TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Stitch's Great Escape

If you haven't noticed I am a huge Stitch fan, so when I heard that Alien Encounter was going to be replaced by Stitch I was thrilled. I rode Alien Encounter when I was seven and it terrified me, so I understood why Disney was wanting to take it out. Alien Encounter just didn't fit in with Magic Kingdom, you have the family friendly rides and then sheer terror the ride. I did research on Alien Encounter recently and learned all about it's very interesting history.

I have the up most respect for all of the hard work the Imagineers put into creating the Alien Encounter, so I was pleased to find out that Stitch's Great Escape would be a toned down Alien Encounter. All of their hard work wasn't going to be destroyed, just altered to try and make it more suitable for it's audience. The audio animatronic Stitch is by far the most detailed and life like animatronic I have seen. I haven't had a chance to ride the attraction but I got to see Stitch's animatronic on Disney channel.

After Stitch's Great Escape debuted I started reading reviews on it on-line. The vast majority of guests were not pleased with the new attraction, saying it was still too scary for children and hard to follow. Guests said the show only had about thirty seconds of the Stitch animatronic, then the room was pitch black. The life like Stitch, while a cute and recognizable character, was still quite frightening to young guests. There is also a part where Stitch belches and the smell is said to make all guests nauseous.

Since it's debut Stitch's Great Escape has already had Imagineers spotted in the second show chamber working on a new ride program. Another change is the height limit was raised to keep younger guests out of the attraction that was designed for, younger guests. Disney just can't seem to get Stitch's Great Escape to be tame enough for the Magic Kingdom.

Stitch is a very popular character, with fans ranging from three years old to fifty years old. While I think Disney did a very good job creating a ride that is true to Stitch and a toned down Alien Encounter, I am not sure if the general public is able to see and respect the attraction for what it is. I think parents should take the time to find out what Stitch's Great Escape is, make sure their child knows what will happen and reassure them it is all just make believe and actually read Disney's warnings about the moderately scary attraction.

While I have not had the chance to ride Stitch's Great Escape I respect it greatly. I would like to hear what fellow TPR members think of this attraction. Thank you for reading my post on this attraction and I appreciate any feed back I receive - Stitch

stitchs_great_escape_three.jpg.43aae1b83fc56ad23edfc7e159d48f11.jpg

Stitch's Great Escape

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know...I suppose that an argument could be made that any ride at WDW should be so innocuous that it won't upset anyone at all. (Bye-bye TOT, RnRC, and forget Expedition Everest.) But after all, AE had TERROR written in big caps right in its name. Since it officially opened in June of '05, you would have had to be at least 9 years old when you experienced it, and, not to seem unsympathetic, but by nine, most kids (and their parents) know what "TERROR" means. As I recall, there were also posted warnings. I found AE to be one of the more amusing attractions at the MK, one of the half-dozen reasons for me to go to there. But then, I'm not a Lilo and Stich fan, and as neither of us has actually been to the new attraction, any discussion of its merits should wait for someone who's actually seen it.

I am not too sure what you are trying to get at in your post. When I said I was seven when I rode Alien Encounter, I was just going from my memory. I see that I was wrong, I was nine as you pointed out. There is an argument in to be had that most kids and families had no idea what to expect from Alien Encounter, yes there were some general warnings but nothing really saying how intense it was. Children, no matter what their age, wouldn't have ever experienced anything like Alien Encounter so when you say "Terror" was enough to keep people out is unjust in my eyes.

I really respect how scary Alien Encounter was and I wish I would of had another chance to ride it but I still don't think it belonged in the Magic Kingdom. The Magic Kingdom is comprised of all family friendly rides, the most intense being the mountains. Alien Encounter should of been placed in the MGM Studios in my opinion because most of Disney's thrill rides are there. You brought up that any ride at Disney must be family friendly so Tower of Terror and Rockin Roller Coaster shouldn't be there. I wasn't saying Disney shouldn't make thrilling rides, I was saying Alien Encounter shouldn't of been in Magic Kingdom.

