TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SFDK Crowds

I did a search here but couldn't find a dedicated SFDK thread.

Could someone give me some idea on how the crowds will be at SFDK in late February?

I am planning a trip to Northern California at the end of February and beginning of March and want to get to Santa Cruz and Six Flags for sure. It appears that the only day to do both is February 28th because SF is closed March 1st for a private function. With this being the only operating day that week, would lines be affected?

I guess I will have to start my day early at Santa Cruz and drive to DK for the afternoon in order to get it all done. Will this be possible?

Is there anything else I shouldn't miss? I planned on Vacaville but I guess that's out now.

Thanks!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crowds will be extremely empty at both parks. It would be good to have a seperate day for each though. You only need a couple hours for Santa Cruz, but at least half a day for SFDK + the shows and animals which will make it a full day. If you're only interested in riding the coasters at both parks, you can do Santa Cruz in 30 minutes-1 hour, then drive to SFDK and do their coasters in...3 hours max. I'd say. But the shows @ SFDK are pretty good, and most of them are only open earlier in the day. So maybe you could do SFDK first, then drive to Santa Cruz and do that at night.

Thanks for your reply!

I have to stay up near Sacramento that evening and will be starting near San Jose. I had hoped to do several parks but just the timing of my trip at this time of year won't allow. (Gilroy is closed, Great America is closed, and I just missed Nut Tree!)

If I start at 11AM at San Jose and get done before 12, drive up to SFDK and am riding before 2, I just want to be sure I can get everything in before 7PM closing. I assume this is the best way for me to accomplish both parks.

Is there anything else I should try to hit up in Northern California? Never been before.

^^Definitely go to San Francisco. There's a lot more stuff to do there than anywhere else in the Bay Area. And with tons of public transit in the city, I would suggest leave the car if possible. Too bad you didn't come this week because one day the weather in SF got up to 80 degrees which is really rare for SF in the winter.

I have been to San Francisco several years ago and done several touristy things. I have not, however, done any NorCal coasters. Hoping to get some credits on this trip. I appreciate the replies.

I'm hoping to work out the Saturday Santa Cruz --> DK trip and get everything done in one day.

Any others I need to hit? I will be driving to Lake Tahoe the next day.

Hello,

First of all i'd like to say that we cant wait to see you at the park. This is the first year that the park will be open this early in the season and we are excited! In the past we usually see the die hard season pass holders at opening day as well as tourist being filtered in from San Fransisco. So we don't predict the crowd to be to overwhelming. While we would love to have you all day, you could most likely get all your credits with a half day visit, though if its your first time I recommend a whole day to experience everything. At present time we hope to have all the coasters open by the 28th, though Roar and Kong may be running on one train while we finish winter rehabs. Hope this helps and feel free to ask if anything else should arise.

From myself and the rest of the Operations Crew,

Good luck and see you soon!

Noob,

Thanks for such a warm welcome I hope the weather will be the same!

I didn't even realize it will be opening day. I wasn't paying much attention to the calendar. I was just at SFMM last weekend and just assumed you were open as well.

With it being opening day, what would you suggest I do to avoid as many lines as possible?

Thanks!

I'm going to SFDK in July on the second week. Havne't decided what day we're going as its up to my aunt. Are the lineups going to be even worse at taht time? Will I even get to ride all the coasters atleast?

And is Kong smoother than say, Flight Deck at Canada's wonderland? I might have to give it a miss because heavy headbanging can give me bad migranes.

^ Not having ridden CW's Flight Deck, I can't really compare them. Kong is definitely one of the worst of the SLCs I've ridden. Last year it was running worse than ever. It's not really worth the credit if you're not into that thing. They operate all of their coasters throughout most of the year, so you should get on everything.

My suggestion is to head to Tony Hawk and Roar first, since THBS gets the biggest crowds and has the lowest capacity. If they get the second train back on Roar, that should be back to a decent capacity. Same for Kong. After riding THBS, Roar, and V2, head over and ride Medusa, Cobra, and Kong on the other end of the park. Medusa has a very high capacity which means reasonable lines tend to move pretty quickly. Boomerang is up the hill from Kong, and Roadrunner Express (kiddie coaster) is located near the back of the park.

