TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point in May, a good idea?

Hey guys,

I am going to be making a trip to Cedar Point this year, and for various logistical reasons on my end, wanted to try to do it in May. I see on their website that the park opens this season on May 16, 2009. I wanted to ask those of you who live in the area and/or have gone that time of the year a couple of questions:

1. Does anybody know when summer vacation starts in that area? It would be nice to go on a weekday, while all the kids are still in school.

2. What's the weather like that time of year? Being from south Texas, I am concerned that it might be a little chilly. And I mean chilly by Texas standards hehe

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To answer your questions:

1. Besides on Saturdays, the crowds are not all that big until late June into July. If you were to go on a weekday during May, lines will be very short. Most schools don't get out until early June.

2. May can really vary. Sometimes it is 70 degrees, sometimes it is 40 degrees. As people say around here, "If you don't like the weather in Ohio, wait five minutes".

Do you guys think going on the 18th or 19th would be too soon after opening day, in regards to how crowded it will be?

The next weekend would be Memorial Day weekend, which will surely jack up the prices of flights and hotel fares, so I'm thinking the 3rd week in May would be the best time to strike.

I typically go the weekend before Memorial day every year, as that weekend is the May long weekend in Canada.

The crowds are always fairly light. The weather though can be iffy. Though the last few years the weather's been pretty decent.

But it will be chilly by your standards, so make sure to bring some warm clothing. Even if it's semi warm that day, the park being right on the water can result in some cool winds. And if it's slightly cool on the ground, it will typically be cold and windy once you get on a ride.

From what I've read on www.thepointol.com school gets out between May 31st and June 6.

It also says that crowds are moderate to light during the dates you are going.

I'd definitely say it's a good time to go. I went to CP this past summer, June 16-20 and crowds were very light.

Maverick, Millennium, Dragster, and Disaster Transport all had between 30 mins. to an hour wait. Raptors line got long also, but I waited till the evening and it was a 20 min. wait. All other rides were walk ons.

Get there early and/or leave late and you'll be fine.

The weather was unexpected for me, I'm coming from Texas as well.

It was chilly at night and very nice during the day when the sun was out. When the storm clouds rolled in for us it was cold. Take a sweatshirt or windbreaker. It is pretty chilly up there on Dragster and Millie.

Well hope this helps. Have fun!!!

On the Midwest trip Robb warned us about the clothes we would need to pack for Cedar Point. According to him the park has it's own weather system. When we got there we found out how right he was. It was the middle of August, when all of a sudden a downpour of rain hits and a tornado cloud whirled above us(ended up touching ground about an hour's drive away from the park)

In other words - don't count on Cedar Point weather to be ANYTHING. I'd pack both a warm coat and a bathing suit if I were you.

It also says that crowds are moderate to light during the dates you are going.

Moderate-to-light crowds at Cedar Point means you'll only wait 3 hours for major coasters, instead of 5 hours.

All joking aside, May in general should be a great time to go to Cedar Point. Light crowds and the weather should be fine aside from a few freak thunderstorms. You're going to Ohio, not the Arctic Circle. Don't pack for a ski trip, just bring some sweat shirts and what not in case it gets chilly in the evening. And it'll probably be pants weather throughout.

Oh, and like Larry says, avoid Physics Day.

We went this year to CP on Monday and Tuesday the 3rd week of May. We were able to get on all coasters on Monday.

During the morning ERT ride MF and Maverick.

Ride TTD the last hour of the day. We were able to have 2 rides on TTD during the last half an hour, while waiting line was + 1 hour most of the day. Avoid going to TTD just after opening as they don't do full trains (they build it up every 5-10 minutes or so with 2 more persons per train so waiting takes forever during the first operating hour.

We were quite lucky with the weather it seems as we had 2 days of sun and temperature was approx 65°F if I remember well.

The weather was unexpected for me, I'm coming from Texas as well.

It was chilly at night and very nice during the day when the sun was out. When the storm clouds rolled in for us it was cold. Take a sweatshirt or windbreaker. It is pretty chilly up there on Dragster and Millie.

And that was in mid June, when the weather is nicer. May is a bit more unpredictable.

I've had days at CP in May when it's barely above freezing. But I've also had days in May where it's been pretty warm during the day.

Average temperatures for Sandusky on May 18th and 19th are between 49 and 70 degrees (Weatherunderground.com). During the day should be nice but the evening will be chilly. My cousin lives in Houston and Ohio weather is cold for her in July so May will be chilly for you. I live about 45 minutes from the park and always love going on weekdays in May. Very short lines. Have fun!

Yes, I would say that you will be able to get on all the coasters opening day. I always do, well of course except Mean Streak and Corkscrew, because I like to walk upright and usually avoid these two. Of course if you can get in early with a hotel pass or a Platinum pass, ride Maverick and MF during that hour. If you go to the gate by Magnum, you should be able to get on maverick, MF and then just be getting to Raptor (yes it is a hike) just when the bulls run. then Wicked Twister, which at that time you should be able to get a few rides on right away. If there all day, then ride TTD last ride of the day. Magnum should have a very short line most if not all day as will Gemini.

Thanks for all the great info, guys

I talked to my dad about (who will be going with me) and we're still not sure. If it's 60 or above and sunny during the day, that would be alright, but it would suck if it was 40 and we're freezing our butts off. seems like it would be gamble.

Our next optimal time would be during the 3rd week of August. Better weather, but more crowds.

Definitely go in May in the middle of a school week! Mostly everything is usually a 15 minute wait or less. And once June hits, the crowds get bigger and bigger =/

Cedar Point is my home park, so i've figured out all the best days to go

Oh, & the weather in May is much more comfortable as opposed to June/July/August. Maybe just a light jacket at most.

Yea avoid the Park after July 4th through the end of August. You will be looking at full queue lines for just about every ride in the park. The first 4-6 weeks of operations are the best for light crows, except for Saturday. Operations can be a little shaky the first couple weeks as the coasters need to be broken into every year after the off season, but downtime will be very minimal. May rain can creep up on the park with out notice sometimes, and we all know CP's rain policy can be frustrating, but they will have rides up and running as fast and as much as possible. Their policy is to keep rides open as much as they can. Defiantly stay in a resort if you can. They may not be High caliber resorts, but the hour extra in the morning will save you tons of time. Maverick will have the longest like ALL day, so hit it up during ERT if you stay at a resort. If you don't do ERT I usually do Maverick first thing but the line should never be longer than an hour and a half in May (Unless its Saturday).

If you come on a excellent day in may you can walk on or wait no more than 30 mins for everything and get a ton of riding in. Crews never slow their pace no matter the crowd. They will keep people moving so you don't have to wait nearly as long. Some of the hardest working crew in the amusement industry! And I don't just say that cause I am a part of it

Last year I organized a small trip for 6 up to the park for the second weekend it was open, going to the park on Friday evening (Starlight tickets) and Saturday.

Friday afternoon alone, we hit 11 coasters, 2 big flats, and rerides on Maverick and Millie. It even spritzed a bit of precipitation on Friday, but nothing closed down.

Go for it, and have fun!

I go every year during opening week. Schools are still in so you should be good, just watch out for Physics day...made that mistake two years ago, wasn't fun at all. You literally have the park to yourself, there is NO ONE there. Weather can vary, I've gone when it was 40s and raining, and other times it was 70s and sunny, I'd say bring pants and a jacket/hoodie, though. If I were you, I'd take advantage of the package they offer, you can find details on their site under reservations. They may not have them posted yet.