TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Most memorable coaster moment of 2008?

How is Blue Streak holding up? Would it need a lot of work to get it running again if the park were to make it through their 'situation'? I always thought it looked like a really great ride and have wanted to ride it for as long as I can remember.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have so many great coaster memories of 2008! First, I started my season early in March. Second, I went to Cedar Point for the fourth time & Kennywood for the first time on my birthday. Third, I went to Myrtle Beach & got the Hard Rock Park credits. Fourth (& the best one) I went on TPR's Behemoth/Ravine Flyer II & East Coast Tour! Fifth, I rode my 200th credit on the East Coast Tour which was Griffon. Sixth, I went to Las Vegas for the first time & didn't want to leave Seventh, I rode all of my top five steel coasters! Finally, I rode 632 roller coaster rides which doubled the 300 rides I rode in 2007 Only 3 months & 27 Days until my 2009 season opens up at BGE!

~Matt "Had an AMAZING 2008 coaster year" T.

Right now only 2 come to mind.

-Back in August I spent almost a full week at Knoebels. In that time I had to have gotten 5 to 10 rides on Twister and 10 to 15 rides on Phoenix.

On the last day I visited the park I stayed until closing and got the last ride on Phoenix. Luckly the ride ops. gave us two rides in a row without stopping. They even turned off all the lights too.

-My first ride on Fahrenheit because I've been waiting to ride it since they announced it. It is now my #1 steel coaster, but hopefully if I get to King's Island or Cedar Point this year, Diamondback or Maverick might top it.

Well, I feel like I have to respond to this, only because I was just sitting here thinking about it like two minutes ago....

I went to Halloween Haunt at KI with some friends of mine on a Friday night in October. Through a series of circumstances that I will not go into, I ended up on the Beast #1) Very pissed off at someone and #2) Slightly more than a little intoxicated (which could be noted by the fact that I rode near the rear of the train, something I haven't done since maybe the late '90's). Both of these conditions happened as a result of stupidity, lack of communication and, um, stupidity. Anyway, I digress.

In addition to having a great ride on the coaster (amazing how the right level of beer in your system can eliminate your feeling of getting your ass kicked by a wooden coaster), I apparently spewed forth every four letter word I know in every combination I know how to put them in. Now mind you, I don't remember this, so I say ALLEGEDLY this happened.........

Oooh, I had a ton, but these two would have to be the best:

Riddler's Revenge @ SFMM. I think it was in September, I'm not sure, but it was such an awesome ride. I got front row (thanks to single rider line ) And I got everything. A ton of hang-time, so much speed, force, and even some air-time on the bunnyhop! Aw, it was just great.

Roar @ SFDK. Actually it was a couple days ago, and just like Riddler's, it was running great. It gave an increadible ride with air-time everywhere, constant speed, great pacing, and a long ride. It was also a night ride

So many great memories:

Behemoth and Ravine Flyer II during my whirlwind 2 day road trip from Cleveland.

Highlight: getting my 400th credit

Lowlight: that 400th credit being PGA's Grizzly. Yuck. Only rode it once.

Best day: the afternoon I spent at Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. Pure coaster joy, perfect weather, crowded but not unmanageable, and just a real pleasure to be in California for the 1st time in 8 years.

879926098_SanFran2008914(Medium).jpg.03832eeaf9ea81803abf4287cdae2354.jpg

Lovin' the Giant Dipper

196997062_SanFran2008883(Medium).jpg.873f527027ad10395b427dd5b4564a25.jpg

Love this boardwalk!

265607395_SanFran2008848(Medium).jpg.a98f1364dd5450c9494ce759f20b3670.jpg

Laffing Sal at Santa Cruz

1421920853_SanFran2008478(Medium).jpg.3f7bd1089c414e4f8f75f45fc220d514.jpg

After my ride

747518940_400(Medium).jpg.bdacb9065a77f327cac53057cf52dc91.jpg

Yup....400..but on the Grizzly

159564777_OhioTripJune2008194(Medium).jpg.45fcf91e00e9bbaaaf4e74bf2a7073d5.jpg

Hard to get good pics of Ravine Flyer II

440582832_OhioTripJune2008059(Medium).jpg.776e2a30f2fcb6c59983dac2599b9532.jpg

LOVED Behemoth! And got 7 rides that day. Great ride ops!

Two highlights for me include getting to Busch Gardens Europe on a day that had absolutly no lines what-so-ever, getting 34 combined rides on the coasters of SFOG in August (14 on Goliath).

Also finding out about Deadwood in the Wiliamston area of NC, and sharing it with the rest of TPR!

-Gary T.

Unequivocally, my ride on Minebuster at Behemoth Bash sitting next to Mr. Alvey himself. I don't think I've ever laughed that hard or had such a good time being delivered constant agony.

Dan " 'That was the first ride where I could feel my balls clacking together like a Newton's Cradle!' " Smith

Superman - Ride of Steel - 16 times in 2 hours with my best friend, a fellow enthusiast.

We went to Great Escape earlier that day, a good 2 hour drive, and it was incredibly disappointing. Driving back, we hit solid rain for a good hour of it.. and I suggested we stop on by SFNE.. with the possibility that it could still be running rides.

We get there.. the rain is slowing.. and people are leaving saying "where are YOU going? The park has been closed ALL day.. no rides at all!"

We roll in.. not even there 5 minutes.. and S:RoS starts testing. Ahh.. the joy.

Our longest wait was.. at max 5 minutes.. with re-rides thrown in at the end. The highlight of my trip this summer to be honest.

How is Blue Streak holding up? Would it need a lot of work to get it running again if the park were to make it through their 'situation'? I always thought it looked like a really great ride and have wanted to ride it for as long as I can remember.

Its held up real well. We have a group of Volunteers who are taking care of it along with George Clancy. Greg Sutterlin had it evaluated by an expert and came out with it costing only around $100,000 to get it going again after fixing some sections of track and Minor Work on the car and break system. The Tumble Bug is in good shape we had it covered during Volunteer Weeken and the Little Dipper is good to go.

Finding out about the sale of the dept was my worst memory for 2008.

Mine was riding my first SLC, Boomerang, B&M, Intamin Impulse coaster (also first inverted coaster), GCI, and spinner coaster all in the same day! Then the next day, I got to ride my first B&M Invert, Arrow Double Looper, Revolution flat ride, and the worst woodie in the world!

What a amazing weekend in Northern California

Lagoon in Utah was probably mine. Fun little park, got to ride some unique stuff like Wicked and tried some new stuff like a double loop and Jet Star II. West Coast Bash ties with Lagoon for best. WCB just pretty much owned, I can't thank Robb and Elissa enough for putting these events together.

---Brent