TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Nut Tree Park Closes

I searched this and did not see this posted yet.

VACAVILLE, CA - The revamped Nut Tree amusement park on Interstate 80 has closed again.

The Nut Tree first opened as a fruit stand in 1921, adding a pumpkin patch, restaurant-gift shop and train rides over the years. Facing dwindling popularity and competition from nearby restaurants and outlet stores, the mainstay restaurant closed in the late 1990s and the huge landmark Nut Tree sign beckoning travelers was taken down.

The Nut Tree reopened as Nut Tree Family Park in October 2006, next to a shopping complex that had gone up. The Nut Tree's owner hired an amusement park consulting and managing company in 2008 to improve business. However, the owner announced Tuesday the current economic climate and weak attendance has been too much to overcome and Nut Tree Family Park was shutting its doors.

www.news10.net/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=53245&provider=top

There are some pictures on the news website. And a really great news clip that has another clip after it that tell a great deal of history of the park. Real Sad its closing.

Or see Big Mike's Trip Report here.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that is sad to see!

Seems like a lot of the smaller parks that I have been visiting are going under, and some bigger ones too like Celebration City.

I am glad to have experienced these before it was too late, it makes for good memories!

Peace, Big Mike

I'm glad we got there a few weeks ago. The park really was charming. It was a great children's park.

Edit: I just realized that our TR was from the last week the park was opened, since we visited on December 26th and the park last operated on New Years Day. I'm glad we decided to stop there on the way to SFDK!

Interesting to see this place's season pass prices cost more than most Six Flags parks'...

Nonetheless, looks like a nice little family park, and it's always sad to see any amusement park close!

That's really too bad. I hope they can manage to pull through somehow, but I doubt it. I'd been kind of wondering how long it was going to be before we'd get word that some of the smaller parks were in trouble with this current economy.

On a somewhat related note (struggling small parks), has there been any news about the future of Gilroy Gardens? That park hadn't been doing very well even before the recession we're now in. For the time being, I'll take no news as good news, but it wouldn't surprise me to hear if it was also having hard times.

As much of a shame as it is that the Nut Tree Park is closing, it would be even worse (to me at least) to see Gilroy Gardens close. It really is a very beautiful small park and a distinctly different type of park experience.

That sucks really really bad.

My sentiments exactly

Read this on Screamscape this morning and my heart just hit the floor. Glad to hear some of you got to enjoy it all before this happened, really was a charming unique little park.

I think they were relying way too much on nostalgia and mall traffic to get people in the gate. Other than the big media coverage of the grand opening, never once saw a commercial or billboard or heard any radio adds promoting the park. The anchor mega-strip mall was nothing unique enough to bring passing freeway interest like the original roadside attraction did, just the same cloned super stores and restaurants you can find everywhere else. The quirky unique shops and restaurants of the original park were the main draw in it's heyday, without those or any type of park promotion and it's no wonder nobody went there.

Very sad to loose another NorCal park and Miler's very last coaster too, love some of their wicked little rides more than most newer B&M's!. Whoever ends up with Harvest Express is dam lucky

Since the final weekend was covered by packfanlv's great TR, here's a look back at opening weekend with some additional pics of the little touches that made this park unique.

RIP Nut Tree, and thanks for the good times

• 6 months later...

Sounds as if Nut Tree will live on, sorta!

Westrust plans to bring back original elements of and relocate key elements of the family amusement park, including the Nut Tree Train, Carousel, and historic Ice Cream Pavilion to the Hackberry Tree area of the retail center. Construction on this project began last month and is planned for completion this August. The center will also host events and feature a museum.

Can only hope they'll also move the Miler, but it was definitely more of a family sized coaster than a compact kiddie, so there might not be room for it in the new downsized park. At least the classic original train ride will be resurrected yet once again!