TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Conneaut Lake Park (CLP) Discussion Thread

• 3 weeks later...

I made a quick stop at the park on Sunday. The park was pretty much empty, other than the large group of bikers over by the docks. It still needs quite a bit of TLC, especially the back midway where I assume all of the games used to be.

The first three drops on Blue Streak were insane!!! I rode in the back seat and felt like I was going to be completely ejected from the train. Thank you for not having seat belts. Beware, at the bottom of the first drop, my knees slammed into the seat in front of me. The outbound track was great, but the inbound track was really slow and boring with no air. I'm sure the ride runs faster when there are more than three people in the train.

I also had the chance to ride Devil's Den. What a wacky ride! I experienced some crazy, operator-induced laterals around the turn before the lift. Also the breaks consisted of either the operator grabbing your car, or your car slamming into the one in front of it.

Finally, I can confirm that the roll-o-planes are gone. In fact, I didn't even see any evidence of them. I asked the ticket salesman about them. She had no idea they ever existed.

The streak runs a lot faster with the full train of course. The progress being made is great, though as mentioned the park is far from perfection. Every week there is more and more new wood on the coaster, The infamous melted globes have been removed from the light poles near where the ballroom once was and the mini golf course was completely refurbed. Another kiddy ride has just been added and supposedly a ferris wheel and another adult ride are inbound. Season pass sales seem to have been somewhat popular despite the price, mine was somewhere near the 200th sold.

The circus may also be coming to conneaut next month according to the park facebook.

• 3 weeks later...

Just visited the park's official site. On the home page, it says this:

Attention:

The Blue Streak is expected to reopen on or before July 29th. In the interim it will be closed.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause our patrons.

We are looking forward to a smoother ride once these adjustments are carried out.

Does anyone know what sort of "adjustments" they are talking about?

I stayed there for a night free the year they had volunteers help re-paint the coaster. It had decent rooms but with very few modern amenities—no TV. It's a classic hotel, so I wasn't bothered by it.

The amenities don't matter to me, but it has to have AC. It was just nice to be on property esp with a 2 year old who is pretty consistent in getting to bed at 9 unless you want to release the DEMON. Will be coming down for Waldameer that day so not really looking to spend long, but I know of a lot of shuffleboards in the area bars that I want to hit and am meeting some of the local league players there and the hotel fits the location perfect. Just not sure with a price of 89-129 a night. Worth it?

Anyone ever stay at the hotel at Conneaut lake aka Conneaut Lake hotel. Was thinking of spending the night, is it worth it? Seen a couple of bad reviews but no one ever posts any good reviews. Anyone with any suggestions?

I guess that depends on if you mind ghosts... Apparently there are a few there.

The amenities don't matter to me, but it has to have AC.

They do have AC in a good number of rooms (maybe all?) now, so that should make you feel a little bit better about it! I've never stayed in the hotel (having a place 5 minutes down the road..,) so I don't know how the actual guest experience rates.

I'd like to give it a go sometime, though, as it is a pretty cool building!

I have stayed there quite a few times, in fact I got married there.

I enjoy it for being so a cool old historical building, and being able to stay right in the park. It is really nice to be able to wake up in the morning, and walk out to the nice porch and sit and stare at the lake, and feel the cool breeze. I also enjoy sitting there and relaxing in the evening with a good cold adult beverage.

One thing I will say though, if you want a room with A/C make sure you check in early, because it seems as if they overbook their rooms with A/C. Last time I stayed there, we made reservations 6 months ahead of time, and when we got their they didn't have any A/C rooms left. I was quite upset, but what could I do. All of the times I have stayed there did not have A/C, and it wasn't a problem, especially if you are on the lake side. You get a real nice cool breeze after the sun goes down, and I think all of the rooms have ceiling fans. Now on the 90-100 degree days we are having now in PA, that would probably not be the case.

Just be prepared, while it is a cool looking hotel, it still needs a lot of work, which is currently underway. Some of the room still look like they are stuck in the 60s/70s, while other rooms look brand new. Also the rooms are small, but comfortable. Some rooms also only have bathtubs, so if a shower is a must for you, I would request that also.

Hope this helps you some, if you are not worried about modern amenities, you would probably like it.

