TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cowabunga Bay waterpark

I love the little KidTums area!!!

Can't wait to see it all with water soon!

Can you share any of the planning and permit process with us? I know that's much more boring then pretty slides, but I'd love to understand the entire process of doing something like this.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks great so far, I couldn't believe how impressive it looks from the freeway as I drove by it yesterday.

I have one question/comment. One some of the side railings the gap between the vertical slats (holding the railing) seem to be quite a big gap. I see that and kind of worry with kids going up and down the stairs and possibly pushing smaller children. I've haven't been to many other water parks but is that how a lot of other play structures are? Just curious.

Wait, why hang FIVE, I thought the saying was hang 10?

They are both surfer terms. Hang Five means to hang five of your toes over the nose of the board. Obviously Hang ten means all ten toes over the nose of the board.

Oh thanks for explaining.

Anyways, this thing looks AMAZING! And I can't wait to see the giant bucket splash, it looks REALLY amazing. And I like how you tucked away the slide for later, but one question, if you have it, why not just install it? Unless you want to attract more people next season with a BRAND NEW SLIDE!

Looks great so far, I couldn't believe how impressive it looks from the freeway as I drove by it yesterday.

I have one question/comment. One some of the side railings the gap between the vertical slats (holding the railing) seem to be quite a big gap. I see that and kind of worry with kids going up and down the stairs and possibly pushing smaller children. I've haven't been to many other water parks but is that how a lot of other play structures are? Just curious.

There still is a lot of work going on and obviously those bridges are not complete. There is netting and a pretty heavy duty banner that fills in all those gaps.

Can you share any of the planning and permit process with us? I know that's much more boring then pretty slides, but I'd love to understand the entire process of doing something like this.

I too would be interested in that Shane. Had you even thought of building this when we were on the Japan trip?

I too would be interested in that Shane. Had you even thought of building this when we were on the Japan trip?

One thing that is directly from the Japan trip is the hand dryers in the change rooms. I searched hi and low to find those high powered things and I am glad to say they will be in the restrooms.

I came up with this idea after I visited Hersheypark in 2007. When I get some time I will detail what the process was, it is a good story.

Well here is the MONEY SHOT! Today we did our equivelent to a coaster's first run. We dumped the bucket. It took two hours to fill with a garden hose and the spalsh it made was AWESOME! The pictures are only about 3/4's of the total splash as we are still doing adjustments.

COWABUNGA!

3_360x480.JPG.e461640c9384d93a8c7b5fabd8096769.JPG

765237231_2(2)_360x480.JPG.28615e5717a27def55f559e9b707597c.JPG

DSC00041_360x480.JPG.b7bbddd51b3be797175e4371d5826eaf.JPG

DSC00040_360x480.JPG.9a26b0f3254912e618ab1bf30ff3b179.JPG

GO, GO, GO!

DSC00039_360x480.JPG.543bc7eef351bafec2408c3673395a89.JPG

three to get ready....

DSC00038_360x480.JPG.450fea017168078eae6f19e40e700fbc.JPG

two for the show...

DSC00037_360x480.JPG.5428099f3bc6e02ead0169e97a0d84da.JPG

one for the money...

I am picking just the right time to move into the area! My kids are jazzed about the proximity of Cowabunga... especially since our last few weeks here in Sacramento promise to be hella hot: 101 for this Sunday! *blech* Can't wait for Taylorsville!

Looks incredible! I'm in Mesquite, NV so thats a cool 3-4 hour trip but I've never seen the great salt lake before and your work looks phenomenal! The only catch is getting the little sisters and cousins out for a summer trip. Plus I would mind getting some credits at Lagoon.

Wow. I just realized this was your doing, Shane. My retardation aside, awesome! I know its a good portion of everyone here's dream to make some form of amusement park (I constantly play around with backyard coaster ideas, but none have come to fruition), but you? You went ahead and created your own waterpark! Definately a great achievement, and if I'm ever in the area, I'd be glad to pay it a visit..

I'd especially like to hear about how you managed to finance a project like this...and in this economy!

Seriously, this is so awesome. Congratulations and though I will probably never get to visit, it makes me proud that one of us actually "made it." Just promise me that when you add the mat racer, you make the finish line paint on it black and white checkers. It annoys me to no end that most racers I've been on/seen do the checkers but do not switch the color to black & white. I know it can be done.

One thing that is directly from the Japan trip is the hand dryers in the change rooms. I searched hi and low to find those high powered things and I am glad to say they will be in the restrooms.

lol That is awesome!

Congratulations on a great looking park!

My thought on the season pass pricing is that you may want to start a little lower for the first 500 passes (or some other number). This could encourage people to buy it sooner instead of waiting. It could also help gauge demand. Most parks also get to charge passholders for parking so I think your season price is fair.

Another idea is to limit the hours that the season pass is honored and then make it unlimited if the restriction is no longer needed.

Building the park at a mall is a great idea. It seems like a great mutually beneficial arrangement. Most malls are built to handle Christmas season parking during which the park will be closed.

The final touches are being put on the structure and I got pictures today of the two top crowning pieces. Instead of the airplane that Hersheypark has, we will have a surfer Woody & a surfing Cow (get it, COWabunga)

21072894_woodycleared(1)_800x600.JPG.b0985bf88be50bd4073621f8f8b58288.JPG

My what a BIG Woody you have!

564811197_cow(2)_450x600.JPG.b5e2360f1cbea53b09b226bd2b6c963b.JPG

COW-a-bunga