TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Conneaut Lake Park (CLP) Discussion Thread

^Sorry, I should have clarified that a bit more - Ghost Lake is the name of their Halloween event and it is on the website for this year, although no mention was made if any of the rides or Blue Streak would be operating.

I thought Ghost Lake was pretty good when we went two years ago. The fact that they lit up some of the rides that were SBNO definitely made it seem more creepy...and we really liked the haunt in the old hotel!

• 2 weeks later...

Just as a reminder Ghost Lake kicks off tomorrow its third year tomorrow night and its first with the Blue Streak!

The Blue Streak will be open along with all of the haunts which this year include...

The Amityville Horror (New!)

The Haunted Hotel Conneaut

Terror Down Under

Dr. Rot's Funeral Home

The Black Vortex

The Fog

The House of Evil(New!)

Along with the Blue Streak which can be added for $2 when buying your ticket for Ghost Lake with each additional Blue Streak ride costing $3.

Sept. 24th - Oct 31st

FRIDAYS AND SATURDAYS 7pm - 12am

SUNDAYS 7pm - 11pm

http://www.ghostlake.net/index2.htm

• 3 months later...

Conneaut Lake Park is looking to obtain another donation from the Pepsi Refresh Project. They last issued a request to help repair the historic Blue Streak roller coaster, which they later went on to receiving a few months back. This time around they are aiming to restore the Midway and Fun House. More info below... If you wish to help please follow the link below. You can vote one every 24 hours, so vote often! Thanks for your support!

www.refresheverything.com/conneautlakeparkmidway

The Midway of Conneaut Lake Park was once the center of activity. It contained a traditional Fun House, an Arcade, a Log Cabin restaurant, amusing games, food concessions and wonderful plant and flower beds. It is the link between the ride area and beautiful Conneaut Lake. The Midway is in dire need of restoration. The Fun House building roof and walls collapsed, tree roots are breaking through the pavement making it difficult to walk and the fire of the Dreamland Ballroom caused smoke and heat damage. We plan to refresh the Midway to continue to create a memorable experience for all the families who visit.

Deliverables:

- Rebuild the shell of the Fun House building and redo the facade.

- Rebuild the plant and flower gardens which once beautified the Midway and create new smooth safe walkways.

- Redo the facade of the midway; replacing damaged wood and lighting and adding detailed trim and painting.

connparkmid.jpg.e6d1eede36dff2e95403d14027ef261b.jpg

funhouse.jpg.8b4a71638dea49d17a9fa370942dc462.jpg

Personally, I think it is a shame that they are attempting to take even more money away from worthy causes. There's so many other causes in the "arts and culture" category that are much more deserving of the money (except for that one for the UCLA band ). I hope the money comes with some sort of guarantee they will keep the ride/park operating. Otherwise it will just be closed again within five years asking for more donations to stay afloat...

• 3 months later...

From their Facebook for people who live near Pittsburgh:

Attention all Pittsburgh-area CLP supporters! Mad Mex is graciously hosting a benefit dinner for the Park on May 17th at their Robinson location. Many thanks to ACE Western PA for coordinating the event. For all details and RSVP info, go to www.conneautlakepark.com and click on the Mad Mex graphic. Space is limited.

Man, can we pull the life support plug on this park already? I hate to see a park close as anyone else on this board does, but when is it enough? I spent much time as a child at the park when I lived in Pittsburgh. Honestly, most of the people who went to that lake where hillbillies. All their money goes to Skoal, Nascar, Budweiser and Cheap Trick re-union tours.The area needs a much more diverse crowd for this park to ever thrive again. Thus, the area needs to grow beyond the current state.

You are not going to pull in much cash for operational and capital expenses when the following link represents your core demographic.

http://mytrailerpark.com/

Disclaimer: This post is not meant to offend any members of this site that are hillbillies.

Conneaut absolutely refuses to die despite being hit with hard times, crummy economy, several years of neglect, and almost two years of operation without its signature attraction and repeated arson all of which have regrettably killed bigger and more popular parks with better "demographics". Its like Rocky Balboa getting back up again and again despite being bloody bruised and broken.