Also, about the ghosts, I never believed until they day of my wedding, when I was getting my tux on, strange stuff does happen there, I will tell my story is anyone is interested.

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I'll give it a go then.

I have stayed there quite a few times, in fact I got married there.

One thing I will say though, if you want a room with A/C make sure you check in early, because it seems as if they overbook their rooms with A/C. Last time I stayed there, we made reservations 6 months ahead of time, and when we got their they didn't have any A/C rooms left. I was quite upset, but what could I do. All of the times I have stayed there did not have A/C, and it wasn't a problem, especially if you are on the lake side. You get a real nice cool breeze after the sun goes down, and I think all of the rooms have ceiling fans. Now on the 90-100 degree days we are having now in PA, that would probably not be the case.

Thanks, good piece of info to have, but don't think I'm going to be able to do it. Hopefully we check in around 7-8, I hope that will be early enough to get the rooms with the A/C.

Also, about the ghosts, I never believed until they day of my wedding, when I was getting my tux on, strange stuff does happen there, I will tell my story is anyone is interested.

Might as well hear it. I'm always up for a good spook, even though I'll be in the bars in the area while the wife sleeps. Should make for some interesting stories.

Might as well hear it. I'm always up for a good spook, even though I'll be in the bars in the area while the wife sleeps. Should make for some interesting stories.

Our wedding was on Saturday afternoon, but we came to the hotel on Thursday morning, to enjoy a few days off, and to get some last minute things done. So we check into our room that afternoon. The window was already open (this was long before the had any AC. in 2003) and we had left the door open more that it was closed, except for at night when we were sleeping, because there were all kinds of my family and friends in and out of the room most of the day, especially Saturday, getting stuff ready for the wedding. We stayed there Thursday and Friday nights without indecent, but Saturday was different.

I believe our wedding was at 2:00, so at about 12:30 - 1:00 I go upstairs to my room, to get ready. Had to take a bath in the bathtub, because we didn't have a shower, but that doesn't matter here. Anyway, after I get my bath, and put my pants of the tux on, I opened the door of the room back up, because it was a HOT HUMID day, and wanted to get a nice breeze coming though.

So, as I was putting my shirt on, the door slammed, violently shut, I mean scared the crap out of me loud. I didn't remember a breeze that hard that would have shut the door, but was preoccupied putting the tux on. I just opened the door, and didn't think much more of it, until...

The windows slams shut just as violently as the door about 2 minutes later, the same window that had been open for at least two days straight! Hard enough, I thought I was going to have to pay to have a window replaced. Now I was getting a little spooked, but you will see when you are there, the windows are OLD, possible originals, and still use the old style heavy windows weights with the ropes if you know what I am talking about. Once again, maybe a coincidence????

Open the window back up, and go about my business. Then again, the door shuts, not violently, but hard, this time I just left the door well enough alone and keep getting dressed. The window also shuts again, a minute or so later. I didn't mess with either the door or the window again, just finished getting dressed quickly, and got the heck out of there.

I never told my wife until we left, because I didn't want her to be freaked out, as I kind of was. We stayed in that room for two more days, without a problem. I am glad a had a few drinks that night, because I might not have been able to sleep.

So take it for what it is, if someone told me that story, I would have told them the were full of crap, but it happened to me! I told the front desk later, and they said that things like that a lot to people getting ready for weddings. Maybe it was Elizabeth, who knows.

Also, I have stayed there many other times after, without a thing happening!

Good luck, and let me know how your trip goes! Also, if you need any recommendations for other cool sites to see in the area if you have time let me know. I have lived in PA all my life, and have been going to Conneaut all my life. I currently live about an hour from there.

^ Sit in the middle seat of a car (or the very front seat) and you will have a good ride. I prefer the middle seat of the last car - keep your back off of the seat and it is very re-rideable, along with having the amazing airtime the back seat provides. I've racked up nearly 100 rides since it reopened, and that is my strategy!

Enjoy your visit to the Park and the area.

I'm to understand Blue Streak will be down until at least next weekend due to some surprise required retracking. At least we know the ride is getting some proper attention to its upkeep and safety. I'm happy to wait a few weeks here and there to know the ride is being properly repaired and maintained. The STI crew really care about this coaster and obviously take pride in their work.

• 2 weeks later...