98 members have voted

1. 1. Who Will Win Superbowl?

• Steelers
    • Cardinafluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im rooting for the Steelers (of course) but the Cardinals have been my second favorite team for years so I wont be that disappointed if my team loses. Kind of weird my 2 favorite teams got to the Super Bowl cause my 2 favorite teams also got to the Stanley Cup finals in 2008. Now if only those Pirates could do something this year....

It seems like Phoenix's Mayor is an ever bigger idiot than Titans are.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:03 pm EST

Mayor of Phoenix uses the Terrible Towel as a snot rag

By MJD

Everyone in the Cardinals organization, from the head coach down to the practice squad players, has been very careful not to give the Steelers any bulletin-board material this week. If they've mentioned the Steelers at all, it's been only to talk about their great respect for them.

That's not by accident, either. They're being deliberately careful not to provoke the Steelers, and so far, they haven't. And that's why I'm guessing that Ken Whisenhunt would like to strangle Phoenix mayor Phil Gordon today.

Mayor Gordon and Big Red, the Cardinals mascot, held up a Terrible Towel at a rally yesterday, and Big Red used it to wipe his armpits. He then gave the towel to the mayor, who pretended to blow his nose on it, and then threw it on the ground. You can see footage of the towel desecreation here.

If you think the Steelers are above getting mad over such a petty little thing, you'd be mistaken. After the Titans beat the Steelers earlier in the season, a few Titans players stomped on a Terrible Towel. And even later in the playoffs, after the Titans lost a game that would've set up a rematch with the Steelers, linebacker Larry Foote was still harping on it.

"That's what they get for trying to humiliate us and rub it in, for not showing any class," Pittsburgh linebacker Larry Foote said. "We wanted to play them again, but they couldn't hold up their end of the bargain. That's what they get for stomping on the towel. We're stepping on them right now."

As dumb as this stuff might seem to you or me, it really does make a difference to some players. Being "disrespected" makes players angry. Anger, even if it stems from something trivial and childish, can motivate a guy in a way that even winning can't. Anger works.

For his part, the mayor has apologized, saying, "At no time did anyone intend, in any way, to offend the Steelers organization and their many fans, supporters and traditions." So I guess the mayor sees it as an honor for an object to be bathed in his snot. I'll be honest with you: I'd vote for a guy with such holy snot.

Keep checking Shutdown Corner throughout the week, and we'll keep you apprised of any further developments with Mayor Gordon's snot.

And here is the video of Big Red and the other dumba$$

--Chris

Fearless predictions:

The towels will not throw a pass, catch a pass, run with the ball, block, defend, kick a field goal, or coach the team. I could be wrong, be I'm pretty sure they're still just towels.

In fact, I think it'd be kind of funny to watch Arizona polish off the trophy with one, should they win.

Oh, and I speak as a fan of a team whose traditions have been stolen and used by COUNTLESS teams since the mid-80's.

It is just a freakin' towel. I don't have anything to learn. I just picked the Steelers to win in a pool. I'm beating on the playing on the field, not a piece of fabric that I could dry my butt on when I get out of the shower.

Believe me, I saw enough of them in Washington earlier in the season. The towels didn't do anything to make the Redskins lose. The Pittsburgh fans' noise level and Leftwich and the rest of the Steelers beat the Redskins, not the towels.

TJ Houshmanzadeh, Derrick Mason, and LenDale White also thought it was a "freakin' towel." The Bengals lost their first playoff game in 2005 after Housh wiped his feet with it and have never been the same since, the Ravens lost 3 times to the Steelers this season after Mason's stomping on the towel, and the Titans didn't even get a chance to face the Steelers again after their great season, they got eliminated in the Divisional Round after LenDale White also stupidly stomped on the towel.

Once again, it's not just a towel, it's the legacy of Myron Cope. Regardless, it's something that's going to provoke the Steelers and give them more incentive to win. Why did Mayor Gordon apologize so quickly if it's "just a freakin' towel?" Wouldn't it not matter then?

