TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

US Airways A320 crash lands in Hudson

TheHulk

I'm sure most of you have heard about this already, it's been all over the news all day. Just thought I'd start up a discussion on here about it. But really, you have to give major props to these pilots and flight crew. Setting down a large plane like that with no engine power obviously takes some pretty sharp skills, especially in the water. Lucky for everyone though, the water was cold, which kept the plane afloat.

Here's a Yahoo article in case anyone wants to read up on it. There's also some pics here as well.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/plane_in_river

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was also a plane crash about a month ago in Denver where everyone was lucky to have survived. I think there were some people from my college on that flight too.

But this specific accident sounds almost exactly like that Air Florida flight that went down in the Potomac River in Washington DC in the early 1980's right around this time of year. However, most of those on the Air Florida crash weren't so lucky.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Florida_90

Currently being in the airline industry- for a few more months at least, I know that it's an amazing thing to see any plane handled in such an amazing fashion.

First: There were survivors of a water landing. A little Aircraft Physics 101 on that one. ANY plane with engines under the wing is inherently is NOT going to land smoothly on water. The engines create an 'obsticle' under the wings, which itself can cause more damage than impact itself. The Pilot in Command deserves a great deal of kudos for being able to put the plane down in the Hudson without a fatality on that one.

Second: Cold water on a colder day: Fast response helped to keep everyody not only alive, but with minor injuries as a result.

There is a saying in the airline industry: Whenver a plane goes down, you knew somebody on it; that's not only a legend, but it's true so much. I'm thankful that every landing has been safe for me- and I pray that all the landings we all make are the same way. We were blessed on this one.

I was here in DC for when AirFlorida 90 went in- and the results were far worse. Comparisons of the two should be limited to this:

They landed in a river. Period. Both were under different circumstances- and under VERY different conditons. The big difference between the two is this: One had a VERY experienced crew, the other, a very inexperienced crew under severe adverse conditons they should NOT have every been allowed to fly in.

I'm one to belive that flying is inherently safe, as I travel around 100K miles annually by air. This proves that with the right crew, it will continue to be.

I saw the plane in the water. There were people standing on the wing of the plane and boats were taking people to the NYC side of the Hudson. It was quite alarming to see something like that, but I'm very glad to hear that there were very few fatalities.

I saw the plane in the water. There were people standing on the wing of the plane and boats were taking people to the NYC side of the Hudson. It was quite alarming to see something like that, but I'm very glad to hear that there were very few fatalities.

There weren't any at all.

Cheers to the pilot, the co-pilot and all the crew aboard.

And to everybody for behaving so well, and taking the directions given out, so fast and efficiently.

A Happy Blessed New Year to all of them!

i think, the pilot, the co-pilot and everyone of the crew did a really great job. but what about the passengers. when i heard about the crash in the news yesterday and that nobody was injured i thought by myself:

"what comes to your mind, when the captain tells you, that you have to do an emergency-landing? would you be ready, to meet god? would you stay calm or would you get nervous, hysteric?..."

i don´t think, that i would be able to board a plane for a long time, if something like that would happen to me, even if i won´t get injured.

There weren't any at all.

Oh, sorry, by fatalities, I meant any people who required medical care, because I heard there were a few cases of hypothermia.

The most amazing thing about the story that I witnessed was during CNN's broadcast sometime around 5:30-6ishpm. As they were reviewing pictures of the passengers exiting the plane, a foreign reporter (sounded British, but I can't say for sure) was commenting on what the viewer at home was seeing on the screen. The play-by-play went something like this (forgive me, I'm paraphrasing):

"Now you'll see here that the passengers (using a telestrator, circles them) appear to be standing on the water. This is actually where the wing would be located in relation to the fuselage. So they are just standing on the wing on the downed plane, and not, as it would seem, standing on the water."

REALLY??? You actually just said that?

Journalism at its finest.

OMG this was totally insane. Someone from my office saw it going down and then from 3:40 on through the rest of the day, I had CNN on my PC. All I could do was watch, no volume. I was mesmerized to say the least.

Sully, (as the capt is called) was the most amazing pilot! Kudos to him, and all the rescuers that immediately responded and helped keep the hypothermia to a minimum! Amazing work. Ditching was definitely the safest option all the way around!

Living in NY... and always flying from LaGuardia (my next trip in July)... I have a feeling that it will be hard for me to get on the plane feeling 100% good about it. I usually am nervous to begin with. Though, I will do it anyway. I know that air travel is definitely safer than driving, which I do every day. I feel that if you are meant to die by a plane, you do not have to be on one. It will crash into you... so live life to its fullest and do like Mike!