TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Fair Question

RedB

What is the best Cedar Fair park other than Cedar Point? I am looking to get some new credits this year. Since I have platinum passes, and haven't been to most of the chain, I thought this would be the way to go. I appreciate any advice you can give. Thanks!

P.S. One caveat, it has to be within driving distance of Detroit so no west coast parks.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michigan's Adventure would be closest but I'm sure you've already been there. Then if you're willing to make the 5+ hour drive, there's Kings Island in southern Ohio, Canada's Wonderland in Ontario, Dorney Park in Allentown PA, Valleyfair in Minnesota, and Kings Dominion in Richmond. All great parks and would be worth the drive.

I've also noticed that since CF took control of CW, their rules are alot more stricter now. CF is pretty strict I'd say.

I see no difference between CF and Paramount to be honest.

To the OP, Canadas Wonderland and Kings Island are pretty much your only options if they have to be within driving distance of Detroit.

Valleyfair, Kings Dominion, and Carowinds are all pretty far away. Probably too long drives for what you'd want.

I've also noticed that since CF took control of CW, their rules are alot more stricter now. CF is pretty strict I'd say.

I see no difference between CF and Paramount to be honest.

To the OP, Canadas Wonderland and Kings Island are pretty much your only options if they have to be within driving distance of Detroit.

Valleyfair, Kings Dominion, and Carowinds are all pretty far away. Probably too long drives for what you'd want.

Well when I was at CW last year summer, I heard an op say some "cedar point-esque" thing like "If you can't secure yourself you cant ride". And I also saw an op ask someone to "empty EVERYTHING out of their pockets and put it on the side" just because he was wearing pants with big pockets. He actually was trying to sneak a camera onto the ride (to film a POV perhaps?) and when he "emptied his pockets", the ride op made him put the camera aside with the rest of his stuff. Back when before CF took over, I never saw anything like this... And also, my cousin from Toronto told me something about "Vortex takes forever to load now".

Well I guess I"m being biased again as I've only been to CW 4 times my whole life.

I've seen people get away with the camera thing before... But emptying your pockets I've never seen.

And what I was talking about Vortex is that they added seatbelts to Vortex which takes extra time in loading. Exact same ones added to Corkscrew at CP I believe.

Do you have any preference to wood or steel?

If you want a good wooden coaster, Valleyfair is really your only choice with Renegade.

Canadas Wonderland and Kings Island both have horrible woodies. Though both parks do have new B&M hypercoasters.

Kings Dominion and Carowinds aren't really all that special for wood or steel.

Hmm I'm gonna have say Kings Island although i've never been there myself. It seems like it has the best coasters and thrill rides. Plus it's getting diamondback this year.

You didn't specify if we had to actually experience the park to recommend it.

I've just kinda "studied" each park when i'm bored(lol) and it seems like a nice park. I've never heard anything bad about it, mostly good. My cousin went there on an 8th grade trip and her classmates and her enjoyed it a lot. Can't hurt to say something about a park close to "RedB" that seemed pretty good. Just trying to help here.

^Studying does not equal actual experiences at a park. I appreciate you trying to help but what i need is the opinions of people who have been to these parks and can share their experiences.

^^^^None have a nice mix of decent wood and steel? Opinions on Dorney?

it seems like a nice park. I've never heard anything bad about it, mostly good.

You've never listened to Dave on here, have you?

I like KI, though I will admit their coaster lineup is a bit lackluster. Diamondback should be great though. Beast is fun if you do it at night (not worth it when there's daylight). I'm a big FoF fan, but really the rest are anywhere from "meh" to straight poo-poo. Their flats are pretty good IMO (now that Crypt actually does intense cycles).

If you want credits, with a couple solid rides, go KI. I'm not really sure how the other CF properties your looking at stack up to it, but it could end up being your best bet.

^^^^None have a nice mix of decent wood and steel? Opinions on Dorney?

I thought Dorney was kind of average. Although I went pre-Hydra.

Worlds of Fun could have a decent mix of wood and steel with the addition of Prowler.

Renegade is really the only good woody in the entire chain at the moment IMO. But Prowler will probably be the 2nd. Some of the parks have terrible woodies. Beast and SoB at Kings Island are awful, Wild Beast at Wonderland is terrible, and then there's a whole bunch of average at best woodies at the other parks.

Kings Island is your best option, its by far my favorite "non CP" Cedar Fair park and isnt that far of a drive from you (4-5 hours).

Your other options are pretty lame: Valleyfair and Dorney both like 8 hour drives and not worth it unless you add other parks to your trip.

Opinions on Dorney?

It's a well rounded park. Talon is a great invert, Steel Force and Voodoo good, Hydra and Thunderhawk are ok, Wild Mouse isn't too good. The water park is amazing, it is better than some standalone water parks with 2 lazy rivers, 2 wave pools and around 15 different slides. Another plus for the park is that lines are usually never a problem, especially on weekdays.

Thundercreek Mountain is a unique terrain log flume and the flat collection is good. Dominator (S&S towers) and the Whip are my 2 favorites.

• 5 weeks later...

I highly recommend Kings Island. I've been there three times and love the park. Diamondback looks amazing! Also, I am a huge fan of the beast. If you ever have the chance, ride it at night and after a major rain storm. Due to the use of skid brakes, only one train can be run after a large amount of rain. This means they turn the mid-course trim brakes off! SoB is still very rough but not nearly as painful as it used to be.

Canada's Wonderland is fun too, but it has a somewhat questionable coaster line up, other than Behemoth, of course. By the way, Behemoth is amazing! Loading times are much quicker than average at CW because they reward their ride teams for achieving as close to max. capacity as possible. (The fly and sidewinder are exceptions for obvious reasons.)

Go to Kings Island. It gets a lot of hate but it's actually pretty fun. Beast, Flight Deck, and Fof are all great coasters, plus there's Diamondback. Although they're not very popular amongst enthusiasts I'd also say Vortex and The Racer are fun rides that you won't totally hate. KI is also a manageable drive from where you are - a very big plus. Beyond this the only CF park I'd recommend [of the ones I've been to - haven't hit Valleyfair, Carowinds or the west coast parks (yet)] would be Dorney Park. Talon is my favorite B&M invert, and Hydra is unique for a B&M, it's a great ride, especially at night! There's also Steel Force, an underrated hyper from Morgan. Dorney is small so it won't take long to do the park (if time becomes an issue for you), and it actually has a bit of charm.