Well the headaches/dizzyness I had on Flight Deck 2 years ago could have been from the blacking out due to high G forces, but the headbanging doesn't help. I hear taller people don't get headbanged as much, is that true? I'm like 5'3 now and I think I was 5'1 when I rode Flight Deck.

Is Boomerang smoother than Kong (despite them both being Vekomas).

I might have to skip THBS because of motion sickness. It's not worth the credit if I have to get really really sick.

I wouldn't worry at all about lines at either park, both parks should be empty in Feb. Keep in mind though SCBB is in limited operation off season, so only a handful of rides will be open. For sure Giant Dipper, maybe Hurricane if you're lucky, definitely no kiddie coaster credit for you though. With only 5 or so rides open, should blow through there in no time. Be sure though to check out the main arcade while you're there, the biggest in NorCal with some great retro classics and all the latest games if you're into that.

No other big parks open in Feb, but you can kiddie credit whore at places like Train Town, Oakland Zoo and Funderland if you're looking to rack up credits. If you're by chance into trains, try to squeeze in a ride through the redwoods in the Santa Cruz Mountains at Roaring Camp Railroad (it's on the way to SCBB):

http://www.roaringcamp.com/steam.html

For the ultimate thrill, be sure to check out the Heavenly Flyer while you're in Tahoe:

http://www.skiheavenly.com/mountain/heavenly_flyer/

Hope you have a great time!

SLY,

Since this is the first time we will be open this early in the year, I can’t really guarantee what the crowds will be like. However if you are looking to spend a half day at the park Flash Passes may be your best option (We may even have LoQ up and running ). This way you are guaranteed Tony, Roar, Kong, Boom and Medusa (No flash pass at V2) and when you’re done you can hit them again! And the less time you spend in line the more time you can spend checking out what the rest of the park has to offer.

As far as Boomerang and its "vekomaness" is concerned, I actually prefer this Boomerang to the others I have ridden, not to mention a great view of the Land side of the park. Kong, well its Kong, your typical SLC with a shiny new paint job!

I'll try to keep you updated on V2 ( My Baby ) as she comes out of rehab and opening day gets closer.

Hope this helps,

Charles

• 1 month later...

Charles and all;

Just wanted to follow up. Had a great morning at SCBB and then drove up to SFDK (by way of the Oakland Zoo and Pixieland). As I was getting to DK around 3:30, I was worried how much actual ride time I would get.

I was so impressed with the park! Every ride operating on opening day, and multiple trains running!!! There was NO ONE there. I was able to get on all 8 coasters in 1 hour and 5 minutes. This included time to get all the way around to the Boomerang and steal a kid for the Express.

Went back for rerides (walkons) on V2, Medusa, and Roar.

Thanks for all the advice and your help here. It made for an awesome day.

I love walkons!!!

SLY,

I am very happy to hear you had an awesome time at the park! We are very proud of the product this season, and there's still more to come! I'm sorry we did not have a chance to meet, maybe next time? I hope more TPR members can come and see the park this season, much has changed, and Six Flags Discovery Kingdom is a very special park amongst our brothers. I hope everyone has a great season!

MORE FLAGS! MORE FUN! SIX FLAGS!

-Charles

Looks like you had a great time!

How is Kong and Medusa? I'm going to SFDK in July and I am so excited about those two coasters! Also, do those queue line TV's as I see on Kong, do they play super annoying and repetitive safety videos? Those things tick me off..

~ Jess "Hong Kong or King Kong?" Chan

Why would you be excited about riding Kong? Canada's Wonderland has Flight Deck which is identical to Kong.

Looks like you had a great time!

How is Kong and Medusa? I'm going to SFDK in July and I am so excited about those two coasters! Also, do those queue line TV's as I see on Kong, do they play super annoying and repetitive safety videos? Those things tick me off..

~ Jess "Hong Kong or King Kong?" Chan

Why would you be excited about riding Kong? Canada's Wonderland has Flight Deck which is identical to Kong.

Surprisingly, Kong is one of the "better" SLC coasters.

Kong is better than Mind Eraser at SFA (I agree their Mind Eraser is the worst SLC I've ridden), but wasn't something I have alot of interest to reride.

You need to be excited about riding Roar.