TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Conneaut Lake Park (CLP) Discussion Thread

Really excited to go here a couple of weeks ago they where doing the craft show on the Boardwalk. My cousin and I decided to drive over there before lunch and then found out the parks was opening at 1pm. It was amazing. I love my Blue Streak and Happy Birthday to it as well. Rode the Blue Streak 22 times in the 5 hours we are so thrilled that it's one of my favorite roller coasters. I'm originally a Pittsburgh Gurl. Kennywood is my home park, Conneaut is my summer home park because we live there most of the summer. Getting Excited for Ghost Lake at the Park. Keep up the good work guys hopefully they will have the water park cleaned up and running by next year.

Today was completely outstanding! Every ride and food stand had a line all day and the midways were packed. I've never seen the park this busy and alive. For everyone who didn't make it you missed out on a great day and free blue streak cake!

E41A1358.jpg.b7dedb7f7556e1ace69f555ea064a200.jpg

Main midway

E41A1359.jpg.4b1a83b544274093c4ea7533c6588b34.jpg

Another shot of the midway

E41A1360.jpg.cbaff47eccff0bfdba243ea5fa6dc798.jpg

Full queue at the bug which like the streak is running faster than ever.

If this park continues to be supported, I really have confidence. There are a nice collection of rides. I think some new paint and pavement would bring the place to life. Great to see it so busy for Blue Streak's birthday.

• 2 weeks later...
Picture of the fire below... How sad. I was actually going to go to the park today.

The park is open today and this weekend at 1PM.

Picture of the fire below... How sad. I was actually going to go to the park today.

The park is open today and this weekend at 1PM.

Yes, I don't think the fire affected the whole park--just the stuff on the lake.

This is sad and a big loss to the resort as a whole but should not affect the amusement park too much, The beach club and Hotel are leased by Park Restoration LLC and are not affiliated with Adams Amusements who leases the ride area. The Club and Lakeside pavilion are a considerable distance from the midway and rides and the fire likely did not harm anything aside from the club and pavilion.

The thing everyone should take away from this is that the park is open and will be doing business as usual. There is still a ballroom, concert stage complex with bleachers and the hotel bars that will pick up the slack of the lost buildings. This is nothing, the park will shake this off like it always does.

Keep spreading the word that the park is open so people don't get the idea that the whole place went up in smoke. Like George Tilyou once said "I have problems today that I did not have yesterday and I had problems yesterday that I do not have today"

See you guys Saturday at 7pm for the reveal party!

The second NAD Century Flyer train for the Blue Streak, which was being used as spare parts, was destroyed in the fire, along with at least a few other park related things. Not only that, but the bands and entertainment booked at the Beach Club drew a lot of people to the park.

Without the Beach Club and restaurant you really have almost nothing left at the park... Especially since the ballroom burned down years ago.

The place thrived off the beach club, ballroom and hotel in its prime... Without those, not sure if it has a chance.

The amusement park is intact and offers plenty, The crowds that came to the Beach Club generally were a different crowd than those that visited the park adults/ motorcyclists etc... vs the majority of park patrons this year has been families. The concert venue is intact and will cover the live music events and also contains a bar and grill area that should cover any services the beach club offered. I expect that this will be a busy weekend just from people coming to gawk at the wreckage let alone the Park After Dark party.

The loss of the spare NAD train is highly unfortunate but I am of the understanding that it was already well picked over and did not have very many good parts left on it especially after the last couple years of constant work on the coaster. There is still the good NAD that is in use and there is a operable Vettle train as well as the spare vettle train that is intact and is safely in storage. The park will be ok and will get through this without breathing hard.

One really has to wonder if there is some serial arsonist in this area. How many fires have they had in or around the park over the years...three or four now? And it seemed like I recall that at least two were ruled arson. Should be interesting to hear the investigation results from this one.

Definitely sad to see as we would always go into the bar and have a beer or drink when we visited the park. Certainly wasn't the classiest joint in the world, but it did blend in well with the park's atmosphere.

I went to the park yesterday and I did notice some improvements over last year when I was there. New entrance signs along with other signs alone the park. People were all over the park painting. There were definitely many more people riding then I expected to see. I would hate to see this park go. As a kid Conneaut and Geauga Lake were my family trip. I would hate to lose both my childhood memories

Hey everyone!

A huge amount of volunteers (myself included) have come to Conneaut Lake Park all of this week as part of a large-scale improvement to the park! The park's been open since Thursday, but on Saturday August 3rd the park will be formally revealing all the improvements - including an unveiling of a brand-new attraction at 7 PM - as part of their "Park After Dark" event.