Magic Kingdom is known as a place to go to have a happy time, not have the day lights scared out of you. Disney made Alien encounter because teens felt like there wasn't anything thrilling enough at Magic Kingdom and Disneyland. In my opinion Magic Kingdom should be left as a family park and let Disney parks meant to be thrilling have thrill rides (IE : California Adventure).

Some people may think I am trying to say "Why does everyone hate Stitch's Great Escape?" or "Alien Encounter sucked and Stitch is better.", I am not I am just asking people what their views are. Try to remember that I am only expressing my opinions, I am not saying that only they are right. I appreciate the feedback Shepp and would like to ask you to see that I am just expressing my opinions - Stitch

On a side note, I love the Stitch audio animatronic ... it's amazing!

sge2.jpg.83b141221cede4359d5130bcdff8cc8c.jpg

Stitch Animatronic

I never went on Alien Encounter but I did not like Stitch's Great Escape. It just was that interesting to me. Sit in a chair, a restraint lowers and you sit there in the dark with the audio-animatronic Stich in the center moving around. When it ended, most people were saying stuff like, "that's it?", "what was the point?" and other phrases like that. When I go back to the Magic Kingdom, it's one attraction I will definetly be skipping.

I think the idea of replacing AE with Stitch was a good one, but they didn't do a very good job of actually redoing it. Lots of the scary elements for children are still there, and each ride you nearly die of that disgusting chilli smell.

For people who haven't been able to ride AE, this is the script;

Intro

(The video begins with a triumphant song and an alien woman appears on the screen.)

Tyra: (for lack of better name) Welcome to the universe of XS. You are about to witness the latest scientific works brought to you by XS Tech, the galaxy's leader in innovative high technology. But first, let me share with you the fascinating story of our company. We began many galactic years ago on a world quite distant from your own. From one small manufacturing plant, we've grown into the largest consumer oriented research and development company in the universe. XS Tech is number one in Electro-Robotics, Cryo-Cybernetics, Techno-Surveillance, Planetary Restructuring, genetic engineering, and Hyper-spacial Transport. Here at XS, helping others seize has always been our goal. It's a tradition handed down from our founders, and carried on by our current chairman, L.C. Clench.

Clench: We were, of course, extremely enthused when our market research probe discovered the Earth. A world with so many eager customers is always worth our greatest effort.

Tyra: And for todays demonstration, thousands of skilled XS engineers have worked round the clock. We think you'll find our hard work we'll worth your while. After all....

Clench: ...if something can't be done with XS then it shouldn't be done at all. Now, I know some critics have implied that we are interested in the Earth soley for commercial reason, for profit. but I believe we have an important obligation to help less fortunate planets upgrade their technology, profit is simply a biproduct we've learned to live with. So, join with me now, won't you? And together we will seize the future with XS!

Preshow

(The video ends and you are taken to another room which faces two tubes, one empty, one with a cute alien named Skippy. Between them is a robot which for now is not on.)

Tyra: And now, for a look at living life with XS, here once again is Chairman Clench.

Clench: By now you must be wondering how XS Tech can help you seize the future. Well wonder no more. Here to show you how is our most advanced cyber-biotic performance unit to date.

SIR: (the robot comes to life)Ah, welcome weary travelers to the great big universe of XS. You may call me SIR, that is S-I-R, which stands for Simulated Intelligence Robotics. (Skippy begins speaking) What do you want Skippy!?!

Skippy: (slightly unintelligable) I wanna get out.

