TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

PETA uses KKK imagery at dog show protest

holidayworld08

From The Associated Press-

NEW YORK (AP) - "Is this really the KKK?" somebody asked the woman in the white robe and the pointy hat.

Crowds gawked at a table set up outside Madison Square Garden on Monday afternoon, where People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals was protesting the start of the Westminster Kennel Club show. PETA contends that the American Kennel Club promotes pure-breeding of dogs that is harmful to their health.

"Welcome AKC Members," read a banner hanging from the table — with AKC crossed out and KKK written above it. Two PETA protesters dressed as Ku Klux Klan members, while other volunteers handed out brochures that read: "The KKK and the AKC: BFF?"

"Obviously it's an uncomfortable comparison," PETA spokesman Michael McGraw said.

But the AKC is trying to create a "master race," he added. "It's a very apt comparison."

David Frei, spokesman for Westminster and TV host of coverage on USA Network, said: "I can't speak for everyone, but the vast majority of the people exhibiting and handling and showing at Westminster are more interested in the health of dogs than anything else."

"We want to produce the next generation of healthy and happy dogs," he said, "not just for the show ring but for the couches at home."

Most passers-by seemed more puzzled than offended, though those who didn't stop walked away thinking they really had seen the KKK. The most common reaction was to pull out a cell phone and start snapping photos.

Police monitored the situation from nearby, but the scene was mostly calm. One shouting match broke out during the hour-long protest.

Earlier, a man strode away yelling, "That's disgusting! I'm going to buy more fur!"

Fatima Walden, who spotted the protest during a shopping trip, called the KKK imagery inappropriate no matter what the message.

"They could have used something else as an example," she said. "You should be considerate to everybody."

Despicable. I don't support PETA in any way! I wonder what would happen if they drove through Harlem? Although I take it back, I do support PETA- People For The Eating Of Tasty Animals! Yum!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy hell! Why can't people stop posting PETA stuff? By posting it, you are just giving them the press that they WANT. That is their only intention when doing something like this. They probably don't believe it in any way, they just want press from it.

It's like we should have a PETA mega thread or something.

^I agree.

I cringe whenever I read something from PETA...I don't understand why they have to be so freaking stupid about things. It makes others that care for animals/vegetarians all seem like a bunch of nut jobs.

Seriously, what have these people done other then put out posters on subways?

On another note, I did a report on PETA in college and contacted them regarding some of my findings, in particular, some of there sponsors do laboratory testing on animals and they never returned my calls. Jerks.

^I agree.

I cringe whenever I read something from PETA...I don't understand why they have to be so freaking stupid about things. It makes others that care for animals/vegetarians all seem like a bunch of nut jobs.

I have to agree with that. Ingrid Newkirk thinks that any press is good press. No matter how much people try to tell her the opposite, she just rolls her eyes. "At least it gets people talking about the subject." Um, no it doesn't. It gets people talking about how much they hate your organization.

Seriously, what have these people done other then put out posters on subways?

Actually, they have done a large amount of things that aren't widely publicized. The only things that the press cares about is when they do something completely off the wall. Just this past week, thanks to an undercover PETA investigation of a pig slaughtering factory, a few men will actually be tried in court for the mistreatment of pigs before their slaughter. That is groundbreaking, as no judge has ever tried a case like that before. And if the man do happen to get charged for this, it will be great precedent for future cases, and could eventually greatly alter humane standards forever.

Also, I am a big fan of a lot of PETA's literature. I have been known to drop off various pamphlets and magazines to people. I actually have boxes of their stuff in my closet. I think information is a very effective way of getting people aware of things, not crazy stunts.

On another note, I did a report on PETA in college and contacted them regarding some of my findings, in particular, some of there sponsors do laboratory testing on animals and they never returned my calls. Jerks.

Actually, that is a pretty big load of garbage. They in no way test on or harm animals in any laboratory. Why would they do that when that is something they are trying to stop? Total myth.

And calling about something like that is like me calling up, or emailing B&M because I'm doing a school project on their roller coasters. Chances are, you won't get a response. Or, maybe you just tried to contact the wrong person? Or, they didn't give you a call back because you weren't important enough, like say, the NBC news or something. I'm not trying to justify. Either way, I'm sure it would have been hard for you to get answers about something like that.

Actually, that is a pretty big load of garbage. They in no way test on or harm animals in any laboratory. Why would they do that when that is something they are trying to stop? Total myth.

