TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Rainbow's End, New Zealand

stuartnz

^I didn't know Merimbula's Magic Mountain had a bobsled, starting to look a bit more interesting. I've never driven that far south (about 5 hours), though I have flown further.

I really expected Rainbow's End to be more like a carnival with a portable as the marquee coaster.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me or does it seem as though NZ is STUCK in the 90's and just can't seem to get out (no offense). I know I'm not the only one to had said this.

No, NZ is not stuck in the 90s, Rainbow's End is though (due to the fact that it's the only themepark in NZ). Aside from Rainbow's End, NZ is well out of the 90s and has been for a while. But I guess you could be fooled by Rainbow's End .

It is possible that this could be a stop on a TPR Australia trip. There are plenty of adventure things to do in New Zealand. There are not a lot of coasters down under so maybe combining coasters with White water rafting, bungee jumping etc. could make the trip worth while.

Well, there are a few airlines (Air New Zealand being the obvious one) that stop over in Auckland on the way over to Australia from the US West coast, so you could really just spend a day in Auckland. In reality it could just be done as a 'bonus' park.

The big coaster clump is in the greater Brisbane area, and the good news there is that the parks are all very close together. I'd be inclined to allow a day for Warner, a day for Dreamworld, and put Sea World and Wet'n'wild onto the same time. If you want to do Aussie World put it on a day with a flight.

No way. I know from your report that it was a rainy and cold day, and hence you only spent enough time to get the Surfrider credit, but Wet 'n' Wild is definitely a full day park, even on moderate to quiet days (In the height of summer it becomes a 2 day park)

Thing is, our 'dry' parks probably don't have as much to offer as ones in Europe and the US....but on the other hand our water parks are better, so anyone planning a trip down under should definitely put Wet 'n' Wild and Whitewater World on their itineraries (By the time TPR does a trip here W'nW Aussie World* will be open too)

*Aussie World is dissapearing, no word yet on what is happening to the Wild Mouse ...WVTP have bought it and are turning it into a Wet 'n' Wild.

If you want to do Merimbula then you need to budget for a silly drive each way to get there (~8 hours) or work around the flight schedule.

If people were really that eager to visit ride a Galaxi, the best approach would be to start in Melbourne, drive to Merimbula, then continue north to Sydney.

Correct me if I'm wrong (I hate starting posts like this), but doesn't Cedar Point's corkscrew actually have a little airtime hill after the first drop before the loop? Maybe I'm remembering it wrong. I looked for pictures but there don't seem to be any of that part of the ride...

I think you are right on that one.

Anyhow, the corkscrew at Rainbows End is a bit different to the one at CP, in reality the layout is just your standard Arrow Loop screw like these:

http://www.rcdb.com/ig264.htm?picture=5

http://www.rcdb.com/ig447.htm?picture=6

http://www.rcdb.com/ig1137.htm?picture=2

Correct me if I'm wrong (I hate starting posts like this), but doesn't Cedar Point's corkscrew actually have a little airtime hill after the first drop before the loop?

There sure is... my 6'2" frame taking a front-seat ride won't let me forget it.

Dan "Single most painful ride I've ever had... and I've ridden Minebuster!" Smith

Rainbow's End was a a pleasant surprise for me. I wasn't expecting much, but once I thought of it, Auckland is a big enough city to support a larger park. Either way, we enjoyed our day at Rainbow's End and that is all that's important.

If and when I am back in Auckland, (and they get that Mega-Lite) I will definitely visit again.

I remember doing a project on New Zealand and being a coaster enthusiast and all, I had to have something coaster related in there! I got some pictures from the park, and used them in the project. It was kinda sad, that this is all New Zealand has. But this PTR definately showed the park very well, and even though it doesn't really have a good coaster, it really looks like a very nice park.

Is it just me or does it seem as though NZ is STUCK in the 90's and just can't seem to get out (no offense). I know I'm not the only one to had said this.

NZ is definitely not stuck in the 90's, I believe they stepped out of the 1890's a couple of years ago. They did win the Rugby League world cup, they are so superbaaad.

I'd be interested to know what kind of annual attendance Rainbow's End gets.

Nice report! Rainbow's End is surprisingly good when you consider we only have 4 million citizens and most tourists come to see the great outdoors. Many childhood memories for me, and the Arrow Loop & Corkscrew is largely to blame for kick-starting my own roller coaster craze! The log flume is quite large and has a pretty good layout - the attempt at themeing is a lot better than your average Six Flags complete-lack-of-effort.

Auckland used to have a really ghetto park called Footrot Flats, after the Murray Ball comic strip, later re-named Leisure Land, which had an S.D.C. Galaxi coaster and various carnival rides. It's not listed on the rcdb and seems to have vanished into obscurity...

NZ is definitely not stuck in the 90's, I believe they stepped out of the 1890's a couple of years ago. They did win the Rugby League world cup, they are so superbaaad.

P.S. Why so snooty Australia? Or are you trying to deflect your own post-colonial insecurities onto us (yet again)?

P.S. Why so snooty Australia? Or are you trying to deflect your own post-colonial insecurities onto us (yet again)?

You know the drill - we accuse you of being backward and loving sheep, and you accuse us of being a bunch of convicts. I'm 1st gen Aussie so the convict thing doesn't apply to me. All in good fun, congrats on sucking slightly less than Australia in the cricket last night.

^ can do and Ill meet you there.

Dear Rainbows End

Please bulid one of these.

http://www.intaminworldwide.com/iag/docu/Mega-Lite_Coaster_Web.pdf

Thank you in advance.

Love

Zane

I'm seriously considering sending an e-mail like that

It's been a few years since they actually added a major attraction (the Fear Fall), so you never know

Why do the people that run Rainbow's End sound like Helen Clark?

Regarding the park, though, in the past it never really got much love by the owners. I mean, I think the last coaster they built was 1999 or something like that, which is ten years ago. And the last time the log flume was refurbished was around then, too.

And besides that, there's a case of no space, because the park is now totally surrounded by roads, and at the back of the park they're building a new highway thing. It's kinda sad.

And besides that, there's a case of no space, because the park is now totally surrounded by roads, and at the back of the park they're building a new highway thing. It's kinda sad.

f****n Jafas. We could always just do a SFKK thing and build it on 2 sides on the highway