Please come on out to Conneaut Lake Park on Saturday! They could really use your support! The park opens at 1 PM like normal.

291827728_CLP-AfterDarkFlyer_v4.thumb.jpg.776665109e9e1d08fb5b5c003cff213f.jpg

http://www.newpittsburghcourieronline.com/index.php/featured-news/metro/15751-state-has-no-record-of-safety-inspections-of-conneaut-lake-park-amusement-park

Not the best PR CLP wanted about their rides department. As someone with a decent background in the inspection process PA rides go through, it is not in their financial benefit to go around these laws. If no records can be found, they will be dealt some hefty fines as opposed to the small cost to perform the annual pre-season inspections as well as the monthly required state inspections. Basically, the only cost involved in the process is paying for your own mechanics to be certified to perform inspections.

^ Did you not read the entire article?

“It makes me look bad. But I did everything the law said to do,” he said. Adams said he keeps copies of all safety inspections on file at his park.

Not to mention...

An ongoing PublicSource investigation shows that the state does not have inspection reports from a number of parks operating in 2012. The state enforcement officials said they did not know about the missing inspection reports until reporters told them.

It sounds like something went wrong on the state's end.

Just to keep the peace, I did say earlier "if no records can be found." So I am giving CLP the benefit of a doubt in this particular situation. My main point was analyzing what they might be up against if somehow the worst is true.

The caption for the photo from an unofficial Conneaut Lake Twitter account: 'SO excited about Conneaut Lake Park's new attraction: The Haunted Hostile! Definitely a step in the right direction!'

As people return from the event I'm sure we will hear all about what this attraction might be. I take it it might be a walk through of sorts, though this picture really doesn't tell us much.

image.thumb.jpg.47b347ee71a63ff7b88e7ad585f9dd02.jpg

Haunted Hostile

I spent a couple hours earlier today out at CLP. It's been about seven years since my last visit. A lot of painting was going on in the park and the Travel Channel was doing a bit of filming. Got the wristband including Blue Streak for $15 instead of the $20 as indicated on the ticket booth I guess as part of the special event the park was going to have later on. Only rides closed were the Music Express, Devil's Den, Tilt-A-Whirl, and the train.

Quite a few people with cameras were there to take photos of the Beach Club remains. I'm sure they have an intent to rebuild and I hope it won't be a long time before construction begins.

I only rode Blue Streak four times. It was running the NAD train and it seemed very sluggish on my first ride but the three subsequent rides after were much better. I can vouch for the ride that you get in the back seat. While the first drop was crazy it was the second drop that really got me. Ejector air, as if my seat was being yanked away from me, had me holding on the bar a bit tight. Wow!!

Tumble Bug was running great and it's quite a speedy ride compared to the Kennywood Turtle. Employees were really nice as well.

I didn't take a lot of photos but here are a few from my visit today.

2121956865_ConneautMainEntrance.jpg.2c241729c185217d0512332e04cdeafd.jpg

Conneaut's Main Entrance getting a nice paint job.

1075613778_BeachClubRemains.jpg.0d709fcfdbcc262d8c977f701a482137.jpg

What's left of the Beach Club fire.

817901173_BeachClubRemains1.jpg.0ec9dc3a0c95314f87334b317eea9a56.jpg

More Beach Club remains

1826202007_ConneautEastMidway.jpg.5895c01ac27dbb986c12fe07ba7646f2.jpg

East Midway. Despite how depressing this may look it felt like there was an atmosphere of hope. Conneaut Lake is in an ideal location to be a thriving park again but we'll have to see if that comes to pass.

593022436_BlueStreakLiftfromKiddieland.jpg.b718d8b857b80aec463865eebf789061.jpg

Blue Streak's lift from Kiddieland. What a great ride and the new track really makes a difference. I hope the lift sees some work soon as it always freaks me out in how the track looks as you go up it.

141077942_ConneautWestMidway.jpg.378a4a6acac65cf1df67378e973f9ead.jpg

I love how shady the west midway is. This is looking back towards the front of the park.

1241236911_TumbleBug.jpg.39f91ccdf2f18b5c892e3878fb4a76f4.jpg

The Tumble Bug is such a gem. Glad that they are still able to keep it running. They also give you a decent ride cycle as well.

881262661_FlyingScooters.jpg.774220376c99c76fc0acd838082dd6d0.jpg

One last photo from today of the Flying Scooters.