TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Fast Food thread

ebl

I never thought of KFC as ghetto, but I often get the runs after eating there. What's in their food anyway?

Being the fast food junkie that I am, I go to all of them except Subway (don't care for deli sandwiches). My favorites, however, in no particular order, are In-N-Out, Carl's Jr., and Del Taco.

Eric

As a diabetic, I would expect that a lot of fast food really messes up one's system.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ It's all about being careful, regardless of whether it's fast food or the homemade kind. I do eat more fast food than I should. But with a few guidelines, I do just fine.

1. No more fries. That cuts down greatly on the dreaded carbs.

2. No sauce on burgers---especially mayo (which I can't stand anyway), dressing, etc.

3. If available, choose a wheat bun for burgers. That increases fiber (which is a carb, but has no effect on blood sugar).

4. Stick to the smaller food items, or items that are high in protein.

5. Drink only diet sodas (an obvious one for us sugar-challenged folks).

Eric

As a diabetic, I would expect that a lot of fast food really messes up one's system.

Yay! Now I don't feel like a diabetic loner on the forums!

I eat fast food occasionally, my insulin pump covers it all for me. It's usually not like Taco Bell or Jack in the Box, more like In-N-Out, and maybe Carl's Jr or McD.

[Edit]: Not like its much better for you anyway...

I never thought of KFC as ghetto, but I often get the runs after eating there. What's in their food anyway?

Since when does ghetto mean giving you the runs? That means your body does not like it.

I'm well aware of that. Since I didn't remember when I wrote that, I went back and found this post, and also discovered that this thread had been merged with another one, so I don't remember what I was responding to, being that my quote was from a few years back.

Anyway...

@ JJ728, I'm not on the pump (yet), but I do inject insulin "the old fashioned way." How much I inject depends on what my pre-meal blood sugar level is, and what I anticipate eating. If my reading is on the low side (<90), I'll inject 10 units of Humilog and then I can usually have pretty much anything, though I'm still careful and still forgo the fries.

Eric

@ JJ728, I'm not on the pump (yet), but I do inject insulin "the old fashioned way." How much I inject depends on what my pre-meal blood sugar level is, and what I anticipate eating. If my reading is on the low side (<90), I'll inject 10 units of Humilog and then I can usually have pretty much anything, though I'm still careful and still forgo the fries.

I'm on Novolog, which fills my cartridges on my pump. I bolus for a meal or snack (every time I eat) anywhere between 9 and 15 units. My A1C was 6.5, and I usually don't have to give myself much, if anything, for a blood sugar correction. The basil rates on my pump take care of a lot of that. Do you have a long term insulin like Humilin or Lantus?

P.S. A guilty fast food pleasure of mine is dipping my fries into a milkshake. It sounds gross but it is SO GOOD!!!! You have to try it, but only when your blood sugar is low. I haven't ordered something like this for months!

^ I use the Humilog (9-12 units) before each meal, and one daily shot of Lantus (30 units) in the evening. And just watch the heck what I eat and do a lot of walking. My doctor is pleased with how I'm doing. I'm awaiting my latest blood work results, but on the last one, my A1c was 7.2.

At Wendy's, when I get chicken nuggets, I don't get any of their dipping sauces---I just use the chili. And that's good stuff!

Eric

^ A visit to the ER a three-day stay in ICU, and a three-day stay in a regular room under a doctor's watchful care and some education from a certified diabetes educator will wake you up. Compared to back then, I'm in much better shape and stay on top of things. I want to be around long enough to play with my grandkids---and give them back to their mom to take 'em home!

Eric

I can't eat out much due to stomach issues, but on the occasion that I feel good enough to do it and can afford it, I love to eat at Chipotle, which mexican is probably the worst thing to eat when you have stomach problems, but I skip all the spicy bits, and ask them to put on extra rice and sour cream to die down the little spices in the chicken.

There is one good thing that has come out of these stomach problems, is it really made me realize how crappy fast food made me feel when I ate it, and how much better a home cooked meal really is, and to this day I have lost 50 pounds, and plan on losing 30 more to reach my desired weight.

Doublestuff "And when I lose that weight I can eat more oreos!" Oreo

I remember for a time that McDonald's (at least the ones near me) simply colored a vanilla shake green and called it a "Shamrock Shake." No mint flavor. That was a "sham," all right.

It's been ages since I had one, but I don't drink shakes as a rule...not even the ones from In-N-Out.

Eric

I remember for a time that McDonald's (at least the ones near me) simply colored a vanilla shake green and called it a "Shamrock Shake." No mint flavor. That was a "sham," all right.

It's been ages since I had one, but I don't drink shakes as a rule...not even the ones from In-N-Out.

Eric

The ones I had were always mint. I guess I have a reason to go to McDonalds now.

I remember one day last year, I tried to get a shamrock shake at 2 different McDonalds in my town...they had them, mind you, but BOTH of their shake machines were busted! Effing Ithaca McDonalds! This is why I almost never go to them, aside from the fact that I'm trying to get in shape.

So, my sister made a special concoction of mint chip ice cream, milk, and green food coloring for St Pattie's day, which was way better than anything I would have gotten at McDonalds.

Insulin pumps give you that opportunity to splurge. I might go into the high 100's after drinking one, but that's no biggie to bring down.

^ Actually, even before diabetes set in (2002), I didn't drink shakes very much. Odd, because I do like ice cream. When I had my wisdom teeth removed in 1996, I was on a milk shake diet for a day or two---and I went crazy despite people telling me how much I was going to enjoy it.

The good thing about being diabetic is that it has forced me to be careful about what I eat. Fast food is OK, provided I make wise choices. As indicated earlier, I've made the effort to do that.

Eric

My favourite fast food is definetly Burger King.. I know go and vomit on me. In Canada we only have the biggest fast food chains. Im still yet to try Carl's Jr, Steak N Shake, Papa Johns, Jack In The Box, Chick Fil A, In & Out, and White Castle. I really want to go to all these places but i cant Anyways I like Burger King and hate Mcdonalds. Pizza Hut is pretty good as well.

When it comes to large chain restaurants, I have two exceptions- Taco Bell and Chik Fil A. I can deal with Wendy's chili and nuggets. No McDonalds, BK, etc. unless I have absolutely no way around it. It's been over a year since I've had a McD's or BK sandwich of any sort.

It's been a LONG time since I've had a burger from Wendy's, Burger King, Five Guys, McD's, or any of those places, mainly because I want to get in shape, and keep my arteries clear. Plus, after all the food I've been making, burgers just seem tired and boring.

However, while I was in NYC visiting my sister, I got to try a Chik Fil A sandwich, which is part of what they serve in her dorm at NYU. I have to say, it was impressive for a chicken sandwich. Not the kind of thing I'd want to eat a lot, but still good.

Also, I consider Arby's from time to time. I try to avoid fried food most of the time, but I'll make exceptions for their wonderful curly fries on some occasions. Plus, I definitely enjoy their roast beef sandwiches, which to me are more moist and flavorful than most fast food burgers.

I *will* jump on specialty chains (particular to certain areas). We used to have lots of Checkers up here in Chicago (and still have one or two left IIRC, nowhere near me), so when I'm down in Tampa, I'll make sure to stop there. Portillo's in Chicagoland serves hands down the best Italian Beef Sandwich I've ever had, and probably the best burger too. If I ever find myself on the West Coast, In n Out is on my agenda just so I could compare.