And calling about something like that is like me calling up, or emailing B&M because I'm doing a school project on their roller coasters. Chances are, you won't get a response. Or, maybe you just tried to contact the wrong person? Or, they didn't give you a call back because you weren't important enough, like say, the NBC news or something. I'm not trying to justify. Either way, I'm sure it would have been hard for you to get answers about something like that.

Do a little more research and you will find that the FINAL products aren't tested, the raw materials are (which to me, its the same thing). Outside of Paul Mitchell, The Body Shop, and Kiss My Face...most cosmetic products in the US are tested.

This was quite a few years ago that I did the paper...and PETA was the only organization that didn't return calls/e-mails. I was surprised throughout my college career of how many companies return phone calls/e-mails when the requests are properly written.

^^ I'm sorry, I completely misread your first post. I was going off about how some people think there is this secret laboratory that PETA has where they torture animals and the like. I have to agree with you that some of their sponsors do have some kind of animal testing at some phase in the production. Do I completely agree with it? No. But that at least means there is progress. Also, some of the celebrities that endorse PETA aren't complete vegans or anything of that nature. Simon from American Idol can be seen chowing down on a steak every day, but he still does adds for them for spay and neuter. Carrie Underwood does things for them about going vegetarian, and then shows up on a red carpet with leather boots. Pamela Anderson..... well she is an idiot. But aside from that, celebrities have very strong stands on certain issues, but not in the whole animals rights movement. Which brings me back to those products that you speak of. It is at least progress that at some point an animal isn't harmed in the chain of production.

^ gisco - I know. You have posted that kind of crap before.

^Its cool Herc...I've never heard of such a theory...but then again...people come up with some wacky stuff.

The Coalition for Consumer Information on Cosmetics is a great organization to see what companies a person can support if they want products that don't test final or raw materials on animals:

http://www.leapingbunny.org/indexcus.php

I believe they have been doing this demo for a while (a year or so maybe?) I had a former PETA employee over at my apartment one night, and he was talking about how this was in the works a couple of years ago. They actually wanted to send him and a few others that were getting ready to kick off the campaign into the deep south. I'm not sure if they went through with that idea or not, as I'm sure it was a serious liability considering the African American population in some southern regions. They also wanted to set this up at various rap tours..... once again, see above.

Actually, P&T's central point in that episode, that PETA's opposition to medical research is hypocritical and stupid, is a pretty good one. While I personally wouldn't want to be involved in carrying out animal studies, they are a very necessary part of research.

I remember a comedian once saying, "I love animals too, but if something stupid like hooking a monkey up to a car battery is gonna help cure cancer, I've got one thing to say: the red is positive and the black is negative."

I'm generally in agreement here. I guess deep down I'm always going to be on the fence when it comes to this issue since I'm an animal lover. However, realistically I do understand the medical gains some of the scientific studies on certain smaller animals have yielded. It's a tough subject any way you slice it.

And with that said, I'd love to see "lifers" in prison used as test subjects. Yes, I know it's never gonna happen, but one can dream, right?

Also, as a whole, PETA does some excellent work.....when they're not busy constructing absurd advertising ideas to come across as jacka$$es.

Typical PETA response. If you can't argue the point, start name calling. They only want to believe the facts that support their point and forget the ones that don't. The group is a bunch of hypocrites.

Sure animals should be treated humanly but they are just animals. Please pass the A-1, my steak is a little dry.

Typical PETA response. If you can't argue the point, start name calling. They only want to believe the facts that support their point and forget the ones that don't. The group is a bunch of hypocrites.

Sure animals should be treated humanly but they are just animals. Please pass the A-1, my steak is a little dry.

Please note:

I am not a member of PETA

I am not an employee of PETA

I only support their cause, not the way the organization is run

I did not call you a name

Thank you

I like PETA articles. They are always good for a laugh.

i totally liked the story about PETA stepping on baby chicks, killing them, to save wombat held captive in a backyard doghouse. The Wombat, they quickly discovered, was not being held captive but actually flew in there of it's own will and made a little house for itself.

PETA removed it all the same, stating: IT';S A LIVING THING! IT DESERVES BETTER THAN A DOGHOUSE.

When asked what a dog deserves, they replied: NO COMMENT.

I like PETA articles. They are always good for a laugh.

i totally liked the story about PETA stepping on baby chicks, killing them, to save wombat held captive in a backyard doghouse. The Wombat, they quickly discovered, was not being held captive but actually flew in there of it's own will and made a little house for itself.

PETA removed it all the same, stating: IT';S A LIVING THING! IT DESERVES BETTER THAN A DOGHOUSE.

When asked what a dog deserves, they replied: NO COMMENT.

