TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Quassy Amusement Park Discussion Thread

^ I forgot about the one that they added at Silverwood as you don't see too many TR's from there, unfortunately. Didn't know that that one was almost as big as the Huss giant frisbee...my God, if that wouldn't be vomit inducing!

I stopped by Quassy on Saturday from 3:30 to close (6pm). It was a beautiful day and the parking lot was totally full up to the grass when I arrived. It was $40 carload day which is a great deal: parking plus all day ride bands for everyone in the car. Waited about 15min for an excellent lap on WW. It was running much faster than any of my previous visits, which were all chilly fall evenings last year. Even more confident now that this is the highest fun/lb. coaster in the world.

Next headed over to Frantic and ended up waiting five cycles, about a half hour, thanks to some parent-sponsored line jumping by a whole flock of very small children-things.

So yes, Frantic's cycle is about 25 rotations in a single direction. What's cool is that each program has sensitivity to initial randomness and is thus unique. Ride to ride, it takes slightly differing numbers of swings to first go a full 360, and the first full 360 can swing around at the top in any of a large range of speeds, and in either direction. IE, some rides gave intense hang time, some less so.

What is additionally awesome is that the rotation of the seating gondola against the arm has high variability built in to break up repetitiveness. The result is that for entire 25-spin cycle you are continually experiencing new views and forces. It really didn't get boring at all. Definitely a good addition for the park, I think it will remain one of their most popular rides.

That said, I was happy to spend the rest of the day marathoning walk-on rides on Warrior instead of risking another long wait for a Frantic reride. As always, Quassy provided a very fun few hours.

• 1 month later...

They do have room for a decent steel coaster, nothing giant though. It would definitely be on the smaller side if that's what they are getting. I believe the park mentioned they wanted a steel coaster since they removed mad mouse.

Quash has officially announced a huge expansion to their water park along with several other new additions to the park!

Quassy Amusement & Waterpark here will more than double the number of waterslides at Splash Away Bay over the next several seasons, park officials announced today. In addition, the park revealed other improvements to take place in the coming years.

The lakeside waterpark adjacent to Quassy Beach will introduce eight new slides, including what will be titled Slide City for younger children, as well as three giant slides with a combined length of more than 1,000 feet.

“We’re excited about further expanding the waterpark as it has become a venerable part of the guest experience here at Quassy,” Park President Eric Anderson said of the project.

Also, Quassy will be building a new candy shop, beach snack building and replacing some rides within the amusement area of the facility. An estimated $6 million will be reinvested into the historic lakeside park over the next five years.

The new slides will be provided by ProSlide Technology, Inc., of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. ProSlide was the vendor for the existing seven slides at the attraction, which was first introduced in 2003 as Saturation Station.

Slide City For 2016

The first phase of the expansion is targeted for opening in 2016. The Slide City project will consist of five slides adjacent to the Saturation Station interactive modular water play structure.

Two serpentine slides called KIDZ Twisters™, a two-person ProRacer ™, KIDZ Bowl 14 ™ and a KIDZ MiniRiver™ will make up the Slide City area. Four of the slides will end in shallow troughs while the bowl unit will gently send riders along the wall of a circular-shaped landing prior to exiting.

Big Slides, Huge Thrills

The larger slides, projected for opening in 2017, will be located in an area now occupied by picnic tables on the north side of the property.

The largest of the three giant slides will be a TantrumTWIST™. The patented funnel shape flushes riders up the TANTRUM™ walls, oscillates each tube multiple times and generates the suspended-weightlessness sensation that is unique to ProSlide funnel rides. After dropping into the funnel, riders are swept up the wall to the equator line, which is actually perpendicular to the ground. The ride creates the illusion of going over the edge keeps even the craziest thrill enthusiasts returning for more.

Two gigantic PIPEline™ serpentine slides will round out the three-ride attraction. The new slides will all depart from one platform and conclude in runoff troughs near Saturation Station.