SIR: No you may not get out. You're our, lucky volunteer! (Skippy groans) Now dear friends, you're probably asking, 'what could the galaxy's leader in sophisticated technology possibly do for me?'. Well, how would you like to travel anywhere, anytime, at the touch of a button. Science fiction? No! Behold the XS Series 1000. The first in a complete line of personal and commercial teleportation systems. Capable of sending bright-eyed biological life forms like yourselves, and even lower life forms like Skippy, from one place to another instantly. In a moment, I will break down our fuzzy little friend into a mass of molecules, send those molecules through the air above your heads, and reconstruct them in the tube over here as good as new. And now, witness for yourselves the wonders of XS teleportation! Phase one of the process has begun; desintegration into molecular components. Don't worry, it's practically painless. (Skippy is now gone) And now the second phase; the molecules are beamed to the recieving chamber where atom by atom we reconstruct our care free traveler. (Skippy has appeared in the other tube, visibly burnt, eyes rolling around and glowing) And heres the little skipper now. Don't worry Scruffy, you're not burned, you've just got a healthy glow. (Skippy yells and shakes his fist) Skippy you....you've just reminded me of a feature that I absolutely love. With a mere touch of a button, the entire process can be reversed. Bon voyage. (Skippy disapears again) And heres my favorite, it can be suspended....indefinately(Skippy's screams soften and vanish, as if flying off). My dear friends, you've just witnessed a small sample of the awesome power of XS teleportation. But wait! There's much more. Imagine if the trip were not merely the width of this room but the breadth of a galaxy, the span of a universe. Well imagine no more. Because soon one of you will be taking that trip. One of you will seize the future with XS! Bon Voyage!

Main Show

(everyone is now taken into a large round chamber surrounding a larger version of the teleportation tube)

Announcer: XS Tech assures that every seat in this chamber provides an excellent view for the demonstration. Please select a row quickly, continue to the end of that row, and take your seat! Your compliance is expected, thank you. Attention! Our biological sensors have detected an innapropriate seating pattern. Stand and move all the way to the end of your row. And we mean NOW! Thank you. All seats to your left and right provide excellent viewing. Please select a row at once. Act quickly, and procede all the way to the end of that row. Remember, the future waits for no one, not even you. Attention earthlings, for the success of our demonstration, we insist you remain upright. Keep your arms by your side, with your feet firmly planted on the floor. XS regulations require all life forms be properly seated, or the demonstration will be terminated. Thank you for your submission.

(The screens on the wall come to life with two aliens, Spinlock and Dr. Femus, arguing.)

Dr. Femus: ...did you see how.....

Spinlock: ...no more tests, we're about to go live. We can't have any......

Dr. Femus: Our other transmissions did not cover this kind of distance. Again you are putting sales before science!

Spinlock: Exactly, someone's got to be a role model. (Femus nods to the camera) What? Ahh, people of Earth. Greetings, to each and every one of you. I am Spinlock, XS management supervisor, speaking to you live from across the galaxy, where we're all set for yet another spectacular demonstration. Dr. Femus....

Dr. Femus: Hello. Look, I don't think we should....

Spinlock: (interupts her) We should waste another moment. I couldn't agree with you more. Ready when you are Doctor.

Dr. Femus: (sarcastically)Thank you. The analysis modules above your head will now lower into place. Please remain seated in an upright position with your arms at your sides. When the modules touch your shoulders they will stop automatically. So, remain seated and do not interupt their operation. (The shoulder harnesses have now locked into place on the people.)

Spinlock: I trust you were all impressed with our earlier demonstration, in which a living creature was teleported a short distance in total comfort. Now the time has come for one of you to experience something much more remarkable. A journey through interstellar space via XS teleportation. Dr. Femus will now analyze your human physiology to determine which one of you is suitable for our demonstartion.

Dr. Femus: Data link online, analyzing now. This one might be apt, but we're gonna have to boost the IQ, there's alot of...

Spinlock: And we've got our lucky traveler to whisk across the galaxy. In just a moment, the analysis modules will rise. Please.....(Yelling is heard in the distance)

Clench: I don't care! Step aside. (mutters something) Ah, Spinlock.

Spinlock: Chairman Clench.

Clench: So, is everything on schedule?

Dr. Femus: Well to tell you the truth sir....

