TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Conneaut Lake Park (CLP) Discussion Thread

Good luck to the park. I had a good time there with TPR this Summer. It may not be the best park but the staff was really trying and we had a good time.

Agreed. It was a great time on the TPR trip. The workers there, love what they are doing, and have a passion for this place.

Yeah, this was a nice little park. Not the type of place I'd go out of the way to visit, but I'd stop by again if I was nearby. I really want to see this park survive, as it is a historical park with a couple rare rides. Fortunately, the staff that were present during our visit seemed really committed to restoring the place. All they need is money.

• 4 months later...

In what seems to be an annual occurence: Conneaut Lake Park financial troubles

http://meadvilletribune.com/breakingnews/x1303519145/County-officials-Amusement-park-must-come-up-with-tax-payment-plan-or-face-public-auction-in-September

County officials: Amusement park must come up with tax payment plan or face public auction in September

January15, 2013

By Keith Gushard Meadville Tribune

CONNEAUT LAKE — More than $850,000 in back real estate property taxes and interest Conneaut Lake Park owes to various municipal governments may come to a head next month.

Crawford County officials have given Trustees of Conneaut Lake Park until Feb. 7 to present a plan to repay back taxes. That’s when the county Treasurer Christine Krzysiak is scheduled to meet again with Trustees of Conneaut Lake Park.

At today’s commissioners’ work session, Krzysiak reported to commissioners that Trustees did not present a plan to repay the taxes at a meeting Jan. 8.

Commissioners said Tuesday that a plan needs to be presented or the more-than-100-year-old amusement park’s real estate could be sold for back taxes at the annual tax delinquency sale in September.

“I hope something can be worked out,” Francis Weiderspahn Jr., chairman of the county’s board of commissioners, said following the today’s work session. “We wanted a plan no different than anybody else that pays taxes in Crawford County if they get behind. They’ve had that opportunity to make the plan, but you’re expected to come up with a plan stick to it and make every effort to get caught back up.”

Is Pepsi still handing out money? Maybe they can hit them up again if they are. If not, I can see another fire coming after the break of winter. I wonder if the insurance payout for a fire on the Devils Den would cover the bill.

Well I do know a good home for the Devil's Den in Middleton, CT so I hope there is not a fire.

^ Good point, I would really like to see it there along with the original West Park Dark Ride the was Fright Zone at Erieview Park. Would be nice to restore the second level on that one also. I think that went to CL and they had it in storage somewhere. Both would be nice at Bobs place.

• 1 month later...
Not directly park related but has anyone gone on one of the hotel's ghost hunt weekends? I was seriously thinking about the one this weekend but may do the next one for something different

I have not gone to these events but I have done a private lock in with the group involved at the Hotel a few years ago and I have also joined several other groups before. It is always a good time and I have had several encounters.

• 3 months later...

Is this a scare tactic, or the real deal, what are your thoughts?

http://meadvilletribune.com/local/x1374698752/Conneaut-Lake-Park-headed-to-tax-sale-over-877K-in-property-taxes

MEADVILLE — The Crawford County Board of Commissioners said Wednesday it will put into motion plans to have Conneaut Lake Park be sold for overdue property taxes.

However, commissioners said any sale won’t happen until at least the September 2014 tax upset sale due to the number of properties and complexities involved.

At their board meeting Wednesday afternoon, commissioners issued a statement saying “The obligation of the commissioners is to the taxpayers of Crawford County.”

As of April 30, Trustees of Conneaut Lake Park owed $877,168.24 in back taxes and interest to Crawford County, Conneaut School District and Sadsbury and Summit townships, according to figures from the Crawford County Treasurer’s Office. The overdue taxes and interest date back to 1997, according to the Treasurer’s Office.

See Thursday’s print edition of The Meadville Tribune for more details.