Why should we abandon this place when there is so many people standing behind it? The refresh grant was a huge effort by a lot of people to keep it in the top 10 and we succeeded, Every year the park has been open there's been a large turnout for the volunteer weekends to help get the park ready for the impending season. Would people show up to cedar point or the local six flags on their own free time to pull weeds and paint etc... for free? not likely. Would ACE have dropped $10,000 of their cash on this place if there was a chance it would go to waste?

Conneaut did VERY well during the Ghost Lake event and rightly so, I've been to countless haunted attractions in this and years past at Cedar Point and Geauga Lake's Haunt, Lake, Cuyahoga, Summit County fairgrounds, Haunted Schoolhouse and Lab etc... I can easily say without bias that Ghost Lake was the best I've ever been to and I didn't mind waiting in line at all and there was plenty of lines everytime I went. Being able to ride the Blue Streak on foggy moonless nights didn't hurt either.

I'm expecting the park to have a great season with the Blue Streak back in action with many more to come, Now if they could just resurrect the "ultimate trip" ride and get the Vettle train approved by the state inspector.

I am the first to admit that the place needs a fair amount of TLC especially the games midway but I'm confident that those days are coming soon. 2009 was about getting the place back in gear from the loss of the ballroom and stored maintenance equipment, and just getting out of mothballs. 2010 all efforts were on the Blue Streak, 2011 will no doubt see cosmetics taken care of. We will also likely see the return of The Blue Streak Challenge which regularly brought in several thousand in donations for the coasters maintenance expenses.

My only real complaint is paying $3 per ride on the streak starts to add up quickly, but I realize its a fair price considering the overhead.

Conneaut did VERY well during the Ghost Lake event and rightly so, I've been to countless haunted attractions in this and years past at Cedar Point and Geauga Lake's Haunt, Lake, Cuyahoga, Summit County fairgrounds, Haunted Schoolhouse and Lab etc... I can easily say without bias that Ghost Lake was the best I've ever been to and I didn't mind waiting in line at all and there was plenty of lines everytime I went.

Conneaut is the perfect place that if they had good funding, could possibly be one of the craziest haunts in the world. The place has it's own daytime creepy vibe to it already with the burned down buildings, SBNO rides and creepy clowns - even weirder at night.

The fact that they can use old abondoned houses on the perimeter of the park also got me thinking that they could really go full tilt with craziness if they had a bit more funding. I actually woke up early this morning thinking about how cool this place would be to transform it into one of the most over the top haunts in the world.

'Blair Witch' & 'Wrong Turn' type houses with local hires ("hillbillies" as the guy above posted) roaming the areas in & around the abandoned houses f&%king with people as well as the already creepy areas of the park would scare the crap out of most people. Utilize the areas around the burned out buildings, creepy looking clowns and abandoned arcades and you wouldn't need Universal style props...use what is already at your disposal.

I wish I had an endless income...I would love to transform that park into one of the craziest, scariest, weirdest park experiences in the world. I don't think it would really take THAT much money to do with the park in it's current state - they're already doing a pretty good job with what they have. It's one of the better haunts I have been too, but it could really be one of the best with more backing.

Coke Refresh perhaps???

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like they rolled over for the Pepsi challenge again.

I have much time on my hands with traffic on my commute to work each day and have an idea. This may not be the best idea for this park and may be straight out dumb. I however grew up in the area and can see this as a possible solution. I however would have no idea on how to even start the proposal and have no interest in doing so. I after-all am not Kat and Kiwi.

PA does not have an official State Fair. This is a prime location for a one month fair in the summer. How about demo all of the old structures and create a fair ground. Keep the Blue Streak and Devils Den that can be open during the fair. Have a one month long state fair with one of the larger carnival providers for the area.

The location would be prime for this and if the fair ground catches on, then other events can have the Blue Steak operate during that time. I think it would catch on if executed and marketed properly.

The Big Butler Fair is a huge success and just a little South from that. It is just two weeks that covers the 4th of July. I know the Arizona State fair is about a month and packed during that time. Why would PA fail at doing this if properly executed?

• 3 weeks later...

