TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Ocean Park Discussion Thread

• 10 months later...

I have a 4.5h layover in Hong Kong on Sunday April 26, arriving around noon. Ocean Park is open. I hear the city has a pretty kick-butt public transport system. Ignoring flight delay possibilities, Is it remotely possible to get there, ride Hair Raiser, and get back for my flight? Do any locals have an idea of potential crowdedness? I'm figuring "no" and "not really"/"very", respectively, but I gotta ask. Hair Raiser is strangely high up on my bucket list. Like.... wayyyy up there. I may consider trying even if there's a good chance I don't get one ride in. Would love to just see the park.

Edited by ejot

^I'm sorry but that's just not enough time. Even with the good public transport it's probably at least an hour from the airport to the park. Add in the time from your plane to the train, from the drop off area to the ride, riding, getting back, it's more than a bit crazy.

Ā 

If you wanted to do something crazy HK Disney is MUCH closer to the airport and you could probably run in there for 30 minutes!

Pretty much impossible. Ocean Park's subway station is not opened yet so you'll spend at least 1.5 hours on the bus between Admiralty and Ocean Park. You'll need to ride OP's cable car or Ocean Express to reach Hair Raiser, that's another 40 minutes. Add the time for Airport Express and subway, 4.5 hours isn't enough.

Ā 

Disneyland is a good choice though. If you're fast enough, grabbing Grizzily Mountain, Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain wouldn't be a problem.

• 1 year later...

Been making some room for the babies stuff and found this. My wife and I had completely forgotten about Ocean Park having a bag of rice stuffed toy. At the time we thought it was funny and Jin was so happy when she won it.

image1.thumb.JPG.575b77692339f56d49250a5160cfa578.JPG

Friend spent the day at the park yesterday ( Thursday ) and said the Chinese tourist where the worst he'd every seen, line cutting, yelling at each other, peeing in gardens, said the day was just awful. he enjoyed the park but said sadly he'd never go back!

^That was my experience two years ago. My favourite was the guests who decided to use their umbrellas on the rapids ride!

i

Ā 

Mine as well, stopped three girls from pushing in to get back down on the cable car, it wasn't pretty

"Please understand our culture" is the phrase I hear thrown around a lot in Asian countries as the excuse for these things or from some-one embarrassed you have seen it. Except Japan. I think in all my trips I've seen literally only one person be crappy and that was a father in DisneySea try and chew out a cast member when he went up single-rider with his young son to avoid the 3 hour line and refused to split up. Although "please understand our culture," is a sentence I'd rather not here in Japan because I love every minute there and trying to make sense of some things you see would just take the magic away.

Friend spent the day at the park yesterday ( Thursday ) and said the Chinese tourist where the worst he'd every seen, line cutting, yelling at each other, peeing in gardens, said the day was just awful. he enjoyed the park but said sadly he'd never go back!

Its funny in Hong Kong how you can clearly tell the difference between people from Hong Kong and a mainland tourist. I had a similar experience there on a weekend, but then on a weekday didn't see any of that.

Ā 

Though I will say I enjoyed the cultural experience in a "this is fun but glad I don't live here and have to deal with it every day" way. The line for the tram was literally a stampede every time it moved, everyone running (and running each other over) just to move like 10 feet.

• 1 year later...

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/community/article/2124627/cable-car-issue-hong-kongs-ocean-park-traps-210-riders-mid

Ā 

Breakdown issues usually don't bother me, but with the location of Ocean Park cable cars and the cold weather, I think i would have been very uncomfortable during the delay

Ā 

Cable car issue at Hong Kongā€™s Ocean Park traps 210 riders mid-air in winter cold

Ā 

A spokeswoman for the Southern District amusement park said shortly before midnight that one of the two ropeways for the cable car system was suspended temporarily at 7.43pm, and that park staff had immediately performed an inspection.

Ā 

ā€œ[The staff] found that the station railing on the platform had hit a cabin due to strong wind, resulting in its misalignment, which interfered with the movement of the rest of the cable car cabins,ā€ she said.

Ā 

The Hong Kong Observatory issued the first cold weather warning of the winter on Saturday afternoon, as the temperature dropped to as low as 10 degrees Celsius in some areas. The weather forecaster recorded 13 degrees in Wong Chuk Hang, where the park is located, at the time of the incident.

Ā 

The spokeswoman said that no passengers were injured in the incident. Ropeway operation resumed at 8.16pm, after an urgent adjustment. Guests on that ropeway were able to start leaving the cabins.

Ā 

ā€œBy 8.52pm, all 210 guests on the ropeway safely exited the ride without injury. During this period, the other ropeway and the Ocean Express funicular trains continued to operate and serve the guests of the park,ā€ she continued.

Ā 

Ocean Park informed the Electrical and Mechanical Services Department of the incident immediately. It pledged to carry out a thorough examination of the cable car system before resuming operation of the ropeway.

Ā 

In November 2012, 95 riders were left in mid-air for about half an hour when one of the ropeways was suspended temporarily.

Ā 

The park explained at the time that a cabin had failed to release its grip from the cable normally, prompting the cable car system to stop automatically as a safety precaution. No one was hurt.

Ā 

A similar incident took place in August 2007, when 280 passengers were trapped in the cable cars for eight minutes after a conveyor belt broke.