TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point in May, a good idea?

"Scientifically" speaking, May will usually have less rain in May than June and July in Ohio and its surrounding states (seen that on the Weather Channel )

I was last there at the end of May in 2007, 75 and sunny all day, with a small rain shower on day 3

As for crowds, Maverick had just opened the day before so it always had a 1.5-2 hour wait

A weekday other than Memorial day crowds should be moderate at the most

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, & the weather in May is much more comfortable as opposed to June/July/August. Maybe just a light jacket at most.

Maybe for those of us from the north a light jacket would be enough in May.

But for someone from Texas I'd definetly suggest they bring some pretty warm clothing. The mornings especially tend to be pretty chilly, with the afternoon warming up quite a bit.

Weekdays in May are great. Go in early May - yeah it may be colder but there are far less crowds. Sundays in May are pretty good too.

But I would warn you around late May or early June - Muffleheads. Big black furry "flies" that are everywhere and will be squished and splatted all over you after riding just about any coaster (I killed 37 on TTD on one ride alone)

But I would warn you around late May or early June - Muffleheads.

Yes, these lake flies can be quite nasty in the early part of the season on the point. If you are a screamer on coasters, I would recommend covering your mouth before you scream, especially near dusk when they really seem to come out!

As far as my experiences in the early part of the season, I have always had poor luck with the weather, unfortunately. Seems like it is always raining any weekend I think about making the trek out. We have even driven out hoping for the best only to have it rain the entire weekend. Like everyone has said, it is a crap shoot, even if the weather sites are calling for rain or sun. That is why we usually do Halloweekends now as it is usually decent (if not chilly) weather and the crowds have been light for the most part.

Definitely plan on bringing a windbreaker and a sweater and I would not count on doing Snake River Falls, Thunder Canyon, or Soak City!

But I would warn you around late May or early June - Muffleheads.

Yes, these lake flies can be quite nasty in the early part of the season on the point. If you are a screamer on coasters, I would recommend covering your mouth before you scream, especially near dusk when they really seem to come out!

Definitely plan on bringing a windbreaker and a sweater and I would not count on doing Snake River Falls, Thunder Canyon, or Soak City!

Haha, This is so true!! On my first ride on Dragster I was riding front row and screamin like a Mofo!! One those bugs flew into my mouth and I actually ate the darn thing! I got off and said,"I think I just ate a bug". Someone overheard and said, "It happens"! How funny!

I also planned on Soak City, but it was too cold for me to get wet!

Haha, This is so true!! On my first ride on Dragster I was riding front row and screamin like a Mofo!! One those bugs flew into my mouth and I actually ate the darn thing! I got off and said,"I think I just ate a bug".

Yes, I also admit my warning was from past experiences!

May in Ohio is best time of year, mid 60s to low 70s, but by Lake Erie theres always a breeze. As far as crowds go any day in May or early June is perfect, only locals go then. Even if it is busy the lines are always quick as most rides have a very high compacity. May, in my opinion, is the best time to visit Ohio.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so you guys have talked us into it... we have decided to go in May

Anybody have any links so we can read up on trip planning.. where to stay, what's the best order to ride stuff, anything else we should check out while in the area, etc.

Also, anybody know when 'physics day' is this year, or how I can find out?

Anybody have any links so we can read up on trip planning.. where to stay, what's the best order to ride stuff, anything else we should check out while in the area, etc.

I would say that the best place to start would be the Cedar Point website, but there are a lot of other Cedar Point fan related websites as well. Just Google Cedar Point and you will get more results than you can possibly handle!

As far as when to ride stuff, it would depend on if you are staying at the Cedar Point resorts that open an hour early for guests. If you go for that option, I would hit up as many of the "early open" rides as you can, except Maverick. Reason I say this is that twice I have used the early-in to get on Maverick and twice it has broke down and I ended waiting an hour anyway. Could be related to the launches like TTD, but not sure. I would suggest going for Millenium, Raptor, Skyhawk, MaxAir or anything else that is open instead. If you are not staying at a CP resort, then I would suggest hitting the back of the park first and work your way back to the front if you get there at 10:00 AM.

If you have an extra day or two in the area, I would suggest to hop a car or speed ferry in Port Clinton (or Sandusky) and head for Put-In Bay. It is a nice boat ride to the biggest of the Lake Erie Islands. There are bike and golf cart rentals when you get off the boat, or you can take a bus/trolley into town and just walk around for a while. The town tends to get a lot of rowdy partiers at the bars, but there are other parts of the island where you can escape that are quite tranquil. Not knowing your preferences or age, I would suggest you rent the golf cart and you can pretty much spend an entire day cruising around the island at your own leisure.