Bringing the topic back as the park is opening for the season this weekend. I am overjoyed to note that this seasons pricing structure includes options for unlimited blue streak rides.

http://www.conneautlakepark.com/hours.html

A tad steep at first glance but $3 a ride really was adding up during ghost lake. I'll be getting my moneys worth and then some.

A tad steep is right. I'm all for supporting CLP and visiting a time or two this summer, but really? $92.40 for a season pass when they're only open 3-4 days a week? How many people do they expect to actually buy one? I know I wouldn't want to invest that much money in a park that could easily just close down on a whim. Heck for that money I'd just buy one to Kennywood for $89.99. And who knows how many rides are going to consistently operate on a regular basis, besides Blue Streak and Devil's Den. My guess is not that many. In my opinion something around $50 max would be more reasonable.

Edited by FeelTheFORCE

Wow...$92 is definitely steep for a park like Conneaut. I agree in that I wouldn't think they'll get too many takers for that price when season pass is $70 @ Waldameer?

Edit - $30 is also way too much for that park for an all day ride pass...especially when Waldameers is around $22 for the water park & of course, RF2!

And Splash City opening soon? Those slides looked like they had seen better days...but then again, don't all the other rides?

According to the CLP website, they have 2 new rides this year: A 3-lane Giant Slide (portable I suspect) and a Jitterbug Swing Ride—both being built near the parks office. No clue if they are going to put back up the little 12-tub Eli Wheel they had a few years ago, now that the Skydiver is gone (or so I heard)

Also to note. Clemeton Lake is around $35 for an all day pass, though you do get the waterpark, but they only have a dozen or so mechanical rides.

Yea, the prices are seemingly out of proportion to the market, but I'm willing to pay especially for the blue streak. I'm pretty sure I spent at minimum the cost of a season pass last year during ghost lake on blue streak tickets alone. I know that its worth the extra coin to keep this place going. I'll just not eat a couple meals at cedar point to defray the cost of my season pass.

I hadn't noticed the new rides so thanks for pointing that out, Hopefully soon the Ultimate Trip will make a comeback as well. Don't forget this park also has the only original tumble bug in operation (KW doesn't count) and the only "Beetle Bailey The Ride" that I've ever seen!

On another note, who's going this weekend? I'll be there monday unless I can sneak out of work before then.

^ You're very dedicated to pay that for a season pass, but I'm not sure how the local market and (most) enthusiasts in the area will react when area parks like Waldameer, Fantasy Island and even Kennywood ALL have lower season pass prices & MUCH better quality amusements. To me, they're just going to price themselves right out of business, which will be sad to watch.

Yeah, there are other parks in the country that charge more and may have even less than CLP, but we're talking North Western PA where the average annual salary is probably close to $42,000 (if that). Not many people around this area are going to shell out that kind of money for a run-down amusement park.

To me, this isn't good business practice to price yourself higher than your local competition when you know you are inferior to all of them in terms of everything from quality of rides and attractions to overall aesthetics.

$40-50 seems to me like it would be a perfect price for locals and area enthusiasts, plus throw in specific daily rates, events and ride specials. I would definitely consider it for around that price, but $92??? That's just INSANE!

• 2 weeks later...

This just in from CLP:

We're in 8th place for a national historic preservation grant. We need to finish June in the top 3 for $$. It's one vote, one time (not like the Pepsi daily voting). CLP has made major strides and continues to do so. We've added two new rides, the Putt-Putt course has been resurfaced and will open today or tomorrow. Work has begun on the gift shop and Midway area, the boardwalk is over halfway redone with new, personalized boards. The Dockside is being renovated. Careful maintenance and attention is being given to our existing rides, and last but not least.....the Blue Streak will get a whole season!! Please share this voting info with everyone you can, to spread the word and help us continue to preserve this very special place. thanks, Lisa

http://www.preservationnation.org/take-action/this-place-matters/community-challenge/places/conneaut-lake-institute-inc.html

These are the "new" rides

Fun Slide:

Jitterbug Swings:

I believe these are from Swank's Steel City Shows who seem to have partnered up with CLP once the Lisko's left town. The Roll-O-Plane is being retired as well based on a sign posted at the ride's entrance. The Train and Bug were also undergoing maintenance.