TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Shark jumps on to waterslide at Atlantis Resort

WFChris

TMZ...not the best news source but heres the article:

Shark Commits Suicide on Waterslide

Posted Dec 18th 2008 6:00AM by TMZ Staff

There's nothing quite like taking a cool trip down the water slide at the Atlantis Resort in The Bahamas, plunging into the refreshing pool at the end, and ... HOLY CRAP!! THAT'S A SHARK!

But it was all too real when hotel staff saw that one of the sharks from the famous resort aquarium had somehow jumped out of its tank and onto a nearby water slide -- where it managed to slide down into the pool.

It all went down before the pool opened Tuesday -- so nobody was in the water -- but here's where it gets tragic: A rep for the Atlantis tells TMZ the shark died a short time after swimming in the chlorinated water. Here's the heartbreaking statement:

"Yesterday morning at around 9:30 AM, prior to the resort's waterscape opening to guests, a 12+-year-old female reef shark jumped over an 18 inch wide and 1 foot high sustaining structure into the resort's Leap of Faith water slide.

The Atlantis Aquarists believe the shark was startled by an unusual circumstance that we have no way of defining completely. In the over ten years guests have experienced the Leap of Faith, the reef shark itself, harmless to humans as it is fed regularly by our staff, had shown no previous incidences of leaping out of the water in the marine habitat ...

... The habitat itself is part of the resort's open system which filters water from the Atlantic Ocean and is completely separated from the chlorinated water system on the slides. Once the shark fell onto the slide and into the chlorinated water, it was in significant distress.

The Marine Aquarium Operations team responded immediately and was able to retrieve the animal at the bottom of the slide and return the animal to the main marine habitat in an attempt to resuscitate her. Despite the team's best efforts to recover the animal, it died shortly after the occurrence.

There was no danger to our guests or staff, both of whom interact with these sharks daily in our various interactive programs (we have guests enter the shark habitat to swim and interact with the sharks in bathing attire only).

In fact, our concern was for the animal itself who defied nature to take this leap. The entire team at Atlantis is truly saddened by the loss of this animal who had resided in the Atlantis marine habitat for over ten years."

Follow link to see photos:

LINK: http://www.tmz.com/2008/12/18/shark-commits-suicide-on-waterslide/

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Aw, that's a really beautiful shark.

Agreed, I wonder if Aquatica is worried, aren't the commerson dolphins in something just like this. I still find both slides a terrible idea. Aquariums are Aquariums and water parks are water parks. Places like sea world are fine and the tropical fish at Aquatica are fine, but honestly if you are cold coming off a ride and dripping do you really want to look at an animal. Honestly they should just have an aquarium.

I hope nothing happens to the commerson's they are Extremely rare(I heard) and look magnificent

Agreed, I wonder if Aquatica is worried, aren't the commerson dolphins in something just like this. I still find both slides a terrible idea. Aquariums are Aquariums and water parks are water parks. Places like sea world are fine and the tropical fish at Aquatica are fine, but honestly if you are cold coming off a ride and dripping do you really want to look at an animal. Honestly they should just have an aquarium.

Yeah, it does get pretty cold in the Bahamas.

I've ridden this slide.....and watched the sharks immediately afterward. I love the idea. What happened to the shark was a VERY rare occurrence. If there was any worry about the sharks' well being, then surely one of the many expert shark consultants involved in the aquarium's design would not have let it be built that way. In reality, both the sharks and the people watching them are safer in that environment than they are offshore around Atlantis.

268566402_NewImage.JPG.0c1414d40591a933fcf00e3bb543fe34.JPG

Here's a pic just for reference as to where the shark entered the slide.

I can already picture the general public saying: "Hey, do you guys know that this one time a shark jumped into a waterslide and slid all the way down"

I can almost garentee sometime when im at a waterpark i'm goign to hear a refrence to this.

^ I would have to agree with you. Considering its a 'TMZ exclusive,' we can now know that this is guarenteed to be heard around the nation by the most intelligent of citizens. You know, the ones who WATCH TMZ.

Still dont agree? Well, click the story link and read the 'user comments.' A wonderful showcase of Americas finest, for sure.

chris.

Still dont agree? Well, click the story link and read the 'user comments.' A wonderful showcase of Americas finest, for sure.

This is proably the star of the show right here:

WHO REALLY CARES????? ITS A STUPID SHARK.....I SWEAR IF PETA OR ASCPA GETS ON THIS AND TALKS ABOUT FISH AND SHARK RIGHTS I AM GOING TO GO KICK A DOG OR SOMETHING JUST TO SHOW THEM HOW MORONIC THEY ARE.....WE ARE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE WORST RECESSION SINCE THE GREAT DEPRESSION AND WE ARE SUPPOSED TO CARE ABOUT ANIMALS?!!!!?!?!?!? INSANITY