TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

West Coast Bash 2009 - Six Flags Magic Mountain

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to say thanks to TPR and Rideworld and SFMM for an awesome day! Everything went really well, and all of the staff were very hospitable. Also, the ERT was AMAZING, and lunch was...well, just what I needed...also very happy to see Mr. Six again for the first time in years. for the first time ever at SFMM, I was able to just chillax the whole time the park was open and do all my rides during ERT. Also, the backstage tour was great, so awesome to be able to see that! Anyways, thanks Robb and everyone else for a great WCB09! See you in '10!

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place for West Coast Bash TRs, but here's mine and TPR staff may move or modify it as needed. I also posted a similar report at Westcoaster.

With the weather being the way it was, I was hoping that the event wouldn't turn out to be "West Coast 'Splash'" and luckily, despite some rain, it was OK. I met Wes and Ryan out in front before going in. There were a few other TPR folks I met, but mostly did the event alone.

These days, I no longer cram in as many rides as I can. The only rides I did more than once were Batman (twice) and Deja Vu (1.05 rides---more on that in a sec). X2 ran for morning ERT, but was down due to wind later on. I rode every coaster in the park except Canyon Blaster, Colossus, and Superman. I almost didn't get to ride the newly reopened Deja Vu because on my first attempt, the train pulled out of the station to head up the first tower when it came to a stop. We sat there for almost ten minutes before the maintenance people showed up and got the train to roll back into the station to unload position, where they let us off. DV was down for the rest of the day, but it was up and running for evening ERT, which is when I did take a full ride---and my first nighttime ride on it.

Terminator looks great and seeing it from the other side gave it a whole new look. The structure of the "deadman turn" is as pretty as the famous and often photographed fan turn of the Santa Cruz Giant Dipper. And I noticed a little hop coming out of it that looks like it will give a nice pop of air.

After the Q&A session, the park let everyone take a piece of Terminator wood home.

All in all, a great day at SFMM. The park wasn't crowded, so getting on rides during non-ERT was no problem. Jay, Neal, Tim, and the whole SFMM team took great care of us as they have for awhile now. I continue to be impressed by the turnaround SFMM has taken.

A big thanks to Chris Godsey and Robb for all of the great and hard work putting this event together. WCB has undoubtedly become the premier park event on the West Coast.

Eric

To Robb and Everyone at the Mountain THANK YOU! This was my first WCB and we had so much fun! We are for sure 100% going again next year and the year after that! Night time ERT on everything was awesome! And the hail was a nice bonus! Also a big thank you to Jay Thomas for working with us! And we will keep our promise to him and we will be back very soon! Thanks again to everyone that had anything to do with helping with the event!

Great shot of Terminator! Not so great shot of Robb! haha.

Loved the event, had a blast! I've never been at Magic Mountain for so long...6:20am to 10pm!...and I can't say I'll do it again anytime soon...at least for another year. But, I had a blast!

Thanks Robb, Chris, and Magic for an amazing event!

Awesome event! Bummed that we missed X2 both we went for it, but got to meet a lot of the people we all post with, and rode every ride in the park by the end... well, except Superman and X2 I cannot wait for Terminator Salvation: The Ride to go up! Even with his detailed description, I still cannot picture the station and the pre-show buildings and stuff.

OMG! That's my head on the left in the T:S pic! And a little tiny bit of my sleeve!

What an amazing event. I have always wanted to join one of the TPR events, and this one did NOT disappoint. Everyone was so welcoming and wonderful, and the staff and management all went out of their way to make everyone feel so important and special. My jaw is still on the floor from amazement.

Thanks Robb and crew for the great event. Cannot WAIT for next year's event. . .and next time, I'll actually get my tix BEFORE they sell out!

I just looked at the Terminator picture, and I think that's me in the blue jacket. At the morning tour, I didn't have my camera, so after lunch I went to my car to get it in time for the 2:15 tour.

This is going to be one heck of a ride.

Eric

As a total "newbie" to this site, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that made this event happen yesterday. I heard about the event a few weeks ago and signed up with a friend and we both had an incredible time. I never thought I'd be at Magic Mountain from 7:30 am until 10 pm!

The morning ERT was great. Rode X2 first thing in the morning, followed by Tatsu twice and then Viper before going to the Terminator backstage tour which was really interesting.

The 4pm event at the theater was pretty cool too.

Then, after a day of riding coasters, I managed to ride the following during night ERT: Viper, Tatsu, Superman, Goldrusher, Riddler's (twice), Batman, Scream (twice), Collosus and Goliath (twice).

I still can't believe that, on one of my rides on Riddler's during night ERT, I was the ONLY person on the train (a friend I was with decided to not ride it again).

I met lots of very friendly people at the event and definitely plan to become more involved posting on themeparkreview.com in the future. I also can't wait for this event to be held again next year!

So thanks again, everyone, for an awesome day.

ps... the weather seemed to turn out pretty good for us all, didn't it? Rained a bit in the morning but the rain stopped just after they opened the front gates at 8:30 am, and then the only other rain the whole day was when it hailed a bit around 11:45 while 1/2 of us were eating lunch.

