TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Academy Awards 2009

Sticky Nicky

Oscar season is here. The Academy just released the nominations today. Take a look: CLICK HERE

Topping the nomination list includes:

THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON (13)

SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE (10)

THE DARK KNIGHT (8)

MILK (8)

WALL-E (6)

What do you think? I personally feel that The Dark Knight should get at least a best director nomination. Wall-E was up there with six nominations including Best Screenplay and Best Animated Film of the Year.

So what are your predictions?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm more upset about the lack of noms for The Wrestler. As good as Dark Knight was, its still a genre film in a genre that most awards committees don't care about.

The Wrestler is seriously about as good as movies get, it deserves a ton more recognition.

in my opinion, benjamin button and the dark knight really deserve the nominations.

but the one thing, that i can´t understand is the nomination for "the baader-meinhof-komplex". even if that´s about an important part in younger german history, this film is boring and the actors were more than dissapointing.

i hope that "presto" will win the race in the categorie "short film, animated"

and wall-e will make it at least in animated feature film!

I can't believe Robert Downey Jr. got nomnated for best supportng actor! Thats BULL! That movie was not very good IMO.

I agree! What the hell is going on! Why has he been nominated as best supporting actor! It's a comedy! Comedies are never nominated, especially in acting categories!

Popular theory is, they've nominated poorly in the best supporting actor category so it's an easy win for Heath. But, to be fair, he is awesome in Dark Knight.

I can't believe Robert Downey Jr. got nomnated for best supportng actor! Thats BULL! That movie was not very good IMO.

I laughed extremely hard when I read this. As funny as it may have been, it is not an Oscar-worthy film. I'm glad Dark Knight got some recognition, and I'm really curious about The Wrestler. I might have to go check it out.

---Brent

I agree! What the hell is going on! Why has he been nominated as best supporting actor! It's a comedy! Comedies are never nominated, especially in acting categories!

Maybe it's because RDJ is an exceptional actor? Why else would he be given so damn many chances after screwing up time and time again?

The award is "Best Supporting Actor", not "Best Supporting Actor in a Serious Role".

Hat tip to the academy for doing something different this time. Though I'm not really a fan of that movie at all.

rdowneymug1.thumb.jpg.ccd9222708953184c80cecf2e5a7cc3f.jpg

Robert Downey Jr: American Hero and Role Model to Millions

^And, I've always thought, a damn good actor. For my money, Iron Man was the best comic-book-inspired movie last year, largely thanks to him (and because the movie didn't take itself all that seriously). He was funny as hell in Tropic Thunder, too.

Yeah. I don't know how many actors could do that good a job as a white man playing a white man who plays a black man (and even thinks he's black). It's a much more intricate character than I think many people give credit for.

IMO, he did exactly what he was supposed to.

And I really want to see Milk and The Wrestler now. Even more than before.

While I think that Slumdog Millionaire will most likely win the award for best picture, I think Sean Penn and Gus Van Sant stand a good chance of winning in their catagories. All the nominees for best supporting actor are, in my opinion, amazing and if it weren't for Heath Ledger, I would have a hard time deciding which performence I liked the best. Josh Brolin did a great job in Milk, but I think my two favorite performences in that category were Ledger and Michael Shannon. I'm not sure if I would rather Taraji Henson or Marisa Tomei win best supporting actress. While I think that Benjamin Button was a great movie, I don't think it was nearly great enough to really beat out its competition in any of the categories, except for Henson's role.

^And, I've always thought, a damn good actor. For my money, Iron Man was the best comic-book-inspired movie last year, largely thanks to him (and because the movie didn't take itself all that seriously). He was funny as hell in Tropic Thunder, too.

Yeah, he is great. Though I just read that he's currently shooting a new Sherlock Holmes movie directed by Guy Ritchie with RDJ as Holmes and Jude Law as Watson. I gotta say I'm very skeptical about this project. What are the chances that RDJ could unseat Jeremy Brett as the definitive Holmes? I'd say very small.

^My old friend Dave is a member of the Baker Street Irregulars. Don't get him started on Jeremy Brett! He hates his take on Holmes (at least as the Granada series ground on). He's pretty dubious about the upcoming Downey version, too (although he does think Downey a good actor).

Dave is a fan of Arthur Wontner, who played Holmes in a series of British films in the 1930s. He likes Ian Richardson, as well.

^My old friend Dave is a member of the Baker Street Irregulars.

Ha! I'm not quite that nerdy. Though there is a strong chance that I'll get to visit Reichenbach Falls shortly before the Scandi Trip in June. We're spending a few days in Murren, which is quite close to the falls.

My Predicts

Best Picture

Slumdog Millionaire

Best Director

Danny Boyle, Slumdog Millionaire

Best Actor

Sean Penn, Milk

Best Actress

Melissa Leo, Frozen River

Best Supporting Actor

Heath Ledger, The Dark Knight

Best Supporting Actress

Viola Davis, Doubt

Best Adapted Screenplay

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Best Original Screenplay

In Bruges

Best Animated Feature Film

WALL-E

Best Foreign Language Film

Waltz with Bashir

Best Documentary Feature

Man on Wire

Best Art Direction

Revolutionary Road

Best Cinematography

Best Costume Design

The Duchess

Best Film Editing

Slumdog Millionaire

Best Makeup

Hellboy II: The Golden Army

Best Music (Original Score)

Slumdog Millionaire

Best Music (Original Song)

Slumdog Millionaire

Best Sound Editing

WALL-E

Best Sound Mixing

The Dark Knight

Best Visual Effects

Best Documentary Short Subject

The Conscience of Nhem En

Best Short Film (Animated)

Presto

Best Short Film (Live Action)

Auf der Strecke (On the Line)

--Jay

I personally think that Robert Downey Jr. did deserve the nomination for supporting actor. I know a lot of people didn't like that movie or just didn't understand why he got the nomination, but it really is a fantastic movie that pokes serious fun at the film industry, and one of very few films whose sole purpose is specifically to do just that. I don't think one has to enjoy it to recognize its satire and irony. As a film student, that was the first thing I noticed and loved about it.

I think that the Academy made a good choice and did something really different in nominating Downey. I think he hasn't received enough credit for his role in Tropic Thunder. To quote a good friend of mine, "he played a black guy almost immaculately". He was hilarious and did an excellent job and, at least for me, stole the show in many scenes.

So, to conclude a probably unnecessarily long post, though I can't say I think he deserves to win when put up against some of the other actors nominated, I do think he deserved the nomination.

Here's my list of who I want to win (not who I think will win)

Best Picture- Slumdog Millionare (or a bunch of people writing in The Wrestler)

Director - Boyle for SM although if Fincher got it I wouldn't mind

Actor - Mickey Rourke for Wrestler

Actress - Anne Hathaway

Sup Actor - Ledger

Sup Actress - Marisa Tomei

Writing Adapted - Slumdog

Writing Original - Wall-E (wow totally weak category this year)

Editing - Slumdog though if Batman won that'd be sweet

Cinematography - Dark Knight (Imax stuff looks amazing)

Doc Feature - MAN ON WIRE (great movie!!!!!)

Not gonna pick on the other ones cuz they're more technical.