Spinlock: (interupts again) We're ahead of schedule!

Clench: Excellent.

Spinlock: We've just selected a volunteer.

Clench: It's off.

Dr. Femus: Oh good.

Spinlock: Off?

Clench: I've been seized.

Spinlock: Something you ate sir?

Clench: Seized with inspiration. A new idea.

Dr. Femus: (sarcastically) Oh terrific.

Clench: We're live, right?

Spinlock: Yes, very.

Clench: Hello everyone. I've recalculated our plan. You see, if, if we bring one of you here, well, I just get to meet one of you. However, if I am teleported to Earth, I can meet all of you. Shake each hand and personally answer all your questions about the wonders of XS. I'll be with you in just a moment. Prepare yourselves for an unforgetable, encounter.

Spinlock: Uh, sir, I doubt that the..uh....

Clench: Ah, Remember Spinlock, doubt is the rust of a feeble mind. The only way to seize the future is to grasp the present. Let's Go! (Clench gets in the tube)

Spinlock: Grasp the present. Yes, well, the chairman certainly has a way with words. What do you say Dr. Femus, shall we grasp?

Dr. Femus: Yah grasp, right. But first I have to totally recalibrate the ......

Clench: Come on! Seize! Grasp!

Spinlock: Okay, Doctor!

Dr. Femus: I am going as fast as I can!

Clench: Spinlock.

Spinlock: Yes sir. Dr. Femus!

Dr. Femus: WHAT!?

Clench: Spinlock!!!

Spinlock: Must I do everything!?! (Spinlock pulls a lever)

Dr. Femus: Don't! Don't! I didn't lock the trajectory! We're not .........

Spinlock: I didn't know! (Clench screams begin loud and then fade) Now what's happened?

Dr. Femus: Another planet, in our transmission path. It must have intercepted the signal.

Spinlock: What?

Dr. Femus: But wait, wait..I've got something.

Spinlock: Boost the power and send it to Earth.

Dr. Femus: Well what if it's not him?

Spinlock: Of course it's him, send him to Earth! (A large form appears in the clouded tube)Ladies and gentlemen, live and in person, Chairman Clench.

Dr. Femus: Uh, Spinlock, since when does Clench have wings?

Spinlock: Wings? ( A loud roar errupts as the smoke clears inside the tube) It's an alien!

Backround voice It's my Mother-in-Law!

Dr. Femus: Analyzing now!

Spinlock: Well, what is it?

Dr. Femus: Okay let's see. Ornitheus, carnivorous....

Spinlock: Carnivorous? It eats meat?

Dr. Femus: Exactly genius! Those people are in alot of danger. ( A pounding sound is heard)

Spinlock: Now what's happened?

Dr. Femus: The teleportation tube is starting to break!

Spinlock: But it's unbreakable! (The lights go out and the sound of shattering glass fills the room with a gust of wind) It broke the tube!

Dr. Femus: We cannot let it get out!

Spinlock: Activate the forcefield!

Dr. Femus: Activating now! (Light beams surround the alien)

Spinlock: People of Earth, do not worry. As long as those beams are on, the alien cannot fly out. (Suddenly all the lights go out, including the beams. Loud footsteps are heard jumping around the room and the harnesses push down as something lands on you) It's out, the alien flew out. Get it back in the tube, before it eats someone.

Dr. Femus: I can't. We just lost power.

Spinlock: Well get someone in there and fix it!

Maintanance: Hello, hey! Hello! Is everybody alright down there? ( A light and lit helmet appear on a catwalk above) XS Lab, this is maintanance 1. We've got major damage, what's going on in here?

Spinlock: Just a blackout. Find the auxiliary power switch.

Maintanance: No problem.

Dr. Femus: You can find it at the end of the first bridge to your left.

Maintanance: Roger, already there. What in the world? XS, did you here that?

Spinlock: Nevermind! Just find the switch.

Maintanance: Roger.