Jeez, must have an impressive wingspan then?

wombat.jpg.ea467d2a2adb30bcefb9a7bd1d4860c2.jpg

Wombat - eats roots shoots and leaves

What's next, PETA, an ad featuring 9/11 imagery? Idiots...

They compared the conditions that chickens have to face when they're being raised for food to the Holocaust, so I wouldn't be surprised if 9/11 somehow gets into a future ad campaign.

Overall, the intentions of PETA are good, but the way they try to convince people to join their side is a complete joke. The fact that they throw blood (that probably came from the animals that they are trying to protect) on people and the fact that they try to convince people to go vegetarian in order to "protect" the animals makes them a terrorist organization IMO.

They also fail to realize that plants surprisingly can feel pain as well as animals can. They just cannot express it because they're plants.

So basically PETA is a terrorist organization that secretly kills animals and wants to do harm to plants for their own benefit.

Off topic lol but, when I was in the 11th grade/2003, I contacted B&M by email because I did my graduation project on their coasters. They sent me a letter thanking me for being interested and a fan of their work...(which I still have and have to find), a set of their coaster brochures and a few pictures of Talon, Top-Gun, Oblivion & Nitro.

Back on topic, PETA will do whatever it takes to make people listen...I've seen them set-up shop downtown and once while I was eating a burger outside, a girl from PETA walked over to me and said you dropped something. I looked down and she said, you've dropped your dignity for eating an animal...I couldn't even comment, just kept eating.

I respect your opinion. This is more of my opinion on the matter. http://bizarrocomic.blogspot.com/2009/02/chicken-mythology.html

And did you know that A-1 is actually vegan?

So basically PETA is a terrorist organization

They are a terrorist organization? How so? There are other organizations out there that do "terrorist" type things, but how does PETA do anything like that? I don't see them going into medical labs and beating down on company computers like other organizations do.

Back on topic, PETA will do whatever it takes to make people listen...I've seen them set-up shop downtown and once while I was eating a burger outside, a girl from PETA walked over to me and said you dropped something. I looked down and she said, you've dropped your dignity for eating an animal...I couldn't even comment, just kept eating.

I don't doubt that maybe this was a group of PETA people. However, I just want to make the point that there are a lot more animal rights organizations out there, and the only reason people think that it is always PETA is because they are the most recognizable. PETA employees tend to be the most respectful of them all. Some other groups, and other independent animals rights activists (possibly with PETA literature) tend to be pretty big wackos and give sane and professional activists a bad name. I am certainly not a member or employee of PETA, but people always think that I have something to do with them just because I'm a vegan and have a knowledge of animal cruelty.

Because I'm trying to make the focus on the real issues (animals, PETA not being a terrorist organization, etc.). I don't mind that PETA is getting publicity. Are they getting the wrong publicity? Yes, because people just think they are crazy bastards. I just state that by posting news stories about PETA, it is doing exactly what they want people to be doing, and that is talking about animals rights. I think that the people that are posting about PETA hate PETA, but in retrospect, they are doing exactly what PETA wants them to do.

They are a terrorist organization? How so? There are other organizations out there that do "terrorist" type things, but how does PETA do anything like that? I don't see them going into medical labs and beating down on company computers like other organizations do.

I always thought going into medical labs and beating down on company computers was PETA's number 1 priority. Not to mention PETA protesters throw blood on people that wear fur. They use scare tactics (like comparing animal cruelty to the KKK and the Holocaust) to convince people to go vegetarian/vegan.

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/

A pretty informative site on PETA's actions.

Going into medical labs and breaking computers is not the work of PETA, it is the work of ALF, the Animal Liberation Front. Once again, go back to my rant about knowing what organization it is, and not accusing PETA of any and all animal rights protests.

And there is a huge domestic animal over-population problem all over the United States. It is impossible to put every animal into a foster home, or to get them adopted. It is unfortunate, but I believe, along with PETA, that euthanization of animals is the most ethical and humane thing to do rather than let an animal live a horrible life in a cage. Not to mention, it is extremely costly to house animals and give them the best life possible, and there is just not enough manpower to do so either. Go to a local shelter and you will see 80% of the animals that go through the door put down. It is very unfortunate, but just something that has to get done. As far as putting animals down humanely, that is another story. Some states in the south still allow gas chambers to be used where hundreds of animals are hauled into a shack and gased to death. Some states still allow animals and pets to be shot with a gun. There are just some really horrible things done. If it is done with a needle, I'm fine with it. There are just so many animals out there, and if people would just spay and neuter their animals, it wouldn't be happening (by the way, PETA funds a low cost spay and neuter).