Not trying to sound too harsh, but the park's current condition is pretty much an insult to even to the rough times from the mid 1990s through their previous hiatus from 2007-2008. Outside of Meadville, Conneaut Lake Park has been dead for a long time now as next to no one really cares to visit or even knows they are still operating (barely). It will be a shame to see all of that work that went into restoring Blue Streak go to waste if/when the tax sale takes place. If only the blueprints for Blue Streak can be preserved so that another park can recreate this very solid woodie kind of like Zippin Pippin.

Scare tactic mostly, given their emphasis on the "costly and extensive process" of organizing a tax sale of the park's 42 parcels that have literally dozens of parties with a legal interest. By that statement they are implying that such a sale would be far in the future if ever. The park and trustee's response to the tax sale is posted on their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/conneautlakepark?fref=ts I expect that if the county mounts any serious effort for a sale it will be fought tooth and nail by all involved entities.

I highly doubt the park is going anywhere, Much progress has been made since the reopening. All rides have been serviced, this year the 1949 Tilt N Hurl was completely rebuilt over the winter. The midway is painted, new midway games, new maintenance shop, blue streak kitchen redone and open for business, melted light fixtures removed, fire damaged kiddie land bathroom removed, blue streak restored, operating and maintained by a highly experienced coaster company, minigolf totally redone, new kiddie ride installed (idora park firetrucks), the train is back to operating, new parking lot sign is up along with other signage, good amount of money is coming in just from Ghost Lake event, security patrols and a maintenance staff paid for by Adams Amusements ensured that no vandalism happened during the off season and work was being done constantly to improve the park.

Earlier this week I was at the park helping with final preparations with the season. There was easily 30 people, most of them employees of the current lessee hard at work getting things ready for opening day. Everywhere I looked work was being done, train tracks gauge being checked and adjusted, blue streak station being power washed, Carpenters crawling all over the coaster, paint going up everywhere, gift shop stocked and cleaned etc... Even the news media has taken notice. www.wkbn.com/2013/05/21/conneaut-lake-park-ready-for-visitors/

Is this a scare tactic, or the real deal, what are your thoughts?

http://meadvilletribune.com/local/x1374698752/Conneaut-Lake-Park-headed-to-tax-sale-over-877K-in-property-taxes

MEADVILLE — The Crawford County Board of Commissioners said Wednesday it will put into motion plans to have Conneaut Lake Park be sold for overdue property taxes.

However, commissioners said any sale won’t happen until at least the September 2014 tax upset sale due to the number of properties and complexities involved.

At their board meeting Wednesday afternoon, commissioners issued a statement saying “The obligation of the commissioners is to the taxpayers of Crawford County.”

As of April 30, Trustees of Conneaut Lake Park owed $877,168.24 in back taxes and interest to Crawford County, Conneaut School District and Sadsbury and Summit townships, according to figures from the Crawford County Treasurer’s Office. The overdue taxes and interest date back to 1997, according to the Treasurer’s Office.

See Thursday’s print edition of The Meadville Tribune for more details.

This is what they mean by "LONG ARM" of the law. Or I suppose in this case it would be the long arm of the tax man.

Season got off to a good start this weekend, saturday and sunday were quite busy, hope to see everyone there this summer! Tumble Bug should be running soon as well! Its painfully obvious why they are almost extinct, they are complete maintenance hogs.

Not trying to sound too harsh, but the park's current condition is pretty much an insult to even to the rough times from the mid 1990s through their previous hiatus from 2007-2008. Outside of Meadville, Conneaut Lake Park has been dead for a long time now as next to no one really cares to visit or even knows they are still operating (barely). It will be a shame to see all of that work that went into restoring Blue Streak go to waste if/when the tax sale takes place. If only the blueprints for Blue Streak can be preserved so that another park can recreate this very solid woodie kind of like Zippin Pippin.

Memphis City govt. at the time should have be tarred and feathered. Should have done what Green Bay did on Mud Island like was suggested by many. That's my first roller coaster and likely have over 500 rides on it and near as many on the old Arrow Revolution.