TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

West Coast Bash 2009 - Six Flags Magic Mountain

Thank you for the update. WCB is just all sorts of awesome. It is pretty amazing that even with 700+ attendees, the ERT lines for most rides were nonexistent, and X2's queue was very acceptable. I am very happy to have picked up some missing credits on rides that usually have prohibitive waits.

I just happened to notice that Terminator will be opening on Ascension Day. Odd coincidence, or not? In any event, I really look forward to riding it. Did they mention if the canal would play any part in the theming? I ask since I didn't attend any of the Terminator tours. I had planned to, but my daughter thought her blood sugar was a little elevated so we had to head back to the lockers and check it. I'm sure the diabetics here will understand why that had to take precedence over the tour. I do appreciate all the great pictures that people have posted from the tours though.

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great question Will!

Unfortunately, the trivia scantrons were not saved.

Jen or any other member of Team 24, do you recall which question you answered incorrectly?

I don't remember the question, but I think we all agreed it was question # 25. I'm pretty sure.

By the way Robb, that E-mail Dan logo at the end is PRICELESS!

Very nice official update you posted. I also think its safe to say that this event surpassed everyones expectations, as it did for me. Simply put, the event was just pure awesome and it was good hanging out with people I have a lot in common with. I'm sure next year will be just as good if not better than this one. Funny, I had no idea I was in so many photos...

^Of coarse that's not the point though. I thought I read somewhere that WCB will always be planned around Solace for the convenience of those wanting to do both, especially those out of town. Seriously though, I bet WCB creamed Solace this year!

^You have no idea. Solace needs a complete "re-do" to be honest. The event costs too much without a CF Pass (I believe $55), and not enough is offered as far as things to do. At least this year the backstage tour was brought back but I don't think having the entire park open like the WCB Night ERT will ever happen at Knotts unless like I said more is offered, prices reduced, the option of getting tickets at the event or close to the event, and a bigger turnout of people to go to Solace. WCB simply makes more sense to go to when you look at what is offered.

I'm sure that WCB has to be putting some serious pressure on Solace. Hopefully that will push Knott's to improve their event. I considered going to Solace and WCB, but with Xcelerator being iffy, I couldn't bring myself to commit to it. Also consider that I'm footing the bill for 7 attendees, so I've got to factor in the "bang for the buck" part of the deal. WCB alone was great, and exceptionally affordable. I don't regret not attending Solace. If they step it up a notch or 2, then I may make plans for it in the future. As it stands now, I think it is expressed in the enthusiam on this forum for WCB, and relative lack thereof for Solace, that WCB is clearly the superior event. Don't get me wrong, I like Knott's. I just don't like it enough to justify spending twice as much for a lesser event.

Awesome update! I can't say thanks enough to everyone involved for such a great time. The most fun I have had in a long, long time and just an overall perfect day.

In re the talk of WCB vs Solace:

I have done both events now for 4 years, and WCB is a no contest winner of the two events. Seeing what WCB has become in between the first time I attended in 2005 and now is simply amazing, how it has grown.....and at the same time, Solace seems to be fading-it seems like there are less or the same amount of people there each year for the past couple of years.

To be fair, I did enjoy Solace, I always do, just like I always enjoy Knott's. The behind the scenes tours were a nice add this year, and the lunch and ERT are always fun.....(they had a Scavenger Hunt, but William's Scavenger Hunt at WCB truly put the one that they had at Knott's to shame!)...however, between lunch and 10pm, I ended up getting a little bored and took advantage of the time to sneak out to the car for a few hours of sleep and to shoot some video from outside the park. I was not bored for a minute at WCB and the thought of sleep never even crossed my mind. During morning ERT at Solace, I thought of how nice it would have been to have coffee/donuts/muffins-even some that I could purchase, but no food locations inside the park (at least that I know of) were even open. And of course, I still wish the park would get another "big" ride-which might restore some of the excitement about Solace-the last really big coaster they got was Silver Bullet. While Pony Express is clever and quaint, I didn't hear anyone at Solace complain that it was left out of ERT.....