Dr. Femus: Good job, we got the signal from your night vision camera. (the screens light up with the camera view)

Spinlock: Now show us the people down n the chamber.

Maintanance: Is something wrong?

Spinlock: No, we just need to make sure that they're alright.

Maintanance: No problem. Uh, folks, there's nothing to be afraid of. I'll have this puppy up and running in a flash. Now where's that hatch?

Dr. Femus: Right behind you.

Maintanance: Roger, I've got it. Whoa, what in the universe could have done this.

Dr. Femus: Maintanance one, come in! Can you see the problem?

Maintanance: (into the view of the camera comes the alien, bearing teeth and claws outstretched) I, can see the problem. Oh boy.......(the mouth comes down on the man and all goes dark again. Blood pours down on the people. The alien begins running around again)

Spinlock: People of Earth, quiet! Listen to me please! Don't scream! If you remain perfectly quiet, it probably won't eat you. No, no! I told you to be quiet! (The alien jumps on your back and breaths on your neck. It then licks you with a snake like tongue. A flash of light sparks from the tube)

Dr. Femus: Spinlock! We've got power.

Spinlock: Good, how do we get it back to the tube?

Dr. Femus: Just leave it to me. Tube speakers activated.....screaming now. (Dr. Femus screams and it echoes through the tube. The alien steps on you once more as it heads toward the sound of its new prey.) It's back in the tube!

Spinlock: Boost the power, hurry! Good work. More power!(The creature begins to spark)

Dr. Femus: The creature is about to explode!

Spinlock: Drop the shield! (The shield comes down, but not in time to stop the explosion of the alien which sprays everyone. The screens take a moment to flicker back on.) Well, you see, there you have it. A little glitch here and there, but I think you get the idea, the potential of XS technology, and all of that. We certainly apologize for the inconvinience, but after all....

Dr. Femus: It does take time to seize the future.

Spinlock: Yes.

Dr. Femus: Thank you so much for coming. Please exit out the open doors and don't forget your belngings.

Spinlock: The ones who haven't been eaten. Good luck and good eating.

Dr. Femus: Thank you.

This is were I come in!

I have seen SGE last spring break,let me tell you,it's not good.

When I saw the concept drawings for SGE,I started to think. Seeing Stitch in the middle of the room and everyone having the same OTSR's that AE had,"This won't do so good." popped in my head. They would just take out the Alien and the theming of it. But keep the effects that made AE scary,and put in Stitch. "I do hope Disney knows that many little kids don't like the dark!" I thought.

Just to let you know,AE was my fav. thing at Disney. But I knew,ride SGE with a open mind,and I did. The day I saw it,I got Fastpass because I didn't want to wait for it if it was a dissapointment.

Once I went in,I noticed that the first preshow was the same, T.V's where on the left and the Galatic Federation name was on the right. When the preshow started,the first thing that caught my eye was the poor animation

used for the preshow. It was not Disney animation I knew that,some outside company did the animation! After we were brifed on that we are at a prision transport center,we went into the 2nd preshow. Looking at it,it looked like AE's preshow. A tube on both sides of the room and a AA in the middle. Sir from AE is now Sarge,it looks like they just put a hat on him and a pillow to make his stomach. At least Skippy was still there! Wacthing the preshow,you could tell SGE was ment for little kids with the potty humor. The kids laughed,i'm 15 and it did not make me laugh.

When Sarge "oils" himself when we are alerted that a real bad alien just came in.(a level 3 alien) I slapped myself in the head. It sucks when you see a good AA go dumb. Then we went to the main show. Once we were locked in,they transported the level three alien to us. (We are supposed to watch over him) Of couse we get Stitch.NOTE: When I saw SGE they added a sound effect that was shortly taken out and I will tell you why.

When Stitch appered,heard a little kids voice say "Look mom! It's Stitch!" I wanted to puke right there! Remember,this is the prequel to the movie!

I have to say that Stitch is a really good AA! So are the DNA cannons.

