TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Conneaut Lake Park (CLP) Discussion Thread

Thanks for the photos and the trip report. Nice to finally see some crowds a the park. The best photo is the one of Toboggan sitting dismantled - finally.

Your detailed description of your Blue Streak rides put a smile on my face as it brought back memories of my visit last year. It is easily the scariest ride I've been on considering the condition ride is in like the warped looking track on the lift. It would be a big loss if the ride was to be lost forever.

Thought that I would add on to ejot's trip report with some night shots of this year's Ghost Lake.

I really liked some of the new haunts this year, although due to large crowds we did not do every one. We did skip to the 13th however, which was a night ride on Blue Streak.

I got to ride in row 2 and got some great air with almost no roughness with the exception of a slightly mild jolt on the turn around. I agree with others that it certainly would be shame to see this coaster rot...or continue to rot...or get torn down, but I certainly don't have high hopes for the future of the park at this point.

085.JPG.2a636b9db1cd29426f629e24e7d95d45.JPG

I like the new sign...is it a sign of hope? A beacon for the future???

087.JPG.7c83c6bd072a3ce9ba449e9e9609cb85.JPG

I have no clue as to why several of my photos came out blurry as I had not changed any settings and was waiting for the green light on the shutter. Perhaps this place is really haunted?

This Easter Bunny was terrorizing guests waiting to buy tickets at the gate...as well as clowns & monsters with chainsaws. I think that I inhaled more smoke during my wait in line than I did during my early 20's!

089.JPG.c3a4b78ee83f04b13e2d9e2e2ad89978.JPG

This ghoul was waiting for you to enter the spinning dark tunnel of hot death that will give most everyone a severe case of nausea before they even get spit into the park.

091.JPG.8cdcf7ed188723a1a404046f2c5995d1.JPG

If you're looking for a new bathroom, Frank can help hook you up with a blue tarp.

And how can you snark at the one day installation and lifetime warranty?

093.JPG.f775d745dbbdd77b0b3e82e77882c70b.JPG

Blue Streak sponsored by a lawyer...hmmmm.

096.JPG.a486d48e66d236209d0b24855957e271.JPG

The line for the first haunt stretched almost all the way to Blue Streak all the way to the Kiddieland entrance - about a half hour wait.

097.JPG.76af14429d4865bbaa407d08e72d966d.JPG

Mmmmmm....ribeye steak from a carnie!

101.JPG.5db994b10c3f9df9b8baca2911ca2d22.JPG

Wow!

Gourmet wood fired pizza....at Conneaut Lake???

102.JPG.25ff6e85910988e0d26686bc562fa652.JPG

"Tey'll make you a pizza you can'ta refusah"

103.JPG.ab2757d4f94dfd0bb26a07e5599159de.JPG

Devil's Den still rockin' the gum wall.

107.JPG.f7fdd6bb54b9a68f841226af43691f4d.JPG

HHHN?

Bitch pleeeeeazzze...that is so 1999!

110.JPG.3adba676be615564bffed5db09f88fd4.JPG

We got chased by people with chainsaws through the merry-go-round.

Good times.

122.JPG.f77060ca2dd9732d70c86e2313b19001.JPG

The Funeral Home is the 2nd haunt...we waited another half hour for this one before the lines stabilized.

124.JPG.e87594ddd1c42847e78b56d6d58665bf.JPG

House Of Evil...we had been through this one, but I love how these houses are actually part of the residential area around the park!

132.JPG.1c6f44416319488777d75351a2e081da.JPG

This was a new one: Last House On The Left, where you actually walked down the lakefront to....the last house on the left.

Easily the longest and best house we walked through.

134.JPG.980ca74332f5f4e6f70296030a21df87.JPG

Was this sign lifted from a Chinese park?

"A scared child on the ground may well panic in the air?" So if children panic before riding the coaster, they will certainly panic when they fly out of the coaster through the air falling to their death?

135.JPG.a11063cb81a22a35ba6c5b68ee1c82ad.JPG

Not sure why they have tarps over the PTC trains...just burn it already!