It's a shame because Solace does have potential; I like Knott's and they could do a lot with the event. But when I compare the two events, Solace just doesn't come close. I'll continue to attend, unless WCB were to become a two day event with one of the days landing at the same time as Solace, in which case WCB would win-for the past two years, WCB is the one I really look forward to most of all and now more so than ever.

Ok, Wes what did you learn at Physics day?

Did you learn about potential energy vs. kinetic energy?

Great update, as usual to an even better event.

Again a big thank to Jay Thomas and staff to a much improved MM. Keep it going. It's good to see the park looking so nice.

Now I have to start emailing Dan. This may take some time.

Dws.

HIYAAAA!!

FYI guys, I hate to bust the bubble but we were late entering the park after it opened for ERT and they took the Physics Day sign down off of the gate at like 9pm. Me and my buddy Ray skipped Solace in favor of an extra day at SFMM and it was actually saturday that was Physics Day. Funny enough we didn't see anyone for Physics Day on Saturday either inside the park though!

That was a good update. I'm glad I was able to make it out this year back to California to see all you guys. I will say the additions to WCB did make the event 10x better.

Team number 8...no these guys are NOT the cheaters! If you know what team the cheaters were (or if you have ever cheated on anything)....

EMAIL DAN! and he will make sure those cheaters PAY!

Yeah Hi, we so played by the rules for the scavenger hunt. But we did contemplate one of us just standing on the plaque at the gift shop. hehe

Ouch!! That kink makes my back hurt already.

Funny, but GCII puts little "quirks" like this in nearly every coaster and they never feel as bad as they look. Mark me down as a fan of the little air pops.

Anyways ...

I too agree that Knott's needs to really rethink the Solace event. Apart from being way too late this year (Disney Spring Break crowds ... yay!), it just doesn't seem to have the draw as in years past. I know first hand that they are trying to gear the event towards ACE members and that really confuses me. Why would you want to limit your audience like that?

Pair that with a constant need to pair up the event with something else (this year it was a HUGE cheerleading competition) and I am not in a big hurry to return.

WCB has passed Solace as the main draw for the weekend and I don't see that changing for a long time. But, I would like to see the Solace event improve. I have lots of good memories from past Solace events.

I think I heard somewhere that Solace had about 300 people this year, and WCB had 700. Even without the extra 100 tickets, WCB would have still doubled the attendance.

I remember the last Solace we went to, we actually left the park and saw Lord of the Rings (Return of the King) because we were so bored. And even with that, we left early to go up and crash in Valencia for WCB the next day.

Our original plan was to do Solace, but once I heard about the ERT (not on the 2 new rides, which I STILL haven't ridden) and the cost ($55) we passed.

And boy are we glad we did. Can't wait until WCB 2010. I think I'll bring the kids next year. It really is a family-friendly event.

I remember the last Solace we went to, we actually left the park and saw Lord of the Rings (Return of the King) because we were so bored. And even with that, we left early to go up and crash in Valencia for WCB the next day.

I agree with you there. When I went to Solace back in 2007, they hardly had any interesting activities during the event. I even left early and had more fun helping Kyle and his color guard group paint a big map of the world in Santa Monica.

For those talking about the Solace vs. WCB, I think 2 things that help WCB is that:

1. WCB has been lead by the enthusiasts from the beginning. It started with RideWorld doing a little talking with SFMM for a few hours of ERT for a day. And then Jay Thomas took it under his wing and ran (hand in hand no less) with Robb Alvey and Chris Godsey (please let me have said ther right guy:P), making it an enthusiast's (and just plain coaster lover's) dream.

2.) A fellow "brother" was involved with this year's event. He works at the park, and was in a position to be able to influence the Bash. I personally would love to see who organizes the Solace and see if the few of us who work there could possibly give them ideas about how to improve the event.