Stitch moves around a bit,looking at the cannons that follow him. he laughs before he spits,making the cannons go haywire,shooting the tube he's in. The power goes out,Stitch is free,the theater is pitch black and I already hear kids crying! I hear that little kids voice again saying"Wow,he's fast!" HOW THE HECK CAN THAT KID SEE STITCH WHEN IT'S PITCH BLACK!?!?! Stitch then steals a chili-dog from someone when we all know you can't bring food into rides! He then burped it on us. I can tell you,it did not smell like a chili-dog! They pumped that smell twice on us! I then heard that stupid kids voice say"This is fun!" If a ride or show tells you this is supposed to be fun,it's a bad show! After sitting in the dark with nothing happening besides kids crying.(I only heard 1 other sound effect,Stitch said "Well you be my friend?") They turn the emergency power on and the dna cannons come back to life. The kids stop crying(But not for long!)

Stitch is up in the rafters and he spits on us. The DNA cannons go crazy shooting at us. The kids don't like this cuz they start crying again! Because the cannons are shooting at us,the power is shut off. Putting us in darkness again. Stitch then starts to jump on us as a light happy music clip is heard. The music does not fit at all. It's strange hearing this happy music in total darkness. Our OTSR's push down like Stitch is jumping on us. Then AE's tongue effect goes off,making everyone scream.Not a happy scream,but a I don't like this scream! After sitting in the darkness some more I hear that fricken' kids voice again say"Look he's rewiring the teleporter!" I am not making this up,it did say that. We then see Stitch in the tube as he is about to escape. Captin Gantu says"That's impossible!" Stitch replies "Not impossible for Stitch!" PLOTHOLE! Stitch has not met Lilo yet! When then see Stitch transport himself to the Magic Kingdom to Cinderella's Castle. He annoys Cinderella before licking the camera. Since there is no purpose of keeping us here,they release us and that's it!

This was done soooo wrong! This is boring for adults and teens and too scary for little kids! SGE was made for kids! I watched people come out of SGE for along time. Some people liked it,but that was hard to find. Everyone else,little kids looking like they have seen a ghost,people with no happy faces. I have seen some people leave the show early because their kid was scared out of their wits! I have heard comments like"Stupid,boring,disgusting." The best comment I heard was when I saw a mom and dad rush their little crying boy out of the show and the father said "They should have a age restriction for that!"

I just was not pleased with it. I'm glad they took that kids voice out of it. But it's still not good. I do like Stitch,but they did this in the most stupid way possible! I wish AE was back, at least what it did,it did it so well and it did fit into MK! It was part of the Tomorrowland Intergalatic Convention Center. I know people say it does not fit because it scary. It was one of the few rides just for the Adults and Teens! it had a edge none of the other rides had! They proved that they can give you a good scare with a fun storyline! Mr. Toad also had a edge no other ride had,it took you to HELL! Anyway,you won't see me go into SGE again. Not unless AE came back.

That is a very lame story line and a real shame that Disney didn't call him Experiment 626. The ending sounds very dumb, if it is a prequel Stitch should of been caught in the end because at the start of Lilo and Stitch he is on trial . I know why they had that kids voice, the Imagineers had a similar problem with Alien Encounter. Due to the loud sound effects and screaming the audience couldn't follow the story, so they added in those voices to keep the audience aware of what's going on.

Disney should of thought this attraction through more, having larger moments of light and shorter moments of pitch black. I have heard that Imagineers are putting in a holographic Stitch that goes on the walls to lower the pitch black time. I think they could do the initial beginning the same (Which sounds very cool), have a pitch black moment then go to a dark room with a visible broken cell and Stitch running around on the walls (Hologram effect). The ending should be changed having Stitch being captured after a second pitch black moment to get the chamber back up and the Stitch Audio Animatronic raised again.

