TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Conneaut Lake Park (CLP) Discussion Thread

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like they have a more positive outlook than in years past. I dunno, I obviously am of the group that would like for it to succeed. I acknolwedge the park is nothing crazy awesome. But I will obviously be pleased if they can pull it together, just for the history.

Wait wait wait, they're re-opening the waterpark???

Why would anyone go there when they could just go to the waterpark up the road at Waldameer and NOT get Ebola?

Anyway I'm glad they came up with yet another plan to re-organize deck chairs on the Titanic. I'm sure it'll work out way better this time.

Wha... just... how?

I just don't get it. How are these creditors letting them off again? I thought the lazy river was a total loss? Without it there is no water park, just a couple old crappy slides.

The only way forward for this park is to pursue new business opportunities that make sense such as vacation rentals, festivals, summer camps, and retreats. There are ways that this can be pulled off, so it's frustrating to see them keep making the same mistakes over and over again.

Just when ya thunk it was gone, she rises from from the dead. I really thought last year was it's last. It really is an amazing park, in a odd post -apoplectic horror movie sort of way. If you have never been, and you are a true coaster/park fan, you really must check out this wonderful part of history before it's gone. I'll be making a visit this coming august for sure.

I can't wait to go to the park again this year. Of all the parks I've been to, I've had some amazing experiences at Conneaut Lake Park. Beautiful park despite the need of property clean up. The setting itself and untouched history is wonderful.

The park is still in the red, but having their taxes pretty much paid off now buys them the time they need and asked for to reimagine the park.

The trustees that own/operate the park know that it isn't profitable as just an amusement park, and honestly the amusement park will likely never be profitable because the park just doesn't make economic sense with the way the market is today.

That being said, the restoration of the water park adds a ton of ticket revenue potential for what is overall a small investment. Between that and the expansion of Camperland (which is already bring in $60,000 a year), it is clear they know that the amusement park isn't the place to invest in beyond upkeep, beautification, and operation/services. There is a reason they aren't buying up old carnival rides and it is a good reason.

Looking forward to the new season and the progress the park is managing to make! Now we just need the state to exempt them from future property tax (at least in the areas that are free public use spaces like the beach, lawn, stage, etc.)

• 4 weeks later...

Small update for the park...

They are repainting the entire Blue Streak station interior. No word of painting the exterior but as of last season the exterior of the station looked good and the new lighted sign for the ride looks great still. No word on if they have finished redoing the giant tunnel before the lift hill but I know the framework is all in place. I hope they can complete that soon because the long dark tunnel really adds to the ride.

Devils Den has gone through a lot of updating over the winter and some of that will still be in progress during the season as more effective sensors are put in.

I don't know of any other updates but honestly other than the pavement being a mess in the park, the park has pretty much been cleaned up in all areas and looks good.

Excited for the new season and hoping I can make it up there at least one time!

They are repainting the entire Blue Streak station interior. No word of painting the exterior but as of last season the exterior of the station looked good and the new lighted sign for the ride looks great still.

Yeah, myself and the other volunteers really only repainted the exterior of the building and the railings when we did it a few years ago. Glad to see that the paint job is holding up well.

They are repainting the entire Blue Streak station interior. No word of painting the exterior but as of last season the exterior of the station looked good and the new lighted sign for the ride looks great still.

Yeah, myself and the other volunteers really only repainted the exterior of the building and the railings when we did it a few years ago. Glad to see that the paint job is holding up well.

Thank you for volunteering. I wish I could volunteer but being in Atlanta makes it just about a dozen hours too far away for me.

I believe Ghost Lake utilizes it for one of their 13 haunts. The inside is still decorated and works well with the event. It never made sense to me for the park to have an attraction with live scare actors. The last thing they needed was to add multiple people to their payroll for one minor attraction.

Edited by SFOG1991

This park just needs to be put out of its misery already...

This thread is like a broken record: "yay, it's open!" and by seasons end "oh crap, it's in trouble again."

This park just needs to be put out of its misery already...

This thread is like a broken record: "yay, it's open!" and by seasons end "oh crap, it's in trouble again."

I do not understand this mentality at all. I plan on riding this historic coaster while I still have the chance. But why do we need to worry about whether or not it'll survive, to the point of HOPING it'll die, just because the constant chatter about it is vaguely irritating to you? Why can't we just enjoy it while it's still here? If you think it's an irredeemable dump then don't go, simple as that.

^I'll let you know if my feelings experience a similar shift, but I'm not sure how they could seeing as I pretty much know exactly what to expect. I've seen all the pictures and read all the reports. As just a quick stop on the way to Waldameer I don't see how my feelings could sour to that extent.