TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cowabunga Bay waterpark

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome job Shane. I remember you checking out all the shade structures in Dubai. I see why now!

Kudos for adding Dole Whip!

I love taking trips with TPR and being able to write them off as business expenses. There is something to learn from every park I go to.

Awesome job Shane. I remember you checking out all the shade structures in Dubai. I see why now!

I love taking trips with TPR and being able to write them off as business expenses. There is something to learn from every park I go to.

Can I be you? Like, for a week?

Can I be you? Like, for a week?

You might want to ask Miles or Robb and Elissa what it is like to be with me for a week. It is not all peaches and roses...lol

• 3 weeks later...

Huge Day today for Cowabunga Bay. First, we celebrated our 3 year Birthday. Yes, just 3 years ago we opened our little park with the World's Biggest Water Play Structure.

Second, we opened our new for 2012 "Cowabunga Kid's Cove" today. You know it is a hit when the parents have to drag their screaming children out because the park is closed.

And third, two weeks ago I found out that the city we are located in was going to build a $29,000,000 Rec Center which included every attraction that we had; lazy river, water slides and kids play area. Yes, essentially my tax dollars were going to build a water park that was going to compete against me. So I fought City Hall...and Hell to the Yes...I WON! Today that Mayor of Draper announced they are withdrawing their plans to build the Rec Center.

http://www.kutv.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_1021.shtml

http://fox13now.com/2012/06/12/draper-city-leaders-to-discuss-alternatives-to-building-rec-center/

Here are some highlights beginning with this unique POV of a bucket dump.

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=Cowabunga_Bay_Bucket_POV_2r8j[/coastertube]

991830598_photocopy3.JPG.0cb39053eeeb2180d2b258ffc0dd8b8d.JPG

A rainbow just as we opened our new attraction

1695292382_photocopy5.JPG.12d3c70fec09ca834d0669679da180fe.JPG

768009042_photocopy7.JPG.323c90251334562c8aeae5c881e3e57a.JPG

183897182_photocopy10.JPG.078ba25d12c7c051c81d6ac92d828aa0.JPG

1314459747_photocopy.JPG.f2120b25dc04e8c0bde7c30e90927ca9.JPG

Our new water slide "The Squiggler"

I went to this park yesterday for the first time and then came home curious to learn more about it. I'm also a business owner in Draper so I was looking for a little more information on the history and owners of the park. A little googling led me to this awesome thread (and about an hour of wasted time going through all of it!)

We took our 2 1/2 year old son and were just so amazed with the place. I didn't think there would be much for a 2 1/2 year old to do at a water park but he pretty much had the time of his life, possibly literally. We went in the evening and the shade combined with a nice breeze left it a little chilly - he was shaking from cold at one point but we still couldn't tear him off of the rain fortress! He walked around all day today saying "Cowabunga Bay, Cowabunga Bay, Cowabunga Bay".

Great work Shane!

This is what I posted last year after our first trip to Cowabunga Bay. We had the day off work today so we took our son (now 3 1/2) to Cowabunga Bay. How could we not? Everyday we drive down I-15 and pass 12300 South he says "I wanna go Cowabunga Bay". Everyday. Rain, shine, sleet, snow... He always wants to go to Cowabunga Bay.

Apparently reaching 3 1/2 has his brain thinking more logically, because he decided today to be mostly afraid of the Rainfortress where last year he ripped down everything he could get on. But, he LOVED the Kids Cove! The purple slide there is absolutely perfect for him and we probably rode it 30 times. The only way we could get him out of that area to leave was to literally bribe him.

I must say, Shane, that I feel sorry for your lifeguards in that area. They seemed to need to spend most of their time babysitting for lazy parents. What kind of parents leave a 2-year old unattended in a swimming pool?

Also, nice work on fighting the recreation center. We were going to register to vote just to vote against it. As Draper residents we thought it was a bit ridiculous.

While I can see the city's point that a new rec center with a pool for lap swimming, and I presume swim meets, could be a good thing, the lazy river and water-play area would be "luxuries"--not necessary.

I went to this park yesterday for the first time and then came home curious to learn more about it. I'm also a business owner in Draper so I was looking for a little more information on the history and owners of the park. A little googling led me to this awesome thread (and about an hour of wasted time going through all of it!)

We took our 2 1/2 year old son and were just so amazed with the place. I didn't think there would be much for a 2 1/2 year old to do at a water park but he pretty much had the time of his life, possibly literally. We went in the evening and the shade combined with a nice breeze left it a little chilly - he was shaking from cold at one point but we still couldn't tear him off of the rain fortress! He walked around all day today saying "Cowabunga Bay, Cowabunga Bay, Cowabunga Bay".

Great work Shane!

This is what I posted last year after our first trip to Cowabunga Bay. We had the day off work today so we took our son (now 3 1/2) to Cowabunga Bay. How could we not? Everyday we drive down I-15 and pass 12300 South he says "I wanna go Cowabunga Bay". Everyday. Rain, shine, sleet, snow... He always wants to go to Cowabunga Bay.

Apparently reaching 3 1/2 has his brain thinking more logically, because he decided today to be mostly afraid of the Rainfortress where last year he ripped down everything he could get on. But, he LOVED the Kids Cove! The purple slide there is absolutely perfect for him and we probably rode it 30 times. The only way we could get him out of that area to leave was to literally bribe him.

I must say, Shane, that I feel sorry for your lifeguards in that area. They seemed to need to spend most of their time babysitting for lazy parents. What kind of parents leave a 2-year old unattended in a swimming pool?

Also, nice work on fighting the recreation center. We were going to register to vote just to vote against it. As Draper residents we thought it was a bit ridiculous.

This warms my heart!!! Thanks for this post and please, next time you are at the park stop by our guest service office and ask for me, I would like to meet you!

-Shane

• 4 weeks later...
Funny you guys should mention Tennessee...it has always peaked my interest and before we settled on Salt Lake being our test market I had seriously considered several sites in Nashville & Memphis. I think it is a GREAT market that is under served.

Memphis Children's Museum announced an 8,000 square ft. water play area just the other day. I'm sure you did your research on Adventure River.

Chattanooga seems to be a good location, have you studied Northwest Arkansas? Home of Walmart, Tyson foods, J.B. Hunt trucking. Two areas that would stand out is around the newer DoubleA ballpark with lots of open land in Springdale and land adjacent to I-540 in Lowell, centrally located between Benton and Washington Counties. The area has withstood the economy rather well all things considered. Fayetteville and this region consistantly makes ten best lists of business publications.