If the show was like that it would have a effective story (beginning, middle, climax and ending), an actual ending leaving the audience with a sense of safety and completion and more balanced fun to scary ratio. In my opinion Disney should of worked much longer on this project instead of releasing it and then fixing the problems. Although from what I have read about Disney, they don't give their Imagineer's prudent time to make their attractions great before their rushed openings.

Stitch is a character children love because he is bad but still loveable. The attraction should emphasize on letting the guests be with Stitch instead of making them afraid of him. I would love to see Disney make this attraction a truly great one but as it stands it doesn't sound like a Great Escape - Stitch

Some cool pictures I found

1:Stitch in his tube.

2:Skippy

3:Mutated Skippy

stitch28.jpg.8e63c65d9998961be70a6ff9839879c3.jpg

Stitch

Stitch, I do agree with you that AE and the Studios would probably have been a more natural fit, especially with Star Tours and the scene from Alien already there. But hey, they already had the building at MK, and it was a cost-effective way to add what they must have figured would be a major new attraction. At least nobody ever died on it...that we know of.

Stitch, I do agree with you that AE and the Studios would probably have been a more natural fit, especially with Star Tours and the scene from Alien already there.

While I don't know of the Alien scene in the MGM Studios it brings up another interesting thing about the Alien Encounter history I would like to share. One day Michael Eisner took his teenage son to Disney Land and was told by his son that the park was lame. After hearing this Eisner went to the Imagineers and wanted them to make a thrilling ride to draw teenagers to the Magic Kingdom and Disneyland.

When Disney came out with Star Tours they gained the rights to use 20th Century Fox's characters. The Imagineers were then asked to make a ride to take the place of the low popularity ride Mission to Mars (I think that's it's name) that was themed to the Alien from 20th Century Fox's film, Alien by Ridley Scott. The original ride concept was called the Nostromo (For those who haven't seen the movie Alien, the Nostromo is the ship the Alien was on), guests would board their cars and shoot the Aliens with guns. This ride concept was immediately shot down because the leaders of the Disney ride board didn't want to see kids with guns. This concept would later come out as Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters.

So, the Imagineers had to scrap their concept and start all over. The new idea was to use the two existing amphitheaters as holding chambers for the Alien. This idea was approved and the Imagineers created the ride using the new 3-D audio system in the shoulder harnesses and some real basic effects. Once the ride was in it's basic state they went to get the Alien creature but ended up getting shot down by the Disney board because the 20th Century Fox Alien was way too violent. Now the Imagineers had to make their own creature, which they did and the rest is the rides known history.

From the start of this rides conception it had nothing in common with the Magic Kingdom but it was designed to scare the pants off of you. Why I have a set respect for Stitch's Great Escape is because they managed to keep a balance of Alien Encounter and Stitch. As time is proving the Alien Encounter aspects that live on are still too frightening for young guests and need to be worked out, as stated in my previous post.

Here is a cool picture I found for all the Alien Encounter fans out there, I am one myself. It is a picture of the old creature in it's transportation tube!

alienencounter.jpg.12054842d618875c34496539d7eb4b44.jpg

Alien Encounter

I do like your idea's Stitch,but one major problem. You need the darkness otherwise you have NO show at all! It's because of the binerual sound! That is the major thing that made AE work. It gave you the feeling that something was right behind you. If you just saw Stitch on hologram most of the time,then why do they have the OTSR's for you? You need the darkness so the effect can really work,take it out and you are just watching Stitch move around. That would be a bit boring in my opinion. Of course many little kids don't like the dark so Disney can't tone it down all the way so they won't get scared because if they did,they won't have a good show! This was preatty much doomed from the start! Oi!

P.S. George Lucas helped with AE! If you saw the sign,it had his name on it!

I didn't say to remove the pitch black parts completely, I meant you could add more light for the parts of extended darkness. Just enough light to give the guests a better sense of safety. The Imagineers have a very difficult job in front of them, they have to make an enjoyable attraction that isn't so tame it's boring. I have faith that the Imagineers will be able to make a program that will please everyone because of the amazing job they did on Alien Encounter.