Here are a couple of pics of the island atop Perry's Monument that I took a couple of years ago...

Edit - If you are going in May, Put-In Bay might not be as crowded with college kids, but I am not sure what all would be open before Memorial Day. I would recommend looking at ferry schedules and their websites online if you decide to go...

P7030054.JPG.f844b8a5989153480108f126f4c2bad3.JPG

The center of town. Note - this can get rowdy with drunken college kids in the summer! But if you like to party, hey...you'll fit right in!

P7030050.JPG.43337717ac8fff1a18ae513b1d6c37a5.JPG

This area was more for locals with summer homes.

P7030048.JPG.1a41d5407ba8f7053bee35f8a5da4d4b.JPG

A nice lakefront hotel with pool below.

P7030046.JPG.53592e824a68eada16870e46477e648b.JPG

Marina area.

As far as when to ride stuff, it would depend on if you are staying at the Cedar Point resorts that open an hour early for guests. If you go for that option, I would hit up as many of the "early open" rides as you can, except Maverick. Reason I say this is that twice I have used the early-in to get on Maverick and twice it has broke down and I ended waiting an hour anyway. .

Both days I had last May Maverick was fine, and we managed to get two quick rides in before heading off to MF.

If Maverick is on early entry, you really should head back to it anyways, and then continue on to MF,etc. If it happens to break down, then just head off to one of the other open rides.

Moderate-to-light crowds at Cedar Point means you'll only wait 3 hours for major coasters, instead of 5 hours.

Oh, and like Larry says, avoid Physics Day.

This is the most accurate statement in this thread. In the early summer fo 2007, I did a mini-Midwest trip as a graduation present. We did HW, PKI, GL, CP and MiA. All of the parks were completely empty (even HW on a Saturday and PKI on a Sunday) except for CP. We were there during the week (Tuesday and Wednesday), and it was completely packed.

In one day (9am-10pm, we stayed on park), I only got 14 rides in (including flats). MF was 1.5 to 2 hours, Maverick was 2 hours, TTD was 1.5 hours, and Raptor had it's entire queue full and was spilling out onto the midway (which is over 1.5 hours I'm sure). This was the last week of May/first week of June, and not during any special events. It was just ridiculous, and pretty much put me off from visiting CP anytime in the near future.

Don't get me wrong, I like the park (I've been 4 times), but the lines are insane when you compare it to other places.

Moderate-to-light crowds at Cedar Point means you'll only wait 3 hours for major coasters, instead of 5 hours.

Oh, and like Larry says, avoid Physics Day.

This is the most accurate statement in this thread. In the early summer fo 2007, I did a mini-Midwest trip as a graduation present. We did HW, PKI, GL, CP and MiA. All of the parks were completely empty (even HW on a Saturday and PKI on a Sunday) except for CP. We were there during the week (Tuesday and Wednesday), and it was completely packed.

In one day (9am-10pm, we stayed on park), I only got 14 rides in (including flats). MF was 1.5 to 2 hours, Maverick was 2 hours, TTD was 1.5 hours, and Raptor had it's entire queue full and was spilling out onto the midway (which is over 1.5 hours I'm sure). This was the last week of May/first week of June, and not during any special events. It was just ridiculous, and pretty much put me off from visiting CP anytime in the near future.

Don't get me wrong, I like the park (I've been 4 times), but the lines are insane when you compare it to other places.

Depends on when you go. The crowds start to show in late May/early June, but in early May (after science week) you literally have the park to yourself and EVERYTHING is a walk-on...especially on a cold and cloudy day.

I've been in May... and riding is great, as most everyone has mentioned.

However, you might get the impression that the park isn't quite ready by going so early in the season.

The park's usually-wonderful gardens and flowers will probably just be mounds of dirt, as the park tends to wait out the last of the spring frost.

I'm not sure, but I think a lot of the shows start about a month into the season, so you may miss some of that.

I'm not sure if they still do the morning parade or not, but I would suspect that it may not run until school is out.

Parades?

Flowers?

Yeah, so big deal... they still serve chili fries and all the rides are running!

Yeah, so big deal... they still serve chili fries and all the rides are running!

Well, running somewhat. Ride closures and break downs are more frequent the earlier you go as they work out the kinks.

The way the holidays work this year, the May long weekend in Canada is the 16th/17th/18th, being opening weekend and physics day on the Monday. That's the weekend I always go, so hopefully it's not too crazy busy due to opening weekend or physics day.