TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Making a Magazine [FINISHED PDF ON PAGE 2! Finally...]

Hey there,

I'm making a 20 page magazine for a class of mine (I'm a junior majoring in communication design [illustration, advertising, graphics and interactive]) and I have have a travel/culture theme. It's only 20 pages because it is an example of layouts and such that you would show to a company when promoting the concept of the magazine. So, being the good boyfriend I am, I decided to do a magazine about European Amusement Parks to learn more about my significant lover's hobby - because, honestly - I know nothing about rollercoasters and theme parks and all of that.

Luckily, someone directed me to this site, and suggested I join and ask around for some help from some experts.

My concept is a quarterly magazine where readers can get info about current parks, upcoming events, new rides, reviews, etc.

Things I'd like to know are:

What kind of things would you like to see in this type of magazine?

What kinds of reviews?

What kinds of departments? (such as food, advice, travel, etc)

Also, I would like to ask if anyone has any of their own photos from European parks that I might be able to use? Preferably full sized right from the camera.

Thanks for your help, if you have any questions about what I'm doing and all, just ask. I have been looking things up all week and I really don't even know where to start right now haha.

Edited by InnuendoPanda

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, being the good boyfriend I am, I decided to do a magazine about European Amusement Parks to learn more about my significant lover's hobby - because, honestly - I know nothing about rollercoasters and theme parks and all of that.

I'm totally intrigued! Tell us a bit more about what your significant other is into, what types of parks, coasters, etc. What kind of knowledge you hope to gain - for example, do you want to know specific details about who makes what coasters, do you want a better understanding about why parks make certain business decisions, etc.

I normally would get a little frustrated with people who post about "help me do my classwork" but this seems a bit different. I like that you have two items on your agenda: Class Project and 'get to know your lover better.'

That's cool.

So what do you say TPR, should we help him out?

--Robb

Intreguing...

If I were to pick up a magazine about parks etc. I'd be looking for the following:

A 'major' article on ONE park in depth- that is, it's history, it's rides, it's layout, food options, shows, etc. that was very thorough in coverage.

A few 'minor' articles on particular rides/shows/attractions that are noteworth.

Select news on future attractions of note, as well as changes in the amusement industry.

Being an Airline person, I find the best magazine that addresses things like this is "Airline World" magazine, from the UK. It's got all of the above- and is easily readable about the Airlines. I reccommend picking it up- as it could give you a clue to how I like my information presented to me.

I'm totally intrigued! Tell us a bit more about what your significant other is into, what types of parks, coasters, etc. What kind of knowledge you hope to gain - for example, do you want to know specific details about who makes what coasters, do you want a better understanding about why parks make certain business decisions, etc.

I normally would get a little frustrated with people who post about "help me do my classwork" but this seems a bit different. I like that you have two items on your agenda: Class Project and 'get to know your lover better.'

He definitely doesn't like things that spin. I learned that the hard way haha.

I want to know what kinds of things you guys would like to see in this type of magazine.

Since I don't know too much about the topic yet, I don't know exactly what should appear.

The thing I think I'm going to have the most trouble with is Photos. But that seems to be common throughout the class since no one has been to Europe.

And don't worry, I'm not asking you to do the project for me haha, I'm just asking for some input from people who know more about the topic than myself, and hopefully find someone who has photos I might be able to use.

My thoughts are to use 24 pages as your mock-up. 4 for the cover pages and 20 inside. You probably need to set aside 5 pages (plus the 3 covers) for ads and one page for the Table of Contents. That leaves you 14 pages for edit.

I would set aside a total of 6 edit/picture pages for a feature on one park. That feature should be real in depth mentioning the park's coasters, unique rides, tips to navigate the park, suggested places to eat and local accomodations.

Remaining 8 edit pages.

2 pages on new attractions throughout Europe

1 page letter from publisher/masthead

2 page interview with an industry expert

1 page for upcoming events

Remaining 2 pages - well, I can't do the whole project for you.

Good Luck

My thoughts are to use 24 pages as your mock-up.

I actually said the same thing, but we have to follow the assignment.

The actual order will go:

front cover, contents, contents, masthead & ad, department 1, ad, dept2, dept 3 spread, feature article 1 spead 1, feature 1 spread 2, feature 2 spread, dept 4 spread, dept 5 (will be an end page, like what national geographic does), ad, back cover.

Thanks for the input so far!

Intreguing...

If I were to pick up a magazine about parks etc. I'd be looking for the following:

A 'major' article on ONE park in depth- that is, it's history, it's rides, it's layout, food options, shows, etc. that was very thorough in coverage.

A few 'minor' articles on particular rides/shows/attractions that are noteworth.

Select news on future attractions of note, as well as changes in the amusement industry.

I'd second that, it sounds like a pretty decent structure.

If you were looking for anything inparticular as far as new rides being built goes, try Saw:The Ride at Thorpe Park, UK, due to open in March. In the UK there are relatively strict planning laws you have to adhere to, so there are loads of blueprints available, and also constuction photos from various sources which I'm sure you'd be able to use. The ride has heavy theming which might make the photos more interesting than just some track going up. Whilst your magazine would be aimed at enthusiasts it might make more interesting reading for your tutor.

Official Saw:TR site The ride has a blog with loads of information which would be suitable for your magazine such as stats and photos etc.

You can get full size blueprints from another website (the local council planning department), if this is of interest to you let me know and I will find it.

is there any way I can get the originals of the photos if I want to use them? (and yes, credit will be cited in the magazine)

"Originals"? I hope you mean, like, not resized. Cuz, personally, I wouldn't know a dark room from a butter churn.

As for story ideas, I've always thought Europa Park was pretty interesting, what with the whole "owned by a ride manufacturer (Mack) who uses it as a kind of showroom" angle. They're building a new ride, too: Blue Fire

Ok, so based on what you guys have told me, and what I have so far, this is how my layout is looking:

Dept 1 - Editor's Letter

Dept 2 - Travel Tips for the Season

Dept 3 (spread) - Admissions this year

Dept 4 (photo spread) - Under Construction and Coming Soon

Feature Article 1 (2 Spreads) - Europa Park Review

Feature Article 2 (1 Spread) - Must rides this year

Dept 5 - Look to the Past (old/defunct rides/parks)

Any comments?

• 1 year later...