Disney's Imagineers are the best at what they do, rivaled only by the ride makers at Universal. I am a huge fan of Universal but I have to give the Imagineer's their credit, they are working with a difficult group ... families. Universal makes their rides scary, knowing that people will want to get on it. The Imagineers have to make something that makes everyone happy, stays within their budget and meets their deadline.

I have the highest respect for Walt Disney and the many great artists, engineers and employees that work for Disney. However, I have no respect for the unspeakable conditions they put their artists, engineers and Imaingeers through - Stitch

O.K.,o.k. I get your point. Give the people a better sense of safety,But of course not too much light or we have a not so good show. The people that work at Disney are great. I agree with you that they got the short end of the stick when they had to make Stitch."We don't need our animator's to do the preshows! There's a outside company that can do it for dirt cheap! At Disney,we like to cut corners!"

That's what I thought when I figured out they used a outside company did the animations!

I found an on ride video of Stitch's Great Escape! Now you can see it and judge it for yourself. I personally feel that it was well balanced, with some good scary parts and family friendly funny parts. There was a bit too much darkness though for real young guests. The effects were amazing though, Stitch looks so real in his movements and those DNA cannons were awesome. Take a ride for yourself and post your opinion of it.

http://www.mousetimes.com/nuke/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownloaddetails&lid=32&title=Stitch's%20Great%20Escape

Edited by Stitch

Being on Stich myself, I did not like the ride. It was way to short, and really had no point. I do remember that there were no children screaming except for jumpy teenage girls. When I found out that AE was being taken out I was pissed. That was actually the second real reason I wanted to go to Magic Kingdom, next to Space Mountain.

Over all, not impressed, I much rather ride AE, its just an adult ride. Finally something for adults and not kids.

I respect your opinion of Stitch's Great Escape, I am sorry you didn't enjoy it. I understand whole heartily the angst people can have when another attraction takes the place of one they love. Paramount's King's Island took out King Cobra for Delirium, I love King Cobra so I was obviously very upset. I do how ever know that Delirium is a much better attraction for the park. My point is, just because a ride took the place of one of your favorites doesn't make it a bad one.

After watching the video I personally feel that Disney did a generally good job changing Alien Encounter to Stitch's Great Escape. The real neat thing about riding Stitch's Great Escape is you are basicly riding Alien Encounter, it uses a lot of the same hardware. Stitch's Great Escape as it stands needs work but I feel over time it will be perfected and become more popular.

I *loved* AE. Since I majored in sociology in college, it was great going on this ride/show and taking in all the reactions to the controlled chaos that was going on. much, much fun. I could have used that for my master's thesis had I stuck around a few more years.

..and in reading the OP's post I have to ask, was AE around for 10 years? wow how time flies!

~Allison "I *heart* Skippy" Y2K~

Well Alien Encounter will always be better than Stitch's Great Escape in terms of originality and thrill factor. The point I was trying to make is I personally don't think people should put so much scrutiny on SGE just because it took Alien Encounter's place.

While you may be trying to start a flame war I am not, I haven't ridden it in person but I did watch a complete on ride video. I also rode the The Extra Terrorestrial Alien Encounter, so I can compare Stitch's Great Escape to it from first hand experience. Let's keep this a mature conversation shall we

That may be true for a physical ride but Stitch's Great Escape is a show, not a ride. Since I rode Alien Encounter I know how the restraints feel and how incredible the 3-d sound is. Watching a new show in a theater you have already been in is very similar, just because I haven't smelled his belch or felt the restraints doesn't mean my opinions are as you said "Useless".

I never said people can't or shouldn't hate Stitch's Great Escape. If you read what I said correctly I said that people shouldn't judge or presume Stitch's Great Escape is bad only due to the fact that it took the place of Extraterrorestrial Alien Encounter . Let's try to keep this a friendly discussion and not take comments so personally ok?