TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

A few questions about CALI!

martinb

Howdy!

Now its been a long long while since I posted on here, so absolutely no one will remember me.

But if its not too much to ask for, I'd like some help about my forthcoming trip to California!

My travel agents told me I wont be able to hire, though I hear different things coming form Elissa's mouth/fingers, as I've heard this subject has been discussed on here already, oh I'm 24 by the way.

I do have more questions, but I'll just leave this one as it is for the moment!

Thank you very much in advance guys!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You won't be able to hire...what? You didn't say, but I'm assuming you're talking about renting a car to get around. In my own experience, I rented my first car when I was 21 without any problems, but at that time, the only concern was whether I would be strong enough to use the hand crank to start the engine...

To be serious, you can check websites for Enterprise, Hertz, Avis, etc. pretty easily. In most cases, age 25 is the magic number, but it can vary by area, too.

Eric

Yeah, erm, sossy about that, I ment hire a car

I only asked as I've heard that you have to be 25 to hire a car in the states, well thats what the travel agents said, yet I've also heard that California is the only state in America where you can hire a car if your over 21..?

^You need a new travel agent.

First off there are different laws in every state. Some allow renting at 18 with a higher fee, some at 21 with a higher fee, some don't allow charging an extra fee, etc.

Like others have said, go to a car rental website, and click the under 25 button and all will be explained. A lot of places will hire to you (Enterprise comes to mind) but you will be charged a higher price.

I personally rented a car in California when I was 21 so obviously it's possible!

I would assume the laws in Nevada would be the same as California regarding car rental, but why would it matter since you're renting the car in California right?

As for SFMM to Disney, it's about 65 miles and will take anywhere from 1 - 2 hours depending on traffic.

^ Yep. When you're in town, tune to KNX 1070 (AM). They do traffic reports "on the 5s" (10:05, 10:15, 10:25, etc.). Listen for the magic word, "SigAlert." (Google that and learn a lot more than I could tell you.)

Our freeways can be notorious for traffic. We've taken trips to Knott's from Camarillo where I live, a mere 75 miles away---and it's taken over three hours each way!

Around here, "rush hour" lasts all day.

Eric

When I worked at DLR, I used to commute from the SFMM area down to DLR 5 days a week so I'm an expert when it comes to So Cal freeways.

You didn't specify or list any type of itinerary for your trip so I'll break the typical traffic down by the day. All of my suggestions are assuming that there are no accidents.

Sunday: Best day to make the drive between SFMM and DLR. Usually no traffic on the 5 in both directions all day long.

Monday: Morning traffic is moderate. Freeways are light until night rush hour, and then it's moderate traffic until 7 PM.

Tuesday: Same as monday.

Wednesday: Same as monday, sometimes a little busier.

Thursdays: For some reason, Thursdays are the worst day to drive during morning rush hour. On several occasions its taken me over 2 hours to get from SFMM to DLR. Evening rush hour can be pretty heavy too.

Friday: AVOID FRIDAY IF POSSIBLE. The only times you will not be stuck in traffic is from around 10 AM-1 PM. After that, you're screwed until at least 9 PM.

Saturday: Saturdays can be unpredictable. I think it depends on the time of year.

So Cal is a maze of freeways. Instead of taking the 5 all the way dowm, you have many options if the 5 sucks. Here are some alternative routes:

Traffic in downtown LA: 5 south -> 110 south -> 91 east -> 5 south

Traffic in East LA interchange: 5 south -> 10 east -> 710 south -> 91 east - 5 south (my favorite route)

Traffic in Norwalk: 5 south -> 605 south -> 91 east -> 5 south

If you don't mind driving an extra 20-25 miles and its not a Friday: 5 south -> 210 east -> 57 south -> exit at Ball Rd.

And... NEVER TAKE THE 405!

Hope this helps!

I'm not sure I'd EVER suggest the 110 through Downtown as an alternative to traffic on I-5. That's cutting off your nose to spite your face more often than not. Plus the distance between 110 to 10 is really really short. Takes 5-10 minutes at most, even in heavy traffic, thanks to the little Broadway bypass ramp. Just stay to the right!

