TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Quassy Amusement Park Discussion Thread

Per Amusement Today, Quassy is upgrading their current swinging ship with a better one in 2020. It will be from SBF Visa and be called Tidal Wave.

MIDDLEBURY, Conn. – Quassy Amusement & Waterpark’s ship is about to come in!

The lakeside property will introduce Tidal Wave, a thrilling family ride that incorporates a huge clipper-like themed vessel suspended on a swinging pendulum that soars more than 30 feet into the air.

1742876153_TidalWave.JPG.f0e00a593281bff8dd7922a7cf85160f.JPG

“We’re certainly excited about bringing this new attraction in for next season,” said Quassy President Eric Anderson. “It will replace the Pirate ship, which has been at the park since our centennial in 2008.”

Currently being built by SBF/Visa Group in Italy, Tidal Wave will have a capacity of 32 persons with eight rows of bench seats to accommodate up to four guests each.

As the ship swings back-and-forth, it gains momentum and height, creating the sensation of weightlessness at its highest point. The colorful attraction will also feature a state-of-the-art LED (light emitting diode) lighting system that will illuminate the ride towers and pendulum as well as the entrance area.

“Our other new rides installed in recent years all have LEDs and we’ve added the computerized lights to a number of other existing rides and attractions in the park,” Anderson said of the energy-savingfixtures.

New Rides From Manufacturer

Tidal Wave also marks the sixth new ride from SBF/Visa Group that Quassy has purchased over the past decade.

“We really like the build, looks and repeat ridership in our SBF/Visa lineup,” the park official asserted. “They’ve been in the business for more than 50 years and have a very diverse catalog of equipment with hundreds in installations worldwide.”

Quassy’s first SBF/Visa ride was introduced in 2010, when the park embarked on a multi-year capital improvement plan. Free Fall’N, a 33-foot family drop tower, was ordered in November of 2009 at International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions (IAAPA) Expo and delivered the following March, prior to the park’s April opening.

“Free Fall’N is as popular today as it was when we first opened it,” Anderson said of the thrill ride that holds 12 guests and plunges them during a series of drops more than 30 feet above the midway.

First In All Of New England

During the 2014 IAAPA Expo in Orlando, Fla., the park held a press conference at the SBF/Visa booth to announce another new ride for the upcoming season.

Called FRANTIC, the attraction was said be the first of its kind in all of New England as riders would do a series of 360-degree flips while seated facing outward in a circular configuration.

“Needless to say, FRANTIC was an immediate hit with our guests, and offered a new and thrilling ride experience like we’d never had before at Quassy,” Anderson said of the attraction that made its debut the following spring. The park also installed SBF/Visa kiddie bumper cars near the new major ride, filling a void for young park goers.

Another First

Quassy announced in the fall of 2015 the purchase of Reverse Time, a spinning oscillating ride that would be introduced for the 2016 season. It would be the first Reverse Time ride in all of North America and the park – again – took advantage of the opportunity of officially announce the acquisition at the IAAPA Expo in Orlando.

“We had executives from SBF/Visa and Rides4U holding backward clocks when the press corps showed up for the announcement,” Anderson recalled. “It made for some interesting photos with a banner of the new ride as a backdrop.”

Rides 4 U of Somerville, N.J., represents SFB/Visa in the United States and Canada.

In 2017 the park ushered in a new kiddieland area on the lakefront, which included Skipper’s Clippers, an SBF/Visa piece with mini pirate ships that have interactive functions for children. Adults can participate on the attraction with their youngsters.

• 1 year later...

Stopped by for an hour on my ride home from Great Adventure. Got two backseat rides on Wooden Warrior. This little thing is always so shockingly fun and filled with some great ejector air moments. It might only be 35 feet tall but you're out of your seat 5 or 6 times and those Gravity Group restraints allow you to fly.

I also took a spin on the Yo-Yo, a ride I had not ridden in probably 15-20 years. While it looks like a poor man's Wave Swinger, the seats rock back and forth like crazy when it goes around the tilted aide and actually starts getting a bit wild!

