TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

My Musing as an Asian who went to Cedar Point...

Hey,

I know that race isn't really the right kind of topic for a coaster forum...but I have to ask the question since it's been rankling me for the last couple of months.

So during the summer I went to Cedar Point. I'm a Korean-American, but I speak English much more fluently than I do Korean. I usually live in California, but I vacationed at Ohio and decided to hit up the mother of all parks and went to CP. So I parked at the parking lot, went in, and the immediate thought that popped into my head was...

"Oh my god, everyone's white."

I know, I know...it's the northeast and all that. And I'm not saying that I got treated differently. I'm just asking, for the minorities on these boards, have you ever felt like you were kinda 'out of place' at a theme park that was homogenically unified?

For me, the main reason I prefer SFMM over CP is that I don't really feel the 'left-out' thought that I got at CP.

Am I just being hypocritical?

In any case, feedback is welcome.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I understand what you mean. A couple years ago my family and I visited the Grand Canyon via Phoenix. As we were leaving Phoenix to go to Flagstaff we stopped at a mall (the one next to Castles n Coasters) and I swear, everybody in the mall except us was Mexican. I've never felt so out of place in my life.

I think you could ask this about anyplace. When I lived in Las Vegas and Los Angeles, it was culture shock coming from a city that was mainly black and white. But now I'm so used to living in places where I'm the minority, I don't even think about it anymore. I sometimes actually prefer it. Being a token white guy is fun a lot of times.

I understand what you mean. A couple years ago my family and I visited the Grand Canyon via Phoenix. As we were leaving Phoenix to go to Flagstaff we stopped at a mall (the one next to Castles n Coasters) and I swear, everybody in the mall except us was Mexican. I've never felt so out of place in my life.

haha metro center is avoided at all cost by anyone not hispanic or of hispanice background haha. yeah if your not, your beyond out of place feeling.

It's amazing how Sandusky can be so different. One side of the city looks very good (economically speaking) and yet the other side looks like one of the poorest places you will ever see.

That is the same by me in Camden, NJ. One part of the city is nice with the waterfront & college. A few blocks away you have a ghetto & one of the worst crime cities in America. I'm glad I live 12 miles away in little old Clementon.

I don't quite get the point of this.

You guys all need to get out more! Try being the only westerner at parks or places in Asia! Or not speaking the language at a park.

We're all different. There are some areas that are more segregated than others, but most groups will make you feel welcome!

I'm white as can be, but wandering around with my 3-yr-old Guatemalan brother (myself approaching 20) has harbored more strange looks than I've gotten in my international travels to non-white countries. It could be a bit weird, sure, but most people don't care. The rest don't matter.

^Sandusky is a leech that feeds off Cedar Point. It has no real economy.

Nonsense. What about it's booming auto parts industry?

Callahan-Auto-parts-lg.gif.a9bd10a57fc4868229ca73978c929fc2.gif

I didnt notice it at CP but some parks its shockingly obvious. Try going to a place like Dollywood where literally everyone is white and there are visual references to protestantism all over the park.

Wow, I would fit in perfectly at Dollywood, I'm a white protestant. Although I am not a minority(at least not in California) we all get along pretty well and I kind of get his point. I got lost in a zooish place Cancun about 8 years ago, and realized I was the only white guy besides my parents, who I was separated from and completely panicked. I don't know if it was because I was lost(it was not a huge place, and there were clear entrances and exits as well as an intercom system) or if it was the white guy thing. I am from Irvine,CA lad of the rich and the whites and Asians. That is the only minorities around, and there are like 10 African Americans a our school who sit in a big group and listen to rap.

I don't quite get the point of this.

You guys all need to get out more! Try being the only westerner at parks or places in Asia! Or not speaking the language at a park.

We're all different. There are some areas that are more segregated than others, but most groups will make you feel welcome!

I tend to agree with Elissa. Having been all around this country and to theme parks in other countries where I was the only westerner, I think it is just how one looks at the situation. Sure I felt a little uncomfortable once at SFGAdv when I was in the queue with about fifty urban New York teenagers, but they left me alone and I never felt out of place or threatened by them.

The same goes for countless other situations at other places. I am married to a Mexican and my son is mixed and I have never felt out of place in a theme park, even in the south. Perhaps I am just being ignorant and not seeing it, but as they say, "Ignorance is bliss!"