Traffic in East LA interchange: 5 south -> 10 east -> 710 south -> 91 east - 5 south (my favorite route)

Traffic in Norwalk: 5 south -> 605 south -> 91 east -> 5 south

These two can be combined into 5 south -> 10 east -> 710 south -> 5 south -> 605 south -> 91 east -> 5 south.

That's the route I find myself taking the most often when going down to Disneyland from 5 minutes away from SFMM!

Martin,

Having driven quite a bit in the UK (combined total about 2 years) and having driven in So Cal for 23 years and knowing how the interstate/motorway systems differ from the two countries my reccomendation would just be to ignore the confusing directions above and just stick to the 59 mile straight shot down I-5 from SFMM to Disneyland.

When you have a straight route all the way from one park to the other, and you're talking to someone not just from out of town but from OUT OF THE COUNTRY, it's far easier to deal with traffic than it is to deal with a confusing motorway system. Make one wrong turn or take the wrong junction and you'll end up spending more time getting back on track than if you hit traffic.

When people in California still get lost I would never, EVER suggest someone from out of state, let alone out of the country attempt any of those directions you guys have offered.

You may run into traffic yes, so allow enough time (I'd say no less than 2 hours), but this is the route, and the ONLY route I think you should attempt:

Directions from Magic Mountain to Disneyland

Unless you consider yourself an "expert" on the So Cal freeway system, do not attempt any other way.

--Robb "Trust this advice..." Alvey

Sunday: Best day to make the drive between SFMM and DLR. Usually no traffic on the 5 in both directions all day long.

What 5 freeway are you driving on??? The only time I've noticed no traffic on the 5 consistently is EARLY Sunday morning (before 9:00am). Anything after that and you will most likely hit some traffic. (Unless your on the road from 10:00pm to 4:00am.)

As for which way to go, I have to agree with Robb. If you don't know the area or the freeway system, your best bet is to just deal with the traffic if it happens. Give yourself AT LEAST 2 hours. If your early, great. Get some brekfast at Denny's before the park opens.

I'd always rather be early than late.

Thanks for all your help, especially Robb!

I was hoping to get a hire car with Sat Nav built in if they do that in the USA?

I have heard about the bad traffic in LA, and as SFMM is only open weekends when I go in September, I guess it wold be best to go there on the Sunday, and I presume Sunday is alot quiter in the park compared to Saturdays?

How busy roughly will SFMM be in September?

Martin, with GPS (sat nav), your best luck would be with Hertz. they also have Sirius Sat. Radio as well, so you dont have to listen to all the boring American "free" radio...

Robb, with SFMM, Mid-Sept. is usually the time the thugs from LA Unified go back to school right??

Everytime I go to the states now, I take a "Dollar" rental.

Always have made good experiences with that company, their fleet is very young and very good maintained, the customer-service is friendly (at least at the airport offices of MIA, JFK, LAX and LAS) and they have that Young and Easy deal where you can rent with 21 years with all insurances needed and without any restrictions of leaving a state. And:They have the cheapest one-way rental fares.

Best for you when you book your rental from Europe, it´s a way much cheaper than booking it directly in the US.

^ Going to a different state is something you need to discuss with the office where you rent the car. I can't say it's not allowed, but it is best that the renting office knows. It's up to their policy whether you can drive the car to another state.

Eric

• 1 month later...
Martin, with GPS (sat nav), your best luck would be with Hertz.

This is a little off the subject - but I'm coming to SoCal in June and hired myself a compact car from Budget (via a UK website) at LAX. I did the same in New York State in May 2007. At that time I had the option of hiring a Sat Nav for $10 a day which I took up. Looking at the Budget.com website this option is no longer availble. Does that mean all Budget's cars have Sat Nav built in or is it a case of bring you own (Sat Nav/road map)? any thoughts from the locals?

PS we've driving to LA, Las Vegas, Kings Canyon National Park and San Fran.

Thanks