I like this quote from the article, "As dumb as this stuff might seem to you or me, it really does make a difference to some players. Being "disrespected" makes players angry. Anger, even if it stems from something trivial and childish, can motivate a guy in a way that even winning can't. Anger works."

At this point, I hope they lose now!

I never knew that towels had such special powers.

Now THAT is a typical response from a REDSKINS FAN who just moved to Philly 3 years ago.

Thanks Joe. I too think that will be a nice addition to my golf bag. Though, I don't think I will display it. I will keep it nice and tucked away in one of the pockets.

The Terrible Towel

"Is not an instrument of witchcraft…It is not a hex upon the enemy. THE TOWEL is a positive force that lifts the Steelers to magnificent heights – and poses mysterious difficulties for the Steelers' opponents only if need be. Many have told me that THE TERRIBLE TOWEL brought them good fortune, but I can't guarantee that sort of thing because the Steelers, after all, are THE TOWEL'S primary concern. Still, at the least, the symbol of THE TERRIBLE TOWEL will serve as a memento of your having been part of the Steelers' Dynasty and if it causes good things to happen to you, so much the better."

-Myron Cope

To you it is "-just a freakin' towel." But to the citizens of Steeler Nation, it is the flag of their nation, a symbol of victory and tradition.

And in the words of Myron Cope, "The TERRIBLE TOWEL is poised to STRIKE!!!"

--Chris

That is fine if it is a symbol and is a part of tradition. Every sports team has a logo, a mascot, a symbol.... something that makes the team, the fans and the organization what it is. I'm completely fine with that. However, I find it completely irrational to believe that a towel actually holds this force over anything, considering it is a towel with no feelings, or super powers of any kind. If you are superstitious, and have a deep passion for the team, and really feel like you need a towel to help support your team because it is tradition, that is fine. But please don't actually think that a towel can influence what is going on at field level. That is like saying a cheese head - a big yellow block of foam - can influence a football game.

I like the towel. I like long-standing traditions. I don't care for fans that go overboard. I spoke with one such fan last week. He told me, and I quote, "Don't disrespect the Terrible Towel. It IS Pittsburgh, and the reason we win."

My response, "Then how come you're not undefeated?" "Did the towel not show up for those games?"

Shouldn't they have won every championship since the creation of the towel?

And I'm pretty sure Pittsburgh is comprised of a lot more things other than a yellow towel such as a rich industrial history, beautiful surroundings, and unfortunately a good amount of poverty.

I just don't like it when people take it over the top either. I mean, I really like my sports, but Yankees fans should not be shooting Red Sox fans and vice versa, people should not be hailing towels, and people certainly should not be making harsh comments about where people live.

TJ Houshmanzadeh, Derrick Mason, and LenDale White also thought it was a "freakin' towel." The Bengals lost their first playoff game in 2005 after Housh wiped his feet with it and have never been the same since, the Ravens lost 3 times to the Steelers this season after Mason's stomping on the towel, and the Titans didn't even get a chance to face the Steelers again after their great season, they got eliminated in the Divisional Round after LenDale White also stupidly stomped on the towel.

LOL. The Bengals lost the game because TJ stepped on a towel, and not because Carson got taken out on Cincy's first play? Or that the Steelers were just plain out the better team to begin with?

My favorite, though, is saying that the Titans lost to the Ravens because the towel made them. If the towel had any "powers" they would let the Titans win that game so the Steelers could stomp them themselves. I didn't realize the Steelers were the type of team to take credit for other teams' successes.

Sure, the towel is a nice symbol of team unity, and any vandalism is good incentive to "seek revenge". I get that. But seriously, this is no different than colleges stealing their rival's mascot before the big game, lynching up a rival's mascots, mocking the Gator Chomp or the O-H-I-O, etc.