Parking lot and field were filled. Wooden Warrior had a 5-6 train wait, flats mostly had a 1 cycle wait. I think most of the crowd goes to the water park. Great to see them getting a good crowd!

Didn't intend on staying long, just a quick hitter on the way home. Hitting a nice family park like that after being at a Six Flags the same day makes you appreciate the atmosphere so much more. If you're ever looping through the New England parks, you're crazy to not stop here and hit Wooden Warrior. It's only 25 minutes from Lake Compounce and you'll probably drive right by the exit anyway. And you'll really appreciate Wooden Warrior after getting bashed on Boulder Dash.

0613211858_HDR.thumb.jpg.fcf831291615f91a049fc2287d42a7ff.jpg

IMG_20210613_192110_282.thumb.jpg.6b48c9381a8fe5f50294684dbc8f9ad6.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KBrylczyk said:

Why you gotta go and do Boulder Dash dirty like that, huh?

You should be directing your anger for dirtying Boulder Dash to Lake Compounce, not me. 😆

If they finally give Boulder Dash some much needed TLC, it can reclaim its rightful position as CT's coaster king. Until then, I stand by what I said. I predict this waterslide will have more airtime, less jackhammering laterals, and a better hourly throughout than Boulder Dash. Oh, and no steady line of people with exit passes from people who got stuck on some other poorly maintained Lake Compounce ride.

43 minutes ago, Zand said:

You should be directing your anger for dirtying Boulder Dash to Lake Compounce, not me. 😆

If they finally give Boulder Dash some much needed TLC, it can reclaim its rightful position as CT's coaster king. Until then, I stand by what I said. I predict this waterslide will have more airtime, less jackhammering laterals, and a better hourly throughout than Boulder Dash. Oh, and no steady line of people with exit passes from people who got stuck on some other poorly maintained Lake Compounce ride.

Glad I’m not the only one, Boulder Dash absolutely f*cking stunk on my rides back in May. It was probably my favorite wooden coaster not named El Toro before that but my lord was it running like complete trash.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

On Saturday my son and I stopped by Quassy for the first time. What a little gem this place is. We didn't stay long as we were doing the Quassy-Compounce-SFNE trifecta on the day, but the 90 minutes or so we were there will definitely be something I am looking to expand upon by including the water park in a future visit. Wooden Warrior was something I thought would be pretty good and it still exceeded my expectations. Why haven't these Gravity Group "family" woodies spread to the big chains yet? It is a great ride, probably the third best we experienced on the whole day. I took two rides, one in the back and one in the front. The front was slightly better overall, I thought, but it definitely neutered the first drop and airtime hill. My eleven year old son snagged a third ride when I very briefly got stuck on a work phone call. 

We also credit whored and rode the archaic kiddie coaster too since there was no one around it to make us feel shamed, so that was fun. We rarely get the kiddie credits! I had no idea where we were in our counts so it was a fun little nugget when we got home the next day and updated his. Riding the kiddie coaster at Quassy made Superman at SFNE his 100th. It would have been The Riddler Revenge (still wtf with that name) otherwise.

Wooden Warrior was one of the surprises of our big New England trip last month. I had heard great things about it, but I always try to temper my expectations when that happens. It did not disappoint, though. Incredible airtime all the way through. It was also the first time we had ridden on Timberliners and man they were comfy! Definitely hope to see more of these GG family woodies get built.

• 9 months later...

So we are going to be in the area in a few weeks and will be visiting Quassy and Lake Compounce on 7/22. Planned on doing Quassy first and then LC. Dining question..........eat lunch at Quassy and dinner at LC OR both meals at LC OR eat lunch in between at some cool, recommended local place? Or doesn't matter because it's all typical theme park food? Anything unusual about either park I need to know about? Going to post this on the LC thread too as this one doesn't seem to get much action, lol.