TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Conneaut Lake Park (CLP) Discussion Thread

For those who don't know or need a recap:

1930s: Park is nearly closed for development but is saved by the Depression.

1994: Park is slated to be replaced by a FEC (and the Blue Streak demolished). All of the rides are AUCTIONED OFF, but a few specific people buy most of them and the land.

1995: Park doesn't open.

2006-7: Park doesn't open.

2008: Massive fire destroys ballroom and much maintenance infrastructure.

2013: Fire destroys Beach Club.

2014: A planned sheriff's sale is put off when the park files for bankruptcy. A recovery plan is developed.

2020: Park doesn't open, hopefully for good reason.

This is just another part of the story. They will get through this.

I'm sure other small parks have gone through major challenges somewhat like Conneaut Lake, but being close to Conneaut Lake I don't know how they continue to survive, they're the little park that keeps chugging along. I hope they survive this just like they've survived all the challenges that have already faced them.

• 7 months later...

Update:

We all are aware that 2020 was a tough year for many businesses, including Conneaut Lake Park. However, in a very positive turn of events, the Trustees received an offer from a qualified cash buyer to purchase all assets of Conneaut Lake Park. The current bidder’s intentions are to invest in the property and to expand on the year-over-year momentum the Park has gained. This is very exciting news!

Since the Park is in a bankruptcy reorganization plan, this offer must go through the bankruptcy court process. Filed just yesterday at the bankruptcy court was a motion to go through the procedures of a public auction for all assets of Conneaut Lake Park. This means that if there are any additional qualified buyers interested in placing a higher bid, they have a chance to come forward prior to the public hearing, but the offer must be on ALL assets of the Park. We are thrilled about this new opportunity that allows the Park to continue to progress and serve the community!

- Conneaut Lake Park Facebook Page

• Like 1

Hopefully it reopens as a park.  CL has gone thru a lot!  Never ending.  I love that place because it is so unique. Last time I was there was 2017 and we had a blast there.  Blue Streak is so much fun and the way it looks makes you think it might collapse!

Condos? The park's in the boondocks of PA. The rides are not on the lake like a boardwalk park, but the property does have some lakefront space.image.png.e3aa8ba66347d125680513011a667031.png

Yeah, if someone thinks they can sell condos there then I have some ocean front property I can sell you in California City. I will admit that I thought the lake by the park was nice and better then I expected and I liked Blue Streak’s placement in the woods but the rest of the park looked worse than a third rate county fair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

With the sale of CLP approved this week to a new owner, what are the chances we see it reopen as an amusement park!?  Will it be torn down for something else!?  I hope not.  As much as I want to see it florish again I am a bit skeptical that it will return as an amusement park.

• Like 1

All reports seem to indicate that the buyer plans on re-opening the property as a park (likely in 2022 unless something big changes with restrictions in PA).
Will there be any improvements? That remains to be seen.  If they could fix some of the blacktop and rip down some of the decrepit buildings that would go a long way to improving the park.

(Fixing the pavement may be a bit of a pipe dream at the moment, but hey, I can dream, right?)

On 3/8/2021 at 9:41 AM, pryonisys said:

All reports seem to indicate that the buyer plans on re-opening the property as a park (likely in 2022 unless something big changes with restrictions in PA).
Will there be any improvements? That remains to be seen.  If they could fix some of the blacktop and rip down some of the decrepit buildings that would go a long way to improving the park.

(Fixing the pavement may be a bit of a pipe dream at the moment, but hey, I can dream, right?)

Really hope they open this year... I like to do a yearly trip up 79 north to ride Blue Streak once a year. Not sure why the state would hold them back. Lakemont opened last year with no issue  - video from last year below... they didn't have to do anything special to open...

For those who didn't see it, pictures were posted this morning of lots of buildings with spray-painted Xs on them, obviously meaning they're slated for demolition. The park then posted this on their Facebook page:

Our primary goal this year is to clean up the park, demo everything that is unsafe and open safely on Memorial Day weekend.

So yeah, Conneaut is still Conneaut.

By the way, the building removals are all unattractive and run-down structures.

Lots of demo is being done this week (it was on the local news, you can check out ErieNewsNow if you're really that interested)
They were knocking down old picnic pavilions and what looks like a large portion of the buildings (I'm not surprised).  Witches Stew seems to be getting removed also.
A big push for this summer seems to be having a large clear area for events like car shows.
They're trying to open by Memorial Day, but are indicating that not all of the park will open (seems like the water slides and kiddie land are the priorities)

It’s hilarious that everyone on the internet is worried because they’re going to have a structural engineer make sure the ride isn’t on the verge of collapse before they reopen it and EVERYONE knows that’s a pretty lofty standard for this thing. 🤣

• Haha 2