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Philrad71

Great pictures and report! I was at Conneaut for the first time this past August; Blue Streak immediately found a place in my top 10. I hope the park survives and flourishes in the future. That coaster is better than any new fancy-faux-wood-tallest-steepest anything out there. It's a REAL roller coaster.

Awesome trip report! It looks like Conneaut Lake puts on a stellar Halloween event.

The abandoned residential houses are creepy, but obviously this is no where near Universal or even Halloweekends in terms of props and theming. The good thing is that they don't have to do much of anything for theming because it's already there. They use what's given to them and the rest falls into place rather easily.

There are a couple of haunts where the scare actors are allowed to touch you too, which is a no-no in most of today's corporate theme park haunts. While they do not grope, they will tap you on the shoulder when you are not expecting it.

Slight spoiler alert - Another first this year was the slight grasping of ankles by hands coming out from underneath old, dirty beds with corpses or skeletons in them. We were all expecting the bodies to jump up and scare us, but instead we had cold hands wrap around our ankles as we walked by! Scared the f%$k out of all of us!

Just an update for anyone following the saga.

http://www.recordargusnews.com/news/2014-10-22/News/Crawford_Co_judge_delays_sheriffs_sale_for_Conneau.html

Crawford Co. judge delays sheriff’s sale for Conneaut Lake Park

MEADVILLE (AP) — A judge has delayed the sheriff’s sale of Conneaut Lake Park until objections by the state attorney general’s office can be heard next month.

The Meadville Tribune reported Tuesday that a Crawford County judge has delayed the sale until after a Nov. 24 hearing on the objections.

Conneaut Lake Park had been scheduled to be sold Nov. 7 to recoup more than $927,000 in taxes owed to Crawford County and other entities.

But the attorney general is opposing the sale because the park is a tax-exempt charitable trust, among other issues.

Conneaut Lake Park’s trustees still hope a financial reorganization will allow them to redevelop, revitalize and expand the facilities.

The park opened in 1892.

This park will never die.

If it ever does somehow close, I'm going to get really depressed. It's been fun watching it constantly escape the seemingly inevitable. Plus, how many truly classic small parks are there left? Like 4 or 5? It's been tough losing Bell's, Joyland, Miracle Strip, LeSourdsville lake, and several others in just the last decade.

• 3 months later...

Of course the park is planned to be open later this Spring if the bankruptcy is still ongoing as a Chapter 11, as a business can continue day-to-day operations under Chapter 11. Roughly 10-15% of Chapter 11 Bankruptcies result in successful re-organization, so if this Bankruptcy were to evolve into Chapter 7, operations would likely cease or be cancelled. A lot of information is being passed around, and the numbers are shockingly scary. The park is grossed less $300,000 in 2014, and hasn't paid a dime on existing outstanding property tax debt or a whole slew of other debts amounting over $3 million dollars. Even worse, the gross income for Conneaut Lake Park has declined for the last several years. A refurbished Blue Streak and a Travel Channel "makeover" haven't stopped or slowed the bleeding.

So there is a chance we might get some rides on Blue Streak and the handful of other rare rides at the park in 2015, but I wouldn't say Conneaut Lake Park is about to turn around or become a viable business. Enjoy every ride there as if it were your last, as the sad truth is the park has one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.

I hate to say that this park needs to be put out of it's misery but at this point I really can't help but feel that way, especially after visiting last year and seeing the awful state of the place. Throw in the fact that there's a great family park that's clean, fun and quickly expanding just 45 minutes away and I see no hope for this place.

Honestly, I can't believe this poor 'lil park is still around. It's only a very little shadow of itself from when I was a kid. I wish them luck and it's on my bucket list for this summer. Just for Blue Streak, Devils Den, those classic flying scooters and the mostest awesomest ride, the best tumble bug left in the world !

Blue Streak and Tumblebug are basically their two top priority rides to have operating, so if the park is open it's almost guaranteed that those two rides will be open as well (unless there is some major issue or they're waiting for a part).