attractive. So I get taking it out. It leaves significantly less *park.* They removed Witches Stew and the Kiddie Carousel. If the park keeps the Blue Streak, Devil's Den, Carousel, and Tumble Bug, plus Kiddieland, I would be happy. The other rides are obviously replaceable, though I'm not sure that the intent is to do that.

As for Blue Streak, I've enjoyed my rides on it recently. But, no doubt, it is sketchy. And the trains need work or replaced. The park has one thing going for it; there are devoted folks who want to see it succeed. That doesn't mean that there are the crowds at the moment to support that mission. But, if the new owner is smart, he would at least let those folks keep things clean on a volunteer basis.

• Like 2

The thing I've heard from the new owner (I also don't really know what to make of the whole situation) is there are plans to bring in new rides, I don't know when and I don't know what.  It's just an interesting situation to monitor.  I hope new midway and office buildings can be built eventually, it's not like they were really anything that special, they were just collapsing structures at this point.
If it is able to continue existing and the Blue Streak can continue to exist I'd call that a win.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like the new owner will revitalize the whole park and refurbish the beloved rides such as Blue Streak.  Quite frankly it is needed in order to keep the park and the rides (especially Blue Streak) open for years to come and with the pandemic that seems to be far from over, this year is the perfect time to do so.  Next year we will have a nice CLP with a new facelift and uptaded rides and buildings:)

• 4 weeks later...

You've probably heard that it's not running this year. I doubt that they've evaluated the structure yet - that kind of sounds like a "we'll get around to it" type of thing to me. It does sound like the Devil's Den will run at some point in the summer though, so that's good.

They haven't made a Facebook post in nearly a month, and that was just a "disclaimer" about the Tumble Bug to say that it would return in the future. They then took it entirely apart, saving just the cars and sweeps and jackhammering all the concrete. I love that thing, but I really don't see this guy pouring $$$ into getting it running again.

In the end, if the Blue Streak does reopen at some point in the future, I'll still look at this ownership change in a positive light.

They're doing a lot of paving and ripping down old blighted buildings (I don't know if they're planning on re-building any of them for this year yet).
Blue Streak is probably at least a year away at this point, and that's fine.  There's a ton of work they have to do to the park.

On another note, if you would like to advertise on the watertower you can do so, they've been trying to find an advertiser to get it sandblasted and cleaned up for a couple of months here.

I can't see them not reopening Blue Streak, but in the event that they don't, I have no reason to go there again. It's about an hour from my PA house and I try to make a yearly trip out there to support the park (same with Waldameer)

• Like 1

I love CLP and I count Blue Streak as my #2 woodie.  The park may be cracked and falling apart in some respects, but I have a ton of FUN there which doesn't happen at big corporate parks.  And those waterslides, holy cow.  Nuts!