TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Most memorable coaster moment of 2008?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the night ERT's on the Behemoth / East Coast TPR trip were absolutely sensational, the one's that spring to mind - Boulder Dash, Phoenix, Ravine Flyer II, Vortex/Behemoth, Silver Comet, Lightning Racer, Talon/Hydra and so on.

And the winner goes to Boulder Dash, a terrain coaster at night is amazing even if it's a coccyx crunching death rider like the Beast but a trip out in the woods on a great coaster like Boulder Dash, unbelievable.

And the spirit of that ERT session was great too, thanks to the super fun ride op who was there on his birthday, also thanks to the guy with the torch.

Unequivocally, my last-ever ride on KI's Vortex.

My best friend and his brother took me along on a trip to KI with them on June 9. Lucas (the brother) and I rode front row together, and had the smoothest ride I've ever experienced on Vortex (My friend Travis was less lucky in row 5...). As an added bonus, we discovered a quarter in our car clanking around in the loops, which Lucas covered with his foot and saved during the ride.

One month and one day after our memorable trip to KI, Lucas passed away at 17. Knowing that I will never have as enjoyable a ride nor as perfect a riding mate as I did that day, I have permanently retired from riding Vortex. Those memories of that one cycle are too pristine to taint with another ride.

Of my more conventional coaster memories, Millennium Force's back row in the rain is one of my more painfully liberating experiences. That ride (and the Maverick ride after) redeemed an otherwise lackluster and tediously crowded day at the Point.

--Luke

One month and one day after our memorable trip to KI, Lucas passed away at 17. Knowing that I will never have as enjoyable a ride nor as perfect a riding mate as I did that day, I have permanently retired from riding Vortex. Those memories of that one cycle are too pristine to taint with another ride.

--Luke

Luke,

What a touching memorable moment. I'm sorry for your loss but happy that you were able to turn such a sad life experience into a place of comfort by remembering the good times.

I have two 'Memorable memories' on roller coasters this year.

The first was while at Worlds of Fun, the Train got stuck at the top of the lift on Momba. While it was a very unique experience I didn't get to finish the ride and didn't get the credit. Suck fest!

My second was during my final trip to Dollywood of the season. It was a fun Trip with some new friends from TPR. Although the whole experience was fun, I would have to say the night ride on Thunderhead in the rain was pretty much my best coaster experience of my life.

Getting to Cedar Point for the first time since 1999. Boy that place is like coaster heaven. MF is the best intamin I have ever been on. I have to say that I enjoyed it even more than Superman at SFNE. Maverick and Dragster was almost as impressive. What a great time!

Now that I live in Ohio, I will make sure to get there once a year. However, it sucks that I wont be able to make it to SFMM or Knotts as often since I don't live there anymore. I would say it was a good trade-off though.

For me, it would definitely be ERT at Hersheypark. It was my first time doing anything with TPR. Even though I went to the park 7 or 8 times this year, nothing beats being able to ride all the coasters without getting out of my seat.

My favorite moment was probably every time I rode Evel Knievel with someone who hadn't been on it yet. Their reaction was priceless since they weren't expecting much out of the ride.

My other favorite moment was getting to ride Tennessee Tornado. I wasn't expecting much, but it ended up being my favorite ride at Dollywood.

Tatsu, my first flyer and number 2 roller coaster after Apollos Chariot, also making it my number 1 ride at the park (have not ridden x2, but have ridden x, so I don't know if its smoother)

Awesome trip to SFMM

Getting a Disneyland pass for the first time since 6trh grade and riding California Screamin at least 3 times each visit( how come such an awesome coaster never has too long of a line?)

Toy Story Mania

Two:

Standing in line (what it might have been a line for) the Canyon Blaster and hearing "Does this ride go Upside down" as the train roared through the twin loops next to the platform....

Seeing my friend's son Josh on his first trip on Whizzer- and watching his expressions of total joy wiht his father as we sped around the course, and thinking this might have been the single greatest single ride experience I've ever been on. (Not only that, it was my final ride that I needed to complete my Schwartzkopf Collection- making it that much more memorable to me!)

Ours was stopping at Lakemont between parks. The website didn't make clear their height restrictions and I never got a response from an e-mail I sent them. We have a 3 year old who was 36 inches and a 6 year old who was 46 inches. My wife and I had been before but we didn't get the kiddy coaster credit. We thought we could get that and the kids could get it also along with Leap the Dips. When we got there it had a 42 inch height restriction and a no adult policy limiting the ride to just my 6 year old. Then the crazy thing was Skyliner, Tobaggon and LTD had no height restriction if you were accompanied by an adult. So my little guy cried when he couldn't ride the kiddy coaster insisting he knew he should be able too based on other parks but he did leave with his 3 biggest credits to date. Talk about bass akwards.

My 2008 Moment(s) -

Everybody meeting up at 9:30 at a designated spot, then being led through the Liberty Arcade half way up, then through a cast members' door, in through a backstage area and eventually, into Frontierland, towards....

A sweet little half hour ERT session on Big Thunder Mountain, in Disneyland Paris! I got only two rides in, but it was so nice not having to wait and wait and wait. And it was all ours for a little while...

And it was Disney giving the TPR Tour ERT! Astounding! And Thankyou Robb and Elissa for that, too. I had been there three times before, loved the park, but knew how large the crowds got around BTM, and this was so unexpected by many of us on the tour. It was wonderful that you got this for us.

I loved that half hour in the morning, and felt it was one of The Best Moments of my year, at the time.

And - it still was for me, for 2008!

I didn't do much riding in 2008, but I'd have to say my "moment" was getting on X2 at its media day. After having my body trashed enough times by the original X, I'd pretty much sworn it off, but decided to give X2 a chance.

It is more or less the same, but the new trains do make a difference. Also, I've learned how to ride it to make the ride tolerable (the padding on the lower part of the car helps a bit).

The special effects are cool, though I don't know what happened to the fog at the bottom of the raven turns.

I even took a ride on it---willingly---on New Year's Day, two days ago. Now I can say that I actually like it and will ride again.

Eric

Favorite moment would have to be sitting by my friend for her first ride on accelerator. She's pretty timid coaster-wise and for her to ride it, made her that much cooler in my eyes. Needless to say we rode it again.