“ProSlide is extremely proud to be the trusted partner to Quassy Amusement Park for every one of the waterslides at Splash Away Bay. We are thrilled to be working again with the Quassy team to add brand new guest experiences to Splash Away Bay and more than double the number of rides over the next few years,” said Phil Hayles, vice president business development, ProSlide Technology.

Old-Time Taffy Pull

The existing popcorn concession near the Grand Carousel will be razed to make way for a new candy shop featuring a taffy manufacturing operation from yesteryear.

“We have purchased a taffy puller (machine) and wrapping machine that will not only provide great candy, but are also entertaining to watch,” said George Frantzis II, a park owner. “The wrapping machine dates back to around 1915 and has been completely restored by an industry expert.”

“This will be the same type of operation you see at many boardwalk locations that have produced taffy for years,” he added. “Guests will be able to mix flavors into a take-home package and we are also planning to do online sales.”

A variety of taffy flavors will be served up in the shop along with a full line of assorted confectionary goodies, popcorn, and other novelty items.

The taffy set-up will likely be operational in the existing popcorn stand before the new building goes up within the next few years

The planned two-story structure will house a human resources office and training room on the second floor.

Splash Away Bay Café & Deck

Guests at Quassy Beach and the waterpark will be able to purchase food and beverages at Splash Away Bay Café, a new lakefront structure slated to be built within the next year or two.

In addition to providing food service within the waterpark area, the café’ will feature rooftop seating on a deck overlooking Lake Quassapaug.

“We added cabana and beach lounger rentals this year, so it has become necessary for us to provide food and beverage service there for our guests,” Anderson said of the new restaurant.

Both the candy shop and lakefront café’ were designed by Andrew Peklo III of Woodbury, Conn. The local architect also created the new ticket booth and group sales/season pass buildings at the park, which are reminiscent of Quassy’s “trolley park” heritage. The ticket booth opened in 2009 while the group sales building opened in 2014.

Quassy’s Safety Department will also have a second maintenance building as part of the park’s upgrades.

“With the addition of numerous new rides and attractions over the past several years it became apparent that our maintenance staff needed more room to accomplish its work, especially in the off-season when much of the equipment is indoors,” Anderson said of the planned structure.

“We are also looking at replacing some of our older rides within the amusement area of the park,” he added. “We’ve made some marked improvements since 2010 and plan on continuing to update the rides in this ‘future blueprint.”’

image.thumb.jpg.35c4db2a7b99099179e8190918fd722e.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.19408ef71c3741ab7482d1cce5ee3fd0.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.40e5aeb0de99a187b7ff9407c9168488.jpg

It looks like ProSlide is taking a page from WhiteWater and doing the "larger diameter slide, super-tight spiral" thing.

• 1 month later...

Another teaser in from Quassy today....

This Banner Showed Up At The Park Today

….And Made Its Way To The Trabant Ride

…Appears The Clock Is Ticking Toward 2016

image005.jpg.b8f65e5dfbb93d1e370eea55c4e7b941.jpg

unnamed.jpg.b20c8e0669b8a4934ee25cb8b31ad711.jpg

Edited by robbalvey

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No, thank you! That looks absolutely insanely nauseating. Just watching that video got me slightly dizzy, actually going on one of them would probably mean my lunch is going everywhere.

I hope they keep a hose nearby when someone vomits every other cycle or so.

I was never a fan of the Trabant / Wipeout but this looks like a ton of fun.

By the way why does "Reverse Time" have a clock logo but spin clockwise? I mean, wouldn't it be the reverse... who the hell cares but just wondering. lol

Wow, it's a little bigger and much faster than I thought it would be! I always thought trabant rides were alright and pretty fun, but this really looks like something special. Between Reverse Time, Frantic, and all their family rides, Quassy is really starting to form a really strong lineup of flat rides! That's not very good for people who throw up too much, though.