Robert

This was our first event and I must say quite spectacular. Thanks to everyone involved.

It had also been a while since we've been to SFMM so we rode many new rides.

We were a little disoriented and could not find the picnic area. Park employees directed us to the wrong one so we went to Guest Relations and Information. We still got directed to the wrong picknic area. So we picked up a map and started looking through it when a very accomidating host asked us if we needed help finding anything, we told him where we we trying to go and he actually walked with us all the way there talking about park stuff while he picked up some trash or leaves along the way and occasionally helping other guests that looked lost. Finally found lunch and our guide turned out to be Jay Thomas, the park President. What a nice guy.

The whole event was great. Weather cleared up nicely, and we had a great time with ERT.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone involved in making yesterdays event possible. Robb, you are freakin' amazing! We had a great time at this years event, even with our hail filled lunch plate. Too bad the winds were blowing and that X2 couldn't run but we were able to get one ride in the morning. Q&A was a lot of fun and night ERT was awesome even though it felt like my face was gonna fall off from the cold after each ride. William, the scavenger hunt was awesome! Even though we didn't win we had a great time playing. The only bummer is that I woke up totally sick. Anyways, thanks again to everyone, I had a lot of fun.

I think I am going to become a Tim Burkhart fanboy now, because he was really awesome. Between his jokes and his casual attitude, he is really a good indication of how approachable SFMM management is.

The event was great! I didn't stay for the nighttime ERT, which would have been awesome, but I was just too tired from attending Solace. Also, screening Coaster Expedition Volume 12 was not only a good idea, but I really never knew how funny the videos were until yesterday. Maybe it's time I start watching them.

A big thank you to all the organizers and SFMM. I'm looking forward to next year's bash.

Great event guys it was AWESOME!!!!! I rode everything at least once in the front. To Neal, Tim, and Jay, great job guys you really made this park the best it can be congratulations. There were some slow operations though. Mostly Superman. The line was short before ERT started so we headed over there. By short I mean to the Statue of the two people holding up the ball. It took us 45 minutes to get on it! That was the only bad line all day, but besides that.... BEST DAY AT SFMM EVER!!!!!!!!!!

So we picked up a map and started looking through it when a very accomidating host asked us if we needed help finding anything, we told him where we we trying to go and he actually walked with us all the way there talking about park stuff while he picked up some trash or leaves along the way and occasionally helping other guests that looked lost. Finally found lunch and our guide turned out to be Jay Thomas, the park President. What a nice guy.

How awesome is that!!!!

^^My group experienced the same exact problem at Superman. They were dispatching every 5-6 minutes (NO JOKE! I TIMED IT!) Once we finally got ON the ride, we noticed that the crew was messing around with Security employees instead of doing their jobs. They were VERY rude to Guests whose lapbars weren't coming down far enough to allow the sensor light to illuminate and then didn't let them ride. Those who couldn't ride understood that the lapbar has to come down to a certain point but the operators were singling them out and were not sensitive about it at all. We also took note that they would dispatch a car, unload the Guests, and then not open the load doors for another 2 minutes so they could mess around. Jay and crew heard about the incident and he said it would be taken care of right after we spoke to him.

Other than that, I had a great time!! Most, if not all, the coasters were smoother than they have been in YEARS. I didn't experience any headbanging on Revolution or Viper! Batman was running like it was brand new! X2 was smoother than last year when it opened! Scream! was pretty good. The only coasters I did not ride were Riddler, Colossus, Canyon Blaster, and Superman (our group decided not to ride after dealing with those crappy ride operators.) Thank you Robb, Chris, Jay, Neal, Tim, and the rest of SFMM's operations management!

Oh yeah, Scavenger Hunt group #24 FTW!

^^ I could not stand those ride operators! They singled out a guy in our row, and guess what, he wasn't even the problem!

One of the highlights of my day was when we went to Johnny Rockets and ate with Robb, Big Mike and a few others. Soon Jay and Neal showed up and talked with us. It was really cool guys thanks again.

^^^ I was at Superman then as well. The line took forever, and several people ended up leaving.

I also came back and rode later in the night, and was on the car that "PAL" was on that blew through the station backwards. That was intense!

But yea, operations were definitely way too slow on that ride, and I also thought the way they singled out people was too rude.

Anyhow... the event as a whole was an absolute blast. One of the best days I've had at an amusement park ever. I'll post some of my pics once I get them uploaded.

Honestly guys, like Six Flags Magic Mountain said...TELL GUEST RELATIONS of the problem on Superman!

Seriously, or else these bad ride crews will just keep getting away with it!

I have reported good and bad employees on tons of visits, and I feel that it does have an impact. Get the employees name, or at least location and time of incident, and let someone know!

I didn't have any issues with the crew working Superman - on the contrary, I thought they were fun, and not in a mean way. That ride always cycles slowly. It didn't seem any worse than normal to me.

Except for the failure of the LIMs to stop us as we came back down the hill, I have no complaints. The crew was very good especially the guy wearing the tie. He kept his captive audience (us) up to date and mildly entertained as maintenance winched us out of the clutches of